Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Interface scaling - more choices ?

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Wolfgang Baer

Interface scaling - more choices ?

PostTue Dec 29, 2015 2:24 pm

Hi,

the beta 3 interface already looks good to me.
But:

- Could the grey text (e.g. frame numbers in the timeline) be a little less gray? The contrast between text and background is quite low, which makes it difficult to read.

- UI scaling: So far there is either 100% or 200%. It would be great to have more choices here (e.g. 10% or 25% steps).

(but that's maybe just me with my not so good eyesight).
noob

Chad Capeland

Re: Interface scaling - more choices ?

PostTue Dec 29, 2015 4:19 pm

That may be an issue with the bitmaps in the skins. So for one UI element there might be "Widget.png" that is 32x32 pixels and "Widget_x2.png" that is 64x64 pixels. That's how, for example, iOS does UI scaling. If you wanted to have an inbetween scaling, you'd have to take the two maps as MIP levels and blend between them (so 8 pixels become 1). This blending might happen at once, the first time Fusion runs after you change the scaling, so that the new bitmaps are cached, or it could happen on demand, with both bitmap sets in memory. This would be slower and use more memory, which probably isn't a good tradeoff for interactive resizing.

And that's just the bitmaps. For anything related to spacing, you'd have some integer sizes, like at 100% UI element A is 1 pixel above UI element B. At 200%, it is 2 pixels above UI element B. But at 125%, it's what, 1.25 pixels above? Then the UI needs to filter or it will just look ugly, as say, elements A, B, and C are squished together and element D is an extra pixel further down.

So anyway, not saying it couldn't be done, it's just not trivial.
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

Return to Fusion