Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Is This Possible In Fusion?

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

jsghost777

Is This Possible In Fusion?

PostThu May 02, 2024 7:06 pm

Hi everyone.

I just wanted to find out if these would be possible to replicate in Fusion?

I'm specifically interested in titles 1, 2, 3, and 5 (episode 1, 2, 3, 5 in the video).

Most people are captivated by the show or TV series in general. These title animations are what hooked me and apparently I'm not alone as someone went as far as to make a video dedicated to the titles.

Before I found the video, I was creating a similar animation to the 1st one in the video, but now that I saw these title animations I'm obsessed.

If it's possible to replicate or even create something very similar in fusion, I'd appreciate it if you could give me some pointers on which nodes to use.

Bryan Ray

Re: Is This Possible In Fusion?

PostFri May 03, 2024 3:25 am

Episode 3's is the only one I think I'd reach for 3d software for--Fusion's not great at that kind of particle work. It might be possible, but it'd be way easier to get it done in a more robust simulation tool. Personally I'd reach for Houdini, but that's because it pays my bills. :lol: The others are all relatively simple use of elements composited on the logo. I don't have the time to break down all of them, but for episode 1, you'd need an element of something like burning steel wool, maybe particles to supplement the embers (or maybe not--depends on what elements you can find). Use a FastNoise multiplied by the logo's alpha as a mask, adjusting the brightness and contrast and running it through a Bitmap tool (which will automatically clamp it to a 0-1 range--the contrast operation will push the values beyond that range, which has odd effects when used as a mask). Maybe Filter in Sobel mode followed by an ErodeDilate to keep it confined to close to the edges.

Actionvfx is a good source for the kind of elements you need: https://www.actionvfx.com/collections/b ... ck-footage
Bryan Ray
http://www.bryanray.name
http://www.sidefx.com

Sam Steti

PostFri May 03, 2024 7:36 am

Yes, it is possible... :ugeek:
I'll post here soon
*MacMini M1 16 Go - Ext nvme SSDs on TB3 - 14 To HD in 2 x 4 disks USB3 towers
*Legacy MacPro 8core Xeons, 32 Go ram, 2 x gtx 980 ti, 3SSDs including RAID
*Resolve Studio everywhere, Fusion Studio too
*https://www.buymeacoffee.com/videorhin

jsghost777

PostSat May 04, 2024 9:44 am

Bryan Ray wrote:Episode 3's is the only one I think I'd reach for 3d software for--Fusion's not great at that kind of particle work. It might be possible, but it'd be way easier to get it done in a more robust simulation tool. Personally I'd reach for Houdini, but that's because it pays my bills. :lol: The others are all relatively simple use of elements composited on the logo. I don't have the time to break down all of them, but for episode 1, you'd need an element of something like burning steel wool, maybe particles to supplement the embers (or maybe not--depends on what elements you can find). Use a FastNoise multiplied by the logo's alpha as a mask, adjusting the brightness and contrast and running it through a Bitmap tool (which will automatically clamp it to a 0-1 range--the contrast operation will push the values beyond that range, which has odd effects when used as a mask). Maybe Filter in Sobel mode followed by an ErodeDilate to keep it confined to close to the edges.

Actionvfx is a good source for the kind of elements you need: https://www.actionvfx.com/collections/b ... ck-footage

And Episode 3's title is my favorite one of them all. I was practicing the bullet hole one but I'm guessing if you want to make that purely in a program without using external effects then a 3D software will also be the better option?

Is it possible, for example, the title from episode 5, to do that in fusion without external elements? Particularly the flaking effect?

Actually, I think the better way to ask my question is: can this be done by using only the nodes in fusion?

Sam Steti

PostSat May 04, 2024 10:49 am

Hey

I almost forgot to come by ;)

https://we.tl/t-eI3kTALwYE

:)

KrunoSmithy

PostSat May 04, 2024 12:33 pm

jsghost777 wrote:And Episode 3's title is my favorite one of them all. I was practicing the bullet hole one but I'm guessing if you want to make that purely in a program without using external effects then a 3D software will also be the better option?

Is it possible, for example, the title from episode 5, to do that in fusion without external elements? Particularly the flaking effect?

Actually, I think the better way to ask my question is: can this be done by using only the nodes in fusion?

Yes. Everything there can be done in fusion, for sure.

I mean I just made this for practice in Fusion, so you can definitely make some what seems like a simple stuff with titles.

