Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

How to Work with Audio?

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Dennis Beswick

How to Work with Audio?

PostTue Nov 11, 2014 7:36 pm

Hello, I'm new here and new to compositing. I am a traditional visual artist who in the past few years got very serious in 3D art and in the process of learning 2D animation. I have some limited experience in using composite software with Sony Vegas, Premier Pro and a little bit of Combustion.

My first instinct is to get all my audio files together. I like to have an audio track along with the video so I can edit and time things together. Can this kind of workflow be done with Fusion? So far I managed to figure out how to get a sound file in by right-clicking the audio mute toggle on the timeline but that's as far as I got. Any help is appreciated.

Dennis Beswick

Re: How to Work with Audio?

PostSun Nov 16, 2014 9:32 pm

Anyone? I would really like to know where audio fits in this process. What's the significance of the audio button?

Rakesh Malik

PostSun Nov 16, 2014 9:41 pm

Fusion isn't editing software, it's compositing software. I'm not sure that it's the easiest tool for doing the entire assembly in.
Rakesh Malik
Cinematographer, photographer, adventurer, martial artist
http://WinterLight.studio
System:
Asus Flow X13, Octacore Zen3/32GB + XG Mobile nVidia RTX 3080/16GB
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

Dennis Beswick

PostSun Nov 16, 2014 10:04 pm

Thanks for your reply. I figured audio has a limited role to play in Fusion but was just wondering what that button is used for. I knew AE was not a place for audio so found it curious here. I ask as a noob to composite software the best flow to work with audio. How do you deal with the timing of effects and action that's in the footage if you want the effects to be in synch with a musical mood or beat for example?

Win Conway

PostSun Nov 16, 2014 11:07 pm

Yeah its a bit of completely stupid way to work in Fusion, no idea who came up with this idea hahaha
You would expect to use a loader to load an audio file right, erm no, you use a saver, add a saver node to your flow and in the saver controls you can load an audio file (MP3 will load but wont play, bug im guessing but why use an MP3 anyway)
The audio will play when you press play on your timeline (You can offset it too)

Stefan Ihringer

PostSun Nov 16, 2014 11:12 pm

Win Conway wrote:Yeah its a bit of completely stupid way to work in Fusion, no idea who came up with this idea hahaha
You would expect to use a loader to load an audio file right, erm no, you use a saver, add a saver node to your flow and in the saver controls you can load an audio file (MP3 will load but wont play, bug im guessing but why use an MP3 anyway)
The audio will play when you press play on your timeline (You can offset it too)

You can also load an audio file by right-clicking on the audio button. The reason why it's also in the saver is that if you save an AVI or QT it'll mux that audio file.

You can see the audio waveform in the timeline view I think.
blog and Fusion stuff: http://comp-fu.com/2012/06/fusion-script-macro-collection/

Marc van Vliet

PostSun Nov 16, 2014 11:17 pm

"Audio" from Krokodove does a nice job at these tasks. But this is audio triggered, maybe you want more control.

You can scrub through the audio in the timeline view by dragging the mouse over the waveform (enlarge it if necessary). Then set markers and use those in spline view to animate effects

I usually do my audio timing in the offline edit and use that as a ref in fusion to build the actual effects. Then perhaps back to online edit and do some last re-timing to get it just right.

Good luck!

Dennis Beswick

PostSun Nov 16, 2014 11:29 pm

I see the wave form when using the saver node. Cool. So I'm guessing if there is audio within a video file, it can be loaded into the saver's audio so we can hear the audio as we go. Thanks for the saver tip.

Win Conway

PostMon Nov 17, 2014 1:23 am

I dont see any waveform at all, maybe an option somewhere

Dennis Beswick

PostMon Nov 17, 2014 2:02 am

Win Conway wrote:I dont see any waveform at all, maybe an option somewhere

After loading the audio file in the saver node you can click on the timeline tab (where Flow is) and see the audio in the sequencer. Make sure you load the sound file in the audio panel of the saver on the side AFTER bringing in the saver to Flow, not when you click the saver tool. When you look in the timeline, next to saver, click the "+" box and you should see left and right wave forms.

Win Conway

PostMon Nov 17, 2014 4:34 am

Yeah sorry, i knew about that waveform, i thought he meant you could display the waveform in the flow timeline at the bottom ;)

Return to Fusion