Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Fusion and Photography

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

David Mathis

Fusion and Photography

PostTue Aug 04, 2015 3:13 am

A bit odd but wanting to know if Fusion can be used in a photography environment even cinematography for touching up still images and stuff like that. I look forward to any response.

Alaz Soytemiz

Re: Fusion and Photography

PostTue Aug 04, 2015 7:15 am

You cannot load raw files as far as i know. But you can touch up stills if you convert them to tiff or psd i guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Windows 10 Pro 64Bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-11900K
Ram: 128GB
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti
Disks: Samsung SSD 980 PRO

Johnny Farmfield

PostTue Aug 04, 2015 11:23 am

Out at clients, often finding myself on Linux, I always use Nuke for photo retouch, color correction, etc, instead of using Gimp or Krita. Same when I want to edit HDR's, etc, even on Windows. And though I've personally never used Fusion for this, it would be the same workflow - so yeah, I would say yes, absolutely.
*** Pushing pixels, vectors and voxels since 25 years - www.farmfield-vfx.com ***

Vladimir LaFortune

PostWed Aug 05, 2015 12:30 am

Masking would be one genuine advantage over Photoshop. Spline workflow as well as paint node are miles ahead than what's available in Photoshop. Whenever I have to vector mask something in PS I have a headache due to nonsense they put it, make a path, save the path, apply the path... good god those adobe kids have no clue what they are doing.

Color Correction nodes are superior in Fusion in almost anyway except CMYK workflow, and you have great adjustment of Ranges for midtones/highlights/shadows which is unparalleled.

Add depth of field in an instance by just painting a quick depth mask, add haze, smoke, whatever

And also qualifiers! Can you imagine that an app like PS doesn't have a proper qualifier.

That's just some of the advantages to use Fusion over PS and don't forget nodes rule over layers even in still photography.

Oh and gradients are so much nicer in Fusion, Text+ node owns Type tool for headlines, see I cant stop :)

David Mathis

PostWed Aug 05, 2015 8:36 am

Vladimir LaFortune wrote:Masking would be one genuine advantage over Photoshop. Spline workflow as well as paint node are miles ahead than what's available in Photoshop. Whenever I have to vector mask something in PS I have a headache due to nonsense they put it, make a path, save the path, apply the path... good god those adobe kids have no clue what they are doing.

Color Correction nodes are superior in Fusion in almost anyway except CMYK workflow, and you have great adjustment of Ranges for midtones/highlights/shadows which is unparalleled.

Add depth of field in an instance by just painting a quick depth mask, add haze, smoke, whatever

And also qualifiers! Can you imagine that an app like PS doesn't have a proper qualifier.

That's just some of the advantages to use Fusion over PS and don't forget nodes rule over layers even in still photography.

Oh and gradients are so much nicer in Fusion, Text+ node owns Type tool for headlines, see I cant stop :)

The selections are a real pain. Took me awhile to figure out how to use one layer as a luma matte on another layer which is just crazy. I look forward to using Fusion when it is available for Mac OS X. Sure there is Motion but Fusion is going to be a huge advantage, especially with the tools it has. Not into heavy compositing, just touching up stills for a title card. I don't think learning a node based approach will be difficult, just the initial learning curve.

Chad Capeland

PostWed Aug 05, 2015 12:14 pm

David Mathis wrote:The selections are a real pain. Took me awhile to figure out how to use one layer as a luma matte on another layer which is just crazy.

Yeah, but that's just a training issue. Having the ability to interactively affect a mask on ANY effect or a combination of effects after they are applied is the benefit to the workflow that PS can't touch, so it's less of a pain and more of a step-function learning curve.
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

Stefan Ihringer

PostSat Aug 08, 2015 9:07 pm

Which reminds me... Fusion should really have a gradient mask tool. I know you can simply use a background but it doesn't connect that easily with other masking tools (ellipse, rectangle) - you always need a bitmap mask in between.