Just Testing Realistic Fire In Blackmagic Fusion With Particles. (WIP)

Just Bending Stuff In Blackmagic Fusion (Test)

I've posted some tutorials on the other thread where you asked, but I'll just copy paste it here.

Yes, all of them can be created in Fusion. And much more advance than that.

Title 1: Advanced Burn Effect - BMD Fusion - Tutorial

Title 2: Is mostly just animating a bullet hole that you can paint in something like Photoshop or Fusion if you like and animating it to appear by using a mask or keyframes. You can create smoke and sparks from gun shot holes with particles.

Title 3: Is logo particle dissolve type tutorials. Just search for those.

Particle Dissolve Text & Logo Animation in DaVinci Resolve - FREE Template and Fusion Tutorial

LOGO Animation - Turn your Logo into Particles - Davinci Resolve Fusion Tutorial

Create Text Particle Dissolve Blowing Away Effect Using Fusion Particle Tools in DaVinci Resolve 17

Particle Text | DaVinci Resolve 18 |

Create a Cool Logo Dissolve Effect in DaVinci Resolve | Step-by-Step Guide

Particle Dissolve Anything Without Limits - DaVinci Resolve Fusion Tutorial 2 | NEW Template

Fusion 17: Logo Particle dissolve

Title 4: is pretty easy to just use some footage of blood splatter and put it over the top of the logo or title.

Title 5: Dacey effect can be accomplished in many ways. Depend on what you want to do. If you want to go with a timeleapse style animation you can create title being warn down as a sequence and just play it as a slideshow. Which seems to be what they have done in the video. Or you can make it more procedural where you choose how it decays. Usually you would use fast noise or something to reveal normal title and one with texture that is all warn down. You can look into tutorials for fusion about fast noise title or logo reveal-

You can use this tutorial to create a texture that is all rusted down and destroyed

: Fusion 6 - 3D Texture Overview

And use this concept just with different fast noise pattern to reveal the damage over time.

Digital/Pixel Logo Reveal - Davinci Resolve Tutorial

Title 6: Is just glow effect. Not very good one.

Title 7: Is not that great in my view. Maybe some dripping stuff like this would be interesting.

Продвинутое текстурирование 2D титров в Davinci Resolve Fusion

Realistic Bleeding Effect in BMD Fusion

Bryan Ray

PostSat May 04, 2024 1:05 pm

jsghost777 wrote: I was practicing the bullet hole one but I'm guessing if you want to make that purely in a program without using external effects then a 3D software will also be the better option?

I'm quite sure I wouldn't waste my time making 3d bullet holes unless I needed to see more than one vantage point on them. Those look like photographs of the holes left by a large rod driven through some kind of lightweight board. Maybe some of that really thin drywall? It looks like it's covered in paper, at any rate, and it has a bit of thickness to it. I'm almost certain it's a photographed element, although they're so uniformly round that I think they're likely to be something more controlled than an actual bullet.

Someone who's skilled at element photography could probably make better guesses. It's not something I've done much of.

jsghost777 wrote:Is it possible, for example, the title from episode 5, to do that in fusion without external elements? Particularly the flaking effect?

If you want to waste hours and hours of your time, sure; you could paint it. Fusion's not the greatest tool for painting, but it can be done. Or you can spend a much smaller amount of time finding textures, or shooting them yourself.

As I look at that one a bit harder, it looks like it's probably three to five layers of distressed paint, blending each layer on in series, with some warping to do the tearing in places like the top of the 'u'. There's certainly some kind of noise texture being used to make the fade-in more natural.

I'd guess the artist created a normal map based on the final state of the paint peeling and scaled up the intensity over time to punch up the drama of the lighting.

If you look at that peeling flake on the stem of the 'a', you can see that it's not actually a simulation or anything. It's just another layer fading in. It looks like they might have slightly delayed the reveal of the "flap" that breaks the letter's profile so you see the spot it came from appear first, and then the flap, which makes it look like it's moving when it actually isn't. The trick is to create just enough visual chaos that the viewer's eye doesn't settle to scrutinize any one spot.
Bryan Ray

Sam Steti

PostSat May 04, 2024 1:09 pm

If you want to waste hours and hours of your time, sure; you could paint it. Fusion's not the greatest tool for painting, but it can be done. Or you can spend a much smaller amount of time finding textures, or shooting them yourself.

