Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Copy polygon mask into planar tracker

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

RobertK

Copy polygon mask into planar tracker

PostThu Apr 18, 2024 11:45 am

Hello,

I have created a simple polygon mask as shape for an object. Now I want to track something with the planar tracker. Is there a way to use or copy the polygon mask I already created as tracking region in the planar tracker? So that I don't have to draw this shape again?

I'd searched Mr google, forums and stuff, but didn't find an answer for this case.

Thanks a lot.

Robert

birdseye

Re: Copy polygon mask into planar tracker

PostThu Apr 18, 2024 7:37 pm

Set your conventional search area to cover, not just your shape but the entire area in which you will need to track the shape. Plug your mask into the occlusion input of the Planar Tracker and invert it. You will need to animate and keyframe the mask to stay on the shape while the track is in progress as, apart from the conventional search area, I don't think Fusion can drive an occlusion mask while it tracks.

KrunoSmithy

PostThu Apr 18, 2024 8:16 pm

If you want to copy existing polygon mask to be the one in plainer tracker, you can simply export your mask and import it instead of on in tracker. Here are few screenshots to illustrate it.

sshot-3769.jpg
sshot-3769.jpg (204.1 KiB) Viewed 400 times

sshot-3770.jpg
sshot-3770.jpg (200.41 KiB) Viewed 400 times

You can turn a polygon mask or rather the points on a polygon mask into individual point trackers, by selecting it and I think there is a right mouse click option in the menus somewhere to export to tracker. It will create individual trackers of all your polygon points that you can used.

As for planar tracker this does not make much sense, because its easy to draw a lose mask to track. No need to be precise, since you are tracing whole are and depending on the mode of the planar tracker, if its set to points it makes small point trackers in the search area that have the convince of acting as automatic occlusion points. When the points during track turn red it means planar tracker. has decided its not reliable and won't be included in final calculation.

RobertK

PostThu Apr 18, 2024 8:28 pm

Thank you Kruno,

the import export of the shape was exact the function I was searching for.

In the end, may be my thinking of tracking masks need some adjustments..., but good to know, how to export/ save masks.

Sander de Regt

PostThu Apr 18, 2024 9:52 pm

Please don't export and import masks this way. You will lose the connection between them.
The mask data is available right there in Fusion. You can create a new mask for the planar tracker and connect its shape to the polygon you already have. It's close to midnight here, so I don't have time to explain now, but if the polygon mask is already animated, then you can just connect the two together and you're good to go.
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

KrunoSmithy

PostThu Apr 18, 2024 9:56 pm

Sander de Regt wrote:Please don't export and import masks this way. You will lose the connection between them.

The mask data is available right there in Fusion. You can create a new mask for the planar tracker and connect its shape to the polygon you already have. It's close to midnight here, so I don't have time to explain now, but if the polygon mask is already animated, then you can just connect the two together and you're good to go.

The OP didn't specify reasons for doing it, I find it redundant but its possible to import and export masks. Its also possible to connect you pointed out as effects or occlusion mask, however I don't know if the reason for doing so is to use the mask in another composition or project or by someone else on another machine. That is the only reason why I could think someone would use this method. Otherwise, its simply easier to draw a loose are to track or if one needs an occlusion mask than connect one that is already drawn, presuming it is. Yes.

Return to Fusion