Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Intelli track Points as User tracks in Camera Track

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

ManiRatnam

Intelli track Points as User tracks in Camera Track

PostSun Apr 14, 2024 12:07 pm

I like the new intelli track feature . First of all thank you very much BMD for that . But as a extension of that which will massively help the VFX users using fusion will be the feature to include or import that user tracked intelli trackers into camera tracker . Then it will be helpful for solving in getting less errors in camera movement . Hope that this feature will be included in the near future.

Theodor Groeneboom

Re: Intelli track Points as User tracks in Camera Track

PostTue Apr 16, 2024 7:47 am

Yes, PLEASE PLEASE improve the camera tracker with support for custom tracks. Or at least import tracks from a regular 2d tracker...

Olivier MATHIEU

PostTue Apr 16, 2024 5:08 pm

+1
Resolve Studio 18.6.x & Fusion Studio 18.6.x | MacOS 13.6.x | GUI : 3840 x 2160 | Ntw : 10Gb/s
MacbookPro M2 Max

Editor, Compositing Artist
Davinci Resolve & Fusion Certified Trainer

Joe Shapiro

PostTue Apr 16, 2024 5:09 pm

+1
Director, Editor, Problem Solver. Been cutting indie features for 23 years. FCP editor from version 2 to 7.
Resolve 18.6.6
MacBook Pro 16" M1 Max 64GB RAM, macOS 14.2.1
MacBook Air 13" M1 8GB RAM, macOS 14.2.1

KrunoSmithy

PostWed Apr 17, 2024 3:33 pm

I think the new Mocha Pro 2024 does that kind of thing. It would be a nice addition to Fusion.

In the meantime I think what most people forget is that its Fusion. Meaning you can use all the power of Fusion and its node to prepare an image so that when you track you get better and much better results. While waiting, give that a try. Its quite powerful. The point being is that we can't change the tracker tool itself other than its settings, but we can use power of fusion to prepare images it tracks. Effectively giving you the same thing as if you had this feature you requested in tracker itself.

Hendrik Proosa

PostWed Apr 17, 2024 9:13 pm

KrunoSmithy wrote:In the meantime I think what most people forget is that its Fusion.

Almost forgot that. Nodes are powerful and advanced. But why is the tracker tool unchangeable? Did they lose the source code?
I do stuff

Kel Philm

PostWed Apr 17, 2024 9:29 pm

KrunoSmithy

PostThu Apr 18, 2024 2:31 am

Hendrik Proosa wrote:
KrunoSmithy wrote:In the meantime I think what most people forget is that its Fusion.

Almost forgot that. Nodes are powerful and advanced. But why is the tracker tool unchangeable? Did they lose the source code?

Obviously I meant, you the user can't change the tracker other than what is there, although one can modify it with scripts, macros, expressions etc. But I find it far easier to simply prepare the image to be easier to track with existing tracker. You get much better results and you don't have to wait for Blackmagic to do something about the tracker itself.

ManiRatnam

PostThu Apr 18, 2024 5:23 am

KrunoSmithy wrote:
Hendrik Proosa wrote:

Obviously I meant, you the user can't change the tracker other than what is there, although one can modify it with scripts, macros, expressions etc. But I find it far easier to simply prepare the image to be easier to track with existing tracker. You get much better results and you don't have to wait for Blackmagic to do something about the tracker itself.

Obviously its a feature request and not like iam waiting for it to finish my shots. Before camera tracker was introduced in fusion a camera needs to be imported from another software . And many feature films are worked that way . But it is welcome change for fusion users to have a camera tracker inside fusion. . It is improving and in the part of improvement i am hoping for this feature and asked for it . Some times in some shots the user tracks are required and helpful in camera tracker .So it will be a good feature to have .

ManiRatnam

PostThu Apr 18, 2024 5:28 am

Not yet. Thanks for posting.

birdseye

PostThu Apr 18, 2024 8:02 am

I'm curious as to what the practical use case is for this and how it would differ from using masks to isolate certain areas in a standard camera track?
Thinking about it I suppose it would allow a degree of manually input or correction.

Hendrik Proosa

PostThu Apr 18, 2024 11:25 am

birdseye wrote:I'm curious as to what the practical use case is for this and how it would differ from using masks to isolate certain areas in a standard camera track?
Thinking about it I suppose it would allow a degree of manually input or correction.

Manual feature tracks give you full manual control over what the input data for solver is. Garbage in garbage out and vice versa. There are situations where auto-generated feature tracks either aren't good or don't have any viable properties at all (too short, sliding etc). In these cases manual tracks can follow through because comper can make them work by eye. Whether it is actually something comper should do, well, it depends, it starts to slip into dedicated matchmovers (both wet- and software) territory. In camera solver which doesn't have a constraints system it might be overkill as you can't do much useful stuff with these "special" solved feature positions anyway.
I do stuff

Bryan Ray

PostFri Apr 19, 2024 2:42 am

A lot of people who do camera tracking full-time often don't use auto-tracking at all. It usually takes less time to make a dozen or two manual tracks that are certain to be useful than to cull bad autotracks.

Although I have to say that Fusion's automatic rejection of trackers that are clearly wrong is pretty good. It won't kill the subtle ones, like the edges of defocused lights, but it's not bad at removing parallax intersections.
Bryan Ray
http://www.bryanray.name
http://www.sidefx.com

KrunoSmithy

PostFri Apr 19, 2024 9:26 am

To give some extra help to trackers in Fusion, I developed a method of using Sobel Filter for edge detection and few other filters to prepare the image so its far likley to be successfully tracked. Since I started doing this, my success rate has skyrocketed. I just have a group as a template I drag and drop now before the tracker to prepare the image, track it and when it is a success, I hook the tracker back to original footage. Works really well.

sshot-3745.jpg
sshot-3745.jpg (224.1 KiB) Viewed 850 times

sshot-3564.jpg
sshot-3564.jpg (174.84 KiB) Viewed 850 times

Another great method is that if there is a color one can track. I use 3DKeyer or some other method to select the object by color and than track just hat on transparent background. It essentially acts as occlusion mask. Works really well with objects one can detect with color. Now with magic mask one can use Magic mask to track all kinds of objects first. Than use that for point or plainer tracker. Or as exclusion / occlusion mask for 3D tracker.

Olivier MATHIEU

PostSat Apr 20, 2024 5:36 am

KrunoSmithy wrote:To give some extra help to trackers in Fusion, I developed a method of using Sobel Filter for edge detection and few other filters to prepare the image so its far likley to be successfully tracked. Since I started doing this, my success rate has skyrocketed. I just have a group as a template I drag and drop now before the tracker to prepare the image, track it and when it is a success, I hook the tracker back to original footage. Works really well.

sshot-3745.jpg

sshot-3564.jpg

Another great method is that if there is a color one can track. I use 3DKeyer or some other method to select the object by color and than track just hat on transparent background. It essentially acts as occlusion mask. Works really well with objects one can detect with color. Now with magic mask one can use Magic mask to track all kinds of objects first. Than use that for point or plainer tracker. Or as exclusion / occlusion mask for 3D tracker.

Thanks for sharing
Resolve Studio 18.6.x & Fusion Studio 18.6.x | MacOS 13.6.x | GUI : 3840 x 2160 | Ntw : 10Gb/s
MacbookPro M2 Max

Editor, Compositing Artist
Davinci Resolve & Fusion Certified Trainer

Return to Fusion