This. 200% agreed.

KrunoSmithy

PostSat May 04, 2024 1:19 pm

Bryan Ray wrote:If you want to waste hours and hours of your time, sure; you could paint it. Fusion's not the greatest tool for painting, but it can be done. Or you can spend a much smaller amount of time finding textures, or shooting them yourself.

Actually you can just use a bitmap that you can find online.... like here: https://pngimg.com/image/6051 and use that, to load it up as a bitmap for brush and paint ready made bullet holes anywhere you want. Easy. Or paint one and use duplicate/replicate or whatever its called node to randomly place it on screen and rotate it, than just use a simple polygon or B-spline or rectangle mask to reveal it over the title.

Also one could use same images as particle bitmap and have them generate randomly, few of them.

Bryan Ray

PostSat May 04, 2024 1:32 pm

... isn't that what I said? That's what I meant by "finding textures."

Although I'd not trust a freebie found on a clip art site in production. Last thing you want to do is open a client up to a lawsuit because persons unknown tried to apply a CC license to copyrighted material.
Bryan Ray

KrunoSmithy

PostSat May 04, 2024 2:00 pm

Bryan Ray wrote:... isn't that what I said? That's what I meant by "finding textures."

Although I'd not trust a freebie found on a clip art site in production. Last thing you want to do is open a client up to a lawsuit because persons unknown tried to apply a CC license to copyrighted material.

Finding textures. Yes. Fair enough. Sure. You can find textures on various sites that offer it royalty free so that should not be too much a problem.

I meant for your comment on how hard would it be to paint it with a paint tool in Fusion. True, but of course you could load a up images or even video as a brush to paint with. I mean if you have some video game or something around, you could screen record yourself shooting into a wall or something in a game, get that footage into fusion and load it up as a brush, since it supports videos. You can modify it as needed and apply it to the title sequence. You said, record bullet holes yourself, that gave me an idea when I read that and saw some game footage of people shooting a wall. That is already made animation. Not sure about the copyright, but I doubt anyone could link it to your own footage made in a video game. Can it? I think probably not.

Besides I think there are free video games out there that use Unreal Engine of something similar, that could be used to get bullet holes footage and that would be free to use if I'm not mistaken.

Bryan Ray

PostSat May 04, 2024 7:02 pm

KrunoSmithy wrote:Besides I think there are free video games out there that use Unreal Engine of something similar, that could be used to get bullet holes footage and that would be free to use if I'm not mistaken.

You are mistaken. I mean, it's fine for your own projects, but if you turn something like that over to a client, and somebody happens to recognize their element, you get your employer blackballed and yourself fired, and possibly sued. Waaay better to just go ahead and pay the tiny bit of money to properly license an element or make it yourself.

Just because you can obtain something free of charge does not mean it's free for use. And when doing work on behalf of somebody else, don't take those kinds of risks.

Same goes for fonts, by the way. If you're doing work for someone else, pay for the licenses and build that cost into your bid. If it's just for you, measure your risk and do whatever you feel comfortable with. (I'll not disclose my own comfort level, but suffice to say that my advice is more conservative than my actions :lol: )
Bryan Ray

jsghost777

PostSun May 05, 2024 7:08 am

Bryan Ray wrote:
KrunoSmithy wrote:Besides I think there are free video games out there that use Unreal Engine of something similar, that could be used to get bullet holes footage and that would be free to use if I'm not mistaken.

You are mistaken. I mean, it's fine for your own projects, but if you turn something like that over to a client, and somebody happens to recognize their element, you get your employer blackballed and yourself fired, and possibly sued. Waaay better to just go ahead and pay the tiny bit of money to properly license an element or make it yourself.

Just because you can obtain something free of charge does not mean it's free for use. And when doing work on behalf of somebody else, don't take those kinds of risks.

Same goes for fonts, by the way. If you're doing work for someone else, pay for the licenses and build that cost into your bid. If it's just for you, measure your risk and do whatever you feel comfortable with. (I'll not disclose my own comfort level, but suffice to say that my advice is more conservative than my actions :lol: )

This entire discussion is the reason I want to create everything using nodes only without having to download external sources whether paid or unpaid. I'm too scared to download and use free stuff because they're not always free to use in terms of commercial licensing and so on. I would rather sit for days or weeks and do it with nodes, because once the system is built you can just reuse it, and you don't have to worry about getting any kind of trouble like getting sued or anything. I would rather go to 3D software to create a texture, or learn to create the textures, then use that. In terms of paying for licensed textures, I don't mind doing that but at the moment I'm simply learning Davinci Resolve (Fusion in particular) and so it doesn't make sense for me to spend money when I won't be making anything back any time soon. Once I do get to a stage where I'm doing work for clients and time is of the essence then I'll definitely work that into my fees and rather purchase licensed textures/whatever is needed.

