Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Save us Fusion! Love Mac users

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

NordicFilmworks

Save us Fusion! Love Mac users

PostThu Dec 11, 2014 7:22 pm

Hello Blackmagic

I have used Adobe and Mac products together for more than 5 years, but this year has been tumultuous for Adobe and Mac. I'm not sure if it is Adobe ignoring Mac compositors or what, but if you go on the Adobe forums there are hundreds of posts (including a few of mine) from Mac users that have severe rendering, scrubbing, and general speed issues. Adobe only supports Nvidia for GPU on AfterEffects, even though the MacPro users have been requesting an update to support their fire cards, which ARE faster. Adobe seems to have opted to ignore the problem, as this issue is coming close to a year old... What I have decided to do is ignore Adobe. Many of Adobe's programs are so old, they need re-coding to utilize newer computer architecture.

It is my sincere hope, that Fusion spends the time and pain every year by keeping their code clean and new.

I'm leaving Adobe (at least AE and PP) for FCP, Resolve and Fusion. I was reading all the material I could on Fusion and watching videos... Renders done in seconds compared to hours... Software that can take full advantage of my hardware, should render in seconds.

I can't wait for Fusion Mac and our studio, with our 3 MacPros would be more than happy to beta test :) I might even get some VMware to try to hack it out.

Cheers,
Matt
Cheers,

Matthew Altheim

Executive Producer,
Nordic Media

www.Nordic.Media

Edmonton's video production and marketing agency!

zachnfine

Re: Save us Fusion! Love Mac users

PostFri Dec 12, 2014 1:39 am

NordicFilmworks wrote:Adobe only supports Nvidia for GPU on AfterEffects, even though the MacPro users have been requesting an update to support their fire cards, which ARE faster.

Though I am excited about Fusion, I think it's worth pointing out that Adobe does indeed support AMD GPUs in AfterEffects for everything but their 3D raytracing renderer. I suppose if you depend on the (very slow even with Nvidia) raytraced rendering mode in AfterEffects then you're out of luck, but I can assure you that AfterEffects is otherwise GPU accelerated on AMD and flies on the D700.

http://sites.amd.com/us/business/softwa ... o-gfx.aspx
http://www.fireprographics.com/ws/mae/adobe/index.asp

michael vorberg

PostFri Dec 12, 2014 10:48 am

there are several users who run fusion on macs inside of parallels. there are some limitiaions, i think no OpenCL, but you can already test it out and see if it fits you workflow/style

NordicFilmworks

PostFri Dec 12, 2014 4:25 pm

Zachnfine,

What you said is about 96% incorrect; Fire cards are only GPU accelerated on Premiere Pro. In After Effects, there is "0" or "zero" GPU acceleration working with classic 3d, which is needed in any compositing work. The only thing that is GPU accelerated in After Effects is "fast previews" but if you are using any plugins or classic 3d is pretty much standstill slow.

Please retract when you have a moment.
Cheers,

Matthew Altheim

Executive Producer,
Nordic Media

www.Nordic.Media

Edmonton's video production and marketing agency!

Return to Fusion