Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Beta 3 FBX import still has camera animation problems

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Vance Bowman

Beta 3 FBX import still has camera animation problems

PostThu Dec 31, 2015 6:39 pm

When importing FBX scenes, the camera (baked animation from Modo) flips around when it reaches a certain point. I'm not sure what's going on. I was hoping Beta 3 would fix this. FBX seems to work quite a bit better than Alembic in certain ways.

I've attached the scene. The camera flips at Frame ~115 and then back again at Frame ~306.

Vance Bowman

Re: Beta 3 FBX import still has camera animation problems

PostThu Dec 31, 2015 7:33 pm

So it appears to be correct if I change the rotation order on the camera to XYZ either in Modo or Fusion. Anyone know what's going on here? Perhaps this is correct behavior.

Vance Bowman

PostThu Dec 31, 2015 8:28 pm

New findings, my apologies.

In Modo, the default rotation order settings for the camera is ZXY. When I import this into fusion using FBX (it carries the default ZXY), it causes the camera to flip at certain points when it goes past -180 degrees unless I switch it back to XYZ in Fusion.

Now, if I go back into Modo, change the camera rotation order settings to XYZ, re-bake the animation and export a new FBX, it no longer matches my footage. I speculate this is because my footage was rendered with the camera set to ZXY. However, if I change the rotation order in Fusion to ZXY, it matches, until it flips around.

To summarize:

Modo camera rotation order ZXY works with Fusion rotation order XYZ
Modo camera rotation order XYZ works with Fusion rotation order ZXY until it get to -180 degrees, then it flips 180 degrees.

What the heck?

Chad Capeland

PostThu Dec 31, 2015 9:52 pm

Was Modo set to Y or Z up during export?

The flipping is expected because it's Euler rotation, so you can get gimbal lock. There's nothing you can do about it except not rotate to that point. That's why choosing the rotation order is so important.
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

Vance Bowman

PostThu Dec 31, 2015 11:48 pm

Modo is Y-Up.

Thanks. I'll keep that in mind.

Return to Fusion