On a different note, I've got a really stupid question. I'll explain first then ask the question: So, during the week I created a sort of paper burning effect and added a particle system to it so it looks like embers rising from the burning effect. In the end, it's connected to a text node and the entire effect ends up looking like the text catches fire and burns up into ash. I'm not happy with how it looks, and I also want to change the text from normal text node to 3D text node. But I started from scratch as I need to learn what makes everything work and how to connect it without having to struggle like I currently am.

Here's my question: What on earth makes the text dissolve with particles? I cannot get it to work again. I've even been going back to my previous node tree to see what I did and I seem to have everything connected in a similar way, just less nodes at the moment, and then the 3D text instead of standard text node, but I can't get the particles to dissolve with the text. And I have no idea how I figured it out with my previous animation :lol:

jsghost777

PostSun May 05, 2024 7:19 am

KrunoSmithy wrote:
jsghost777 wrote:And Episode 3's title is my favorite one of them all. I was practicing the bullet hole one but I'm guessing if you want to make that purely in a program without using external effects then a 3D software will also be the better option?

Yes. Everything there can be done in fusion, for sure.

I mean I just made this for practice in Fusion, so you can definitely make some what seems like a simple stuff with titles.

Just Testing Realistic Fire In Blackmagic Fusion With Particles. (WIP)

Just Bending Stuff In Blackmagic Fusion (Test)

I've posted some tutorials on the other thread where you asked, but I'll just copy paste it here.

Yes, all of them can be created in Fusion. And much more advance than that.

Title 1: Advanced Burn Effect - BMD Fusion - Tutorial

Title 2: Is mostly just animating a bullet hole that you can paint in something like Photoshop or Fusion if you like and animating it to appear by using a mask or keyframes. You can create smoke and sparks from gun shot holes with particles.

Title 3: Is logo particle dissolve type tutorials. Just search for those.

Particle Dissolve Text & Logo Animation in DaVinci Resolve - FREE Template and Fusion Tutorial

LOGO Animation - Turn your Logo into Particles - Davinci Resolve Fusion Tutorial

Create Text Particle Dissolve Blowing Away Effect Using Fusion Particle Tools in DaVinci Resolve 17

Particle Text | DaVinci Resolve 18 |

Create a Cool Logo Dissolve Effect in DaVinci Resolve | Step-by-Step Guide

Particle Dissolve Anything Without Limits - DaVinci Resolve Fusion Tutorial 2 | NEW Template

Fusion 17: Logo Particle dissolve

Title 4: is pretty easy to just use some footage of blood splatter and put it over the top of the logo or title.

Title 5: Dacey effect can be accomplished in many ways. Depend on what you want to do. If you want to go with a timeleapse style animation you can create title being warn down as a sequence and just play it as a slideshow. Which seems to be what they have done in the video. Or you can make it more procedural where you choose how it decays. Usually you would use fast noise or something to reveal normal title and one with texture that is all warn down. You can look into tutorials for fusion about fast noise title or logo reveal-

You can use this tutorial to create a texture that is all rusted down and destroyed

: Fusion 6 - 3D Texture Overview

And use this concept just with different fast noise pattern to reveal the damage over time.

Digital/Pixel Logo Reveal - Davinci Resolve Tutorial

Title 6: Is just glow effect. Not very good one.

Title 7: Is not that great in my view. Maybe some dripping stuff like this would be interesting.

Продвинутое текстурирование 2D титров в Davinci Resolve Fusion

Realistic Bleeding Effect in BMD Fusion

That realistic fire is very good. I like how you can see the heat waves from the flame as well. I'm watching the tutorials. The Burn one for some reason glitches for me every time I do it. I've done it twice and every time near the end something on my side goes wrong and the effect doesn't work. Still trying to figure out why. One of the other tutorials I had an issue with because of Resolve 19 Beta, but it seems they've now resolved the issue. It crashed every time I selected my pEmitter to be bitmap. So now that that's fixed (I sent a ton of crash reports their way :lol: ) I'll get back to the tutorial.

