Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

[Feature Request] Centre Points controls better

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Mark Rasmussen

[Feature Request] Centre Points controls better

PostWed Sep 09, 2015 4:56 pm

Hey Rony,

The request I am interested in is for example, when you are using the transform tool or in particular the mask tool. When you establish your mask for instance, and you are zoomed in on the detail and you want to move the thing, you need to zoom out to adjust the x and y. You can enter values, but that is not always practical. You can also apply a XY Path and use the sliders, but this also is another layer of complexity. Having just the centre value seems to me to not allow for small adjustments without having to go another step. So having a slider like the rotations would be better for small adjustments and easy access.

This is probably not practical based on how fusion is setup, but having the option in pref. to have all position value be xy instead of displacement would be for me anyway a nice addition.

Cheers
Mark Rasmussen
Senior Compositor | VFX Supervisor
Enigma|FX

Steve Roberts

Blackmagic Design

Re: [Feature Request] Centre Points controls better

PostWed Sep 09, 2015 8:13 pm

Alt + Click drag will move a selected point or center. So you can be zoomed in, without seeing the center and move it.

Chad Capeland

PostWed Sep 09, 2015 8:49 pm

Steve Roberts wrote:Alt + Click drag will move a selected point or center. So you can be zoomed in, without seeing the center and move it.

Combine that with PgUp/PgDn for pickwalking and tab for changing preview controls and you can really improve polygon masking efficiency.
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

Mark Rasmussen

PostWed Sep 09, 2015 11:46 pm

Hey Steve and chad,
I forgot to add those short cuts in my opening statement, frankly I also forgot about them! :D However, unless I am not aware, you can not do fine adjustments when zoomed in... those shortcuts are actually very useful, but it does not address my main issue of having the ability to do small incremental adjustment while in that view.

Again if I am missing something, which is possible, then please let me know.

The main point of the request was to expand on what is there, and make it have the ability of say moving something in small, medium and large increments for example, or through the shortcut allow it to be constrained to one axis. You can do this with the sliders. You can add that with the modifier. I just feel like you could do this in the same tool panel.

Thanks again!

Cheers

edit: Sorry Steve, I originally put your last name down! ;-)
Last edited by Mark Rasmussen on Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mark Rasmussen
Enigma|FX

Chad Capeland

PostWed Sep 09, 2015 11:54 pm

Mark Rasmussen wrote:Hey Robert and chad,
I forgot to add those short cuts in my opening statement, frankly I also forgot about them! :D However, unless I am not aware, you can not do fine adjustments when zoomed in... those shortcuts are actually very useful, but it does not address my main issue of having the ability to do small incremental adjustment while in that view.

Use the arrow keys. They can be modified with shift or control.
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

Mark Rasmussen

PostThu Sep 10, 2015 4:23 pm

Hey Chad,

Well thanks for that. I have been looking for a shortcuts document and could not find it. Then I remembered the older versions on my system had some HTML documents. Bang, there they where! I don't understand why the documentation is missing this stuff. It is just a HTML document, just ship it.

Thanks again both of you for reminding me of the shortcuts, after a long period away from fusion (working on Flame for many years). It has been fun trying to get into the swing of things again. Actually working on a high profile TV series with it now. It is slowly coming back to me, but without the reminders from documentation and people with better memories than me, I find myself a little lost at times.

For those who may be new to fusion and can not find the actual keyboard shortcuts documentation, because there is non from BMD. Here is a HTML document that shows them all, I hope!

FusionGuide9.rar
HTML keyboard shortcut document
(4.69 KiB) Downloaded 129 times
Mark Rasmussen
Enigma|FX

Chad Capeland

PostThu Sep 10, 2015 4:49 pm

Mark Rasmussen wrote:Here is a HTML document that shows them all, I hope!

Unfortunately, they aren't all correct for Fusion 8. Some of them changed, or are in the process of changing.
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

Mark Rasmussen

PostThu Sep 10, 2015 6:41 pm

Oh yeah totally, but this is not for Fusion 8 really! This still applies to fusion 7. They just did not include this in the download or documentation. It should help people I am sure.

cheers
Mark Rasmussen
Enigma|FX

Mark Rasmussen

PostThu Sep 17, 2015 9:36 pm

Hey to just add to this conversation!

Everything said so far is all well and good. However, now I think I have come to the point of why I think this should be improved.
So when you are working on roto for example and you are zoomed in on the details, you then tab to cycle from Rotation and position. However, the tab cycles through the rotation, centre point, the path centre point, the path displacement, the spline.. I think that's it. When you are zoomed in you may not know which one you have selected. I know it highlights the spline or centre as red, however, you don't always see things when you are zoomed in. It is so easy to get disoriented.

Having a ring of colour around the slider or box you are working on would visually show you when you are working on that parameter on that tool, granted the path is another tab away, but at min it will help visually confirm which one you are on.

I think this would be very helpful.

Cheers
Mark Rasmussen
Enigma|FX

Rony Soussan

PostThu Sep 17, 2015 10:53 pm

There's a little arrow bottom right of view, select from there to make it active

Mark Rasmussen

PostFri Sep 18, 2015 4:50 pm

Hey Rony,

Well that one I have never known about ever! After looking in the manual after reading your comment, I see a picture of what you mention, but no description, unless it is mentioned again somewhere else.

Anyway, that is nice to know, but I still feel that a more visual cue / feed back on the tool menu that you are actually doing something to that portion of the tool would be nice. Maybe to much work for what it is. I just think it would be a nice touch to allow people to just glance over at the tool and see, ahh that is the part of the tool I am working on.

Sort of like in the combustion beta days when we made the case for a red frame around the image window so we knew we were in animation mode.

cheers
Mark Rasmussen
Enigma|FX

Return to Fusion