Lightroom's or Photoshop's retouch stamps are something you'd miss in Fusion though. So since Fusion can't read camera raw files (why not by the way? Nuke has been using that open source library for ages) I'd do all the initial development and blemish removals in the Adobe Suite and then process something like 16 bit tiff files in Fusion.

Every tool in Fusion is basically like an adjustment layer or smart object of all your previous work that non-destructively edits your image. That might be a big advantage but it depends on what kind of photo editing you do. If you paint a lot using a tablet and you use Photoshop's brush dynamics, color palettes and shape brushes you'll have to jump through a lot of hoops to get this in Fusion.

But if your work is compositing photographs into a final image... then a compositing application like Fusion is very beneficial 8-)
blog and Fusion stuff: http://comp-fu.com/2012/06/fusion-script-macro-collection/

Chad Capeland

PostSun Aug 09, 2015 5:12 am

Stefan Ihringer wrote:Which reminds me... Fusion should really have a gradient mask tool. I know you can simply use a background but it doesn't connect that easily with other masking tools (ellipse, rectangle) - you always need a bitmap mask in between.

The mask workflow is sort of broken, too, since the mask size can be unpredictable if you mask something other than the project format size. I'd love to have mask compositing tools but in the end I just used Fuses to make an alternative workflow that is more reliable and configurable. You lose resolution independence, but that didn't really work, so I just felt safer assuming it wasn't there.
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

mikeharper

PostWed Aug 12, 2015 10:58 pm

Hmm fusion loads raw files form Avid. I never tried from other sources.
Cheers
Computer specs are boring!
Mike Harper
Tvnet360 llc

Stefan Ihringer

PostFri Aug 14, 2015 6:14 pm

I meant raw photos (.cr2)...
blog and Fusion stuff: http://comp-fu.com/2012/06/fusion-script-macro-collection/

Chad Capeland

PostFri Aug 14, 2015 9:39 pm

Stefan Ihringer wrote:I meant raw photos (.cr2)...

Too bad you can't set the camera to save DNG.
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

Eugene Afanasiev

PostThu Sep 17, 2015 11:25 am

I convert cr2 and arw files in Adobe dngConverter and then they easily could be imported into Fusion
Attachments
11894561_1071145666237106_3091337460394796873_o.jpg
11894561_1071145666237106_3091337460394796873_o.jpg (206.5 KiB) Viewed 4149 times
__
--[[BMD's cameras and Resolve all-post workflow evangelist
My old stuff: http://www.youtube.com/rebelorelse
Debug: Asus ROG Duo GX550 i9 10980 48Gb RAM RTX2080MaxQ DaVinci Resolve Studio / Fusion Studio Latest Version]]--

Eugene Afanasiev

PostTue Dec 22, 2015 2:36 pm

One more
Attachments
5KgKXfjbtmM.jpg
5KgKXfjbtmM.jpg (302.13 KiB) Viewed 3840 times
__
--[[BMD's cameras and Resolve all-post workflow evangelist
My old stuff: http://www.youtube.com/rebelorelse
Debug: Asus ROG Duo GX550 i9 10980 48Gb RAM RTX2080MaxQ DaVinci Resolve Studio / Fusion Studio Latest Version]]--

Travis Schmiesing

PostTue Dec 22, 2015 4:14 pm

Working with photography typically means you are working with embedded ICC profiles, and want to save with an embedded ICC profile. Fusion does not support this. I am getting close to solving this with a post render script but it would nice if it were supported natively.
Last edited by Travis Schmiesing on Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Suchuāto Ritoru

PostSun Dec 27, 2015 12:54 am

Chad Capeland wrote:
David Mathis wrote:The selections are a real pain. Took me awhile to figure out how to use one layer as a luma matte on another layer which is just crazy.

Yeah, but that's just a training issue. Having the ability to interactively affect a mask on ANY effect or a combination of effects after they are applied is the benefit to the workflow that PS can't touch, so it's less of a pain and more of a step-function learning curve.

You are agrueing the point he made. IN PHOTOSHOP selections are a real pain is what is implied in his statement.

Return to Fusion