My only problem with tutorials is they don't always explain why they do stuff and I get so caught up in trying to follow along I don't learn as much as I should (this is a me problem, not the tutorials fault). Which is why I'll watch it and try to do it on my own afterwards. I know I watched a tutorial on particles which then gave me an idea to do my paper burning effect which was great, except I now forgot how exactly the particles connect and interact with other systems, in this case a text node, and for some reason I just can't figure it out - what makes particles dissolve text/logos?

jsghost777

PostSun May 05, 2024 7:25 am

Sam Steti wrote:Hey

How do you figure out which nodes to use? Is there perhaps like a go-to preset of sorts to always start off with and then branch out to different nodes to see what they do?

At the moment I'm always starting with a text node, then particles systems and fast noise. I'm not sure if that's a good enough foundation or if there are better ways to go about it.

As in the Burn tutorial KrunoSmithy posted, the guy did everything without using a particle system which was very interesting - especially where he creates smoke. But if I were to try that on my own, I wouldn't have a clue how to do it yet

jsghost777

PostSun May 05, 2024 7:41 am

Bryan Ray wrote:
jsghost777 wrote: I was practicing the bullet hole one but I'm guessing if you want to make that purely in a program without using external effects then a 3D software will also be the better option?

I'm quite sure I wouldn't waste my time making 3d bullet holes unless I needed to see more than one vantage point on them. Those look like photographs of the holes left by a large rod driven through some kind of lightweight board. Maybe some of that really thin drywall? It looks like it's covered in paper, at any rate, and it has a bit of thickness to it. I'm almost certain it's a photographed element, although they're so uniformly round that I think they're likely to be something more controlled than an actual bullet.

Someone who's skilled at element photography could probably make better guesses. It's not something I've done much of.

jsghost777 wrote:Is it possible, for example, the title from episode 5, to do that in fusion without external elements? Particularly the flaking effect?

As I look at that one a bit harder, it looks like it's probably three to five layers of distressed paint, blending each layer on in series, with some warping to do the tearing in places like the top of the 'u'. There's certainly some kind of noise texture being used to make the fade-in more natural.

I'd guess the artist created a normal map based on the final state of the paint peeling and scaled up the intensity over time to punch up the drama of the lighting.

If you look at that peeling flake on the stem of the 'a', you can see that it's not actually a simulation or anything. It's just another layer fading in. It looks like they might have slightly delayed the reveal of the "flap" that breaks the letter's profile so you see the spot it came from appear first, and then the flap, which makes it look like it's moving when it actually isn't. The trick is to create just enough visual chaos that the viewer's eye doesn't settle to scrutinize any one spot.

"I'm quite sure I wouldn't waste my time making 3d bullet holes" - I did this once in Photoshop (which I'm also new to), then in Blender (which I'm also new to :lol: ) ... I started on those two programs just to learn something new, like a hobby of sorts. But Davinci Resolve - man I love this program. Before I bought it I was trying a bunch of other software and I just didn't click with them - Final Cut, Premiere Pro/After Effects, Capcut, Sony Vegas, Hitfilm, and a few others I can't remember right now. Then I somehow came across resolve. Instantly loved it. Used it for a few months then bought the studio version. This is something I want to do more than just a hobby. Just so you understand why I'm very focused on the whole "Is this possible in Fusion/Davinci Resolve" part. I want to be able to do 95% of the stuff in one software and only use other software if it really can't be done in Davinci.

You mentioned Houdini, which is also your source of income. Have you ever used Blender, and what are your thoughts on it? I particularly gravitated towards geometry nodes, though that stuff much like fusion gets super hard very quick (for me at least). I also got stuck in tutorial land which wasn't great, and is something I'm actively avoiding with regards to Davinci - as I would do hours and hours of blender/photoshop tutorials step-by-step without actually sitting with the software and learning how to use it by myself.

Sam Steti

PostSun May 05, 2024 8:45 am

jsghost777 wrote:
Sam Steti wrote:Hey

How do you figure out which nodes to use? Is there perhaps like a go-to preset of sorts to always start off with and then branch out to different nodes to see what they do?

At the moment I'm always starting with a text node, then particles systems and fast noise. I'm not sure if that's a good enough foundation or if there are better ways to go about it.

As in the Burn tutorial KrunoSmithy posted, the guy did everything without using a particle system which was very interesting - especially where he creates smoke. But if I were to try that on my own, I wouldn't have a clue how to do it yet

Hey,
A lot of questions here huh ? ;). No problem, asking is starting to learn...
Personally I used particles to dissolve the text - which could obviously be an image etc - and giving a quick look at a few secs of any of the video in the bunch posted above, my eye - and yours may to as it's based on the final look'n'feel - noted that my comp must have been done like the one in the video named "a cool logo..." (though I didn't investigate the node flow there), at least it looks the same. And I recognize the principle of a polygon scanning the image to turn it into particles.

And yes, as any of the Fusion comps, if you think it's satisfying your needs, you may save it fo re-use afterwards with other assets, why not.

Finally, a word about the fire, and "the heat waves" you quite appropriate mentioned. One you have your fire, however you made it in your comp (or even added it another way), what you noticed and seals it all together is called Heat Distortion and here as well, one you've made one you like and find efficient, it's likely you'll be able to adapt it to your next comps when needed, or perhaps make a macro with it ;)

Bryan Ray

PostSun May 05, 2024 3:37 pm

jsghost777 wrote:You mentioned Houdini, which is also your source of income. Have you ever used Blender, and what are your thoughts on it? I particularly gravitated towards geometry nodes, though that stuff much like fusion gets super hard very quick (for me at least). I also got stuck in tutorial land which wasn't great, and is something I'm actively avoiding with regards to Davinci - as I would do hours and hours of blender/photoshop tutorials step-by-step without actually sitting with the software and learning how to use it by myself.

I've opened Blender briefly from time to time, mostly in order to convert some asset from .blend to a more useful format. I don't think I've used it since they added the geometry nodes. But the geo nodes, from what I understand, are pretty similar to Houdini's workflow.

--
You mentioned trying to move your effect from the 2d Text+ to a Text3D, and that won't generally work. The 2d and 3d environments in Fusion are quite different. What you might be able to accomplish is to make the 3d text and render it, then apply the same 2d effects to the rendered text.

--
I think I mentioned it elsewhere, but something I like to do to learn software is to run tutorials from its competitors. If you can figure out how to replicate a Nuke tutorial in Fusion, you not only learn what the nodes do at a deeper level than you would from doing the tutorial "correctly," but you're also apt to learn the why behind choosing a particular tool. I won't lie, though: doing things this way is way more difficult!

--
On the topic of the bullet holes specifically, I realized last night what those elements probably are: The results of a hole saw on drywall:
https://imgur.com/Qg1ukjA

This hole's been painted over, of course, but you can see that it has a similar kind of lip to it. Yes, it is entirely possible to paint or model a hole like this. But the alternative is to go down to the hardware store, buy a $10 drill accessory and ask for some drywall scraps. Assuming you have a decent camera (at the needed resolution, any modern smart phone should be good enough), all you need to do is find a spot outdoors on a bright day that's not in direct sunlight.

Other textures are likely to be more difficult. You can probably find materials that are slightly to moderately distressed, but the old peeling paint is rarer and could take some hunting if you wanted to shoot it yourself. Or buckle down and start either painting or modeling. Only you know what your time is worth.

If you do decide to paint textures, Fusion's painting capabilities are far behind a dedicated paint app. Photoshop is usually a better choice, or something like Krita.
Bryan Ray

jsghost777

PostSun May 05, 2024 3:52 pm

You mentioned trying to move your effect from the 2d Text+ to a Text3D, and that won't generally work. The 2d and 3d environments in Fusion are quite different. What you might be able to accomplish is to make the 3d text and render it, then apply the same 2d effects to the rendered text.

Ah man, I finally got it. A whole new node tree, similar aspects to the previous one but also quite different, but I finally managed to get the same effect with the 3DText nodes. Took me the whole day, but it's worth it. I want to get to the point where I don't need to think and wonder about what to do, how to do it, where to connect, etc. Just want to sit down, and within a few minutes have the node tree connected and then just fiddle with the values until I'm satisfied. But for now, it's do, forget what I did, try to redo, take breaks, cause some bizarre Davinci crashes and then, perhaps accidentally, getting things "right".

What you said about redoing for example nuke tutorials inside fusion is different but similar to what I'm currently doing. But I didn't even think about doing something like that, despite having watched tutorials where they were doing exactly that. I'll add that to my list of things to do to learn fusion.

On another note, I was wondering if perhaps you knew of someone who gives great tutorials on video editing in resolve or just in general. I might as well start to learn the entire program (color page I'll get to last as that one intimidates me). I want to start creating videos to which I can add what I make in fusion, but my editing skills are about on par with my ability to make Davinci use 100GB of Ram on a 16GB Macbook while not even having a node tree with more than 5 nodes :lol:

jsghost777

PostSun May 05, 2024 4:56 pm

KrunoSmithy:

I was wondering, have you ever run into something like this when using particles: So, I set up a particle system: emitter>pspawn>directionalforce>turbulence>tangentforce>renderer ... Pspawn is set to bitmap into which I feed a few nodes to create a mask to limit the effect's boundaries. Now, on my new node tree, everything works quite well. Except my "flames" look like they glitch every now and then when playing back. So it's like they appear, then grow, then almost as if it's looped and restarts so there are moments when it appears to vanish and reappear then grow bigger only to repeat this throughout the 10 seconds of the clip.

I've gone through and deactivated nodes and played with the values but I can't find what causes it. Not sure if this is perhaps a glitch because I'm using the Beta version or if I did something wrong. It also takes ages to render, which has me thinking I'm doing something wrong.

So I'm just curious if you've experienced something like this and what's the best method of finding the issue?

Here's a video of what I mean. I set playback quality to low and removed all other elements, it still glitches...

KrunoSmithy

PostSun May 05, 2024 6:46 pm

jsghost777 wrote:KrunoSmithy:

I was wondering, have you ever run into something like this when using particles: So, I set up a particle system: emitter>pspawn>directionalforce>turbulence>tangentforce>renderer ... Pspawn is set to bitmap into which I feed a few nodes to create a mask to limit the effect's boundaries. Now, on my new node tree, everything works quite well. Except my "flames" look like they glitch every now and then when playing back. So it's like they appear, then grow, then almost as if it's looped and restarts so there are moments when it appears to vanish and reappear then grow bigger only to repeat this throughout the 10 seconds of the clip.

I've gone through and deactivated nodes and played with the values but I can't find what causes it. Not sure if this is perhaps a glitch because I'm using the Beta version or if I did something wrong. It also takes ages to render, which has me thinking I'm doing something wrong.

So I'm just curious if you've experienced something like this and what's the best method of finding the issue?

Here's a video of what I mean. I set playback quality to low and removed all other elements, it still glitches...

Other than having some setting limit the number of frames to render, I am not sure. Check to make sure your pRender node and other nodes are matching in terms of frames to be active. That probably is some inconsistency between various nodes. You can post it here in forum, so we can check it out.

Speaking of glitches. I was working on this bullet holes thing on a text in 3D and 2D, but when Fusion crashed it didn't save the progress automatically as usual, so I am afraid I lost the progress. But I got a screenshot from the work in progress (WIP) it was not finished. But gives you some sense. If I find some more free time., I might continue. Probably will end up looking different.

Bullit holes.jpeg
Bullit holes.jpeg (219.11 KiB) Viewed 1329 times

Honeyview_Bullit holes Shoot Test 119.jpg
Honeyview_Bullit holes Shoot Test 119.jpg (600.24 KiB) Viewed 1329 times

I animated the sparks and smoke with particles and I found an image of a bullet hole. But probably could be better and more efficiently done.

jsghost777

PostMon May 06, 2024 1:45 pm

KrunoSmithy

Oh man, it's a pity it crashed. That was looking good already. Would've loved to see the final product.

I've had a few crashes myself, and even though I have live save on, it didn't save everything.

As for my new node tree with the glitching flames, that file has something wrong with it. I think I might've connected stuff up wrong because the moment I open it and try to do anything it crashes. It's even worse when I go on my Mac because it's a much weaker computer than my pc.

I'll go the same route as you - restart it and see what happens. I'm not too bummed about it as it forces me to redo and learn more. But, I must say, compared to my first time doing the effect this one looked a hundred times better, plus I had 3D text which looked a lot nicer.

I also seem to have an issue with the pspawn node. The moment I put that in any of my files things go haywire. And I set it very low. Like 0.05 maybe up to 0.5 ... Again, these issues might be because of me using the beta version (HIGHLY unlikely), but I'm more convinced it's me not knowing how to use the nodes properly and causing some type of feedback loop or something that makes it inoperable.

jsghost777

PostMon May 06, 2024 1:54 pm

I don't know if this is practical or not, but I was trying something today and it didn't work out. Then I thought of something but it doesn't sound like the way to go, and I also don't entirely know how to do it: if I've got a white logo on a black background, is it possible to use something like create bumpmap and displace nodes to bring out the logo almost as if 3D but in order to only animate the logo with particles? So sort of separate the whites and blacks, and animate the whites only.

Or would it be better to key out the black background, animate the logo and add in a separate background for it? This latter part I can do, though I'd lose the 3D type effect that the bumpmap gives.

Hopefully what I just wrote makes sense

KrunoSmithy

PostMon May 06, 2024 3:38 pm

jsghost777 wrote:I don't know if this is practical or not, but I was trying something today and it didn't work out. Then I thought of something but it doesn't sound like the way to go, and I also don't entirely know how to do it: if I've got a white logo on a black background, is it possible to use something like create bumpmap and displace nodes to bring out the logo almost as if 3D but in order to only animate the logo with particles? So sort of separate the whites and blacks, and animate the whites only.

Yes. You can.

Davinci Resolve & Fusion - Realistic Cobra Kai Emblem (teaser)

Davinci Resolve & Fusion - Epic Cinematic Titles! Teaser ( 100% Blackmagic )

Blackmagic Fusion | 3DText Animation (100% Fusion)

DaVinci Resolve & Fusion _ Create amazing titles ( Rival After Effects )

When I was starting in fusion, I made this out of an image put on image plane and some 2D flares.

Just Testing Lens Flare In Blackmagic Fusion Resolve

And this is one my latest ones: Just Testing Realistic Fire In Blackmagic Fusion With Particles. (WIP)

You can find more info here: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=200761

And this is one I made just now. Testing bump maps and all that. Grab some image, play around with it and see what you come up with. There are endless possibilities.

Tracking Basket Ball_00_00_00_00a.jpg
Tracking Basket Ball_00_00_00_00a.jpg (108.58 KiB) Viewed 1177 times

Tracking Basket Ball_00_00_00_00.jpg
Tracking Basket Ball_00_00_00_00.jpg (840.88 KiB) Viewed 1177 times

jsghost777

PostMon May 06, 2024 4:33 pm

KrunoSmithy:

Man oh man, that second video sent chills down my spine. I never knew I'd be into stuff like this but I absolutely love it. I checked out your link as well. I'll definitely be going through your node tree to see which nodes you used, and try and figure out what each one does and why. It's a great way to learn.

Just want to drop this here: EVERYONE doing this type of stuff is amazing. Hopefully I can add myself to the list in a year or two

KrunoSmithy

PostMon May 06, 2024 4:35 pm

jsghost777 wrote:KrunoSmithy:

Man oh man, that second video sent chills down my spine. I never knew I'd be into stuff like this but I absolutely love it. I checked out your link as well. I'll definitely be going through your node tree to see which nodes you used, and try and figure out what each one does and why. It's a great way to learn.

Just want to drop this here: EVERYONE doing this type of stuff is amazing. Hopefully I can add myself to the list in a year or two

Thanks. Keep on practicing. 8-)

jsghost777

PostSun May 12, 2024 3:11 pm

I've figured out where things go wrong for me during this tutorial. It's the "Trails" node. The moment I get to about 13:46, where the Alpha node is connected to the trails node as a mask, the effect no longer works. Instead of the text fading away with the animation, it just stays fades a little bit but the text doesn't disappear, almost as if opacity or blend or alpha is turned down a bit. I tried the motion trails node, but it doesn't give the smoke effect, though when I connect it, I get the text to disappear with the animation.

I'm not sure whether it's because I'm using a too new version of resolve (Davinci Resolve 19 Public Beta 2) or if I'm experiencing a Beta version bug.
Attachments
Screenshot 2024-05-12 170727.png
Screenshot 2024-05-12 170727.png (63.42 KiB) Viewed 556 times

jsghost777

PostSun May 12, 2024 3:19 pm

When I continue with the tutorial, the text no longer burns away. At least now I know it's the trails node causing this.
Attachments
Screenshot 2024-05-12 171836.png
Screenshot 2024-05-12 171836.png (75.79 KiB) Viewed 551 times

Return to Fusion