Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

QuickTime 7 for Windows is no longer supported by Apple

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Arthur van Rooijen

QuickTime 7 for Windows is no longer supported by Apple

PostFri Apr 22, 2016 10:34 am

Hi

as you might have read already, Apple has stopped support for Quicktime 7 for Windows
Code: Select all
https://support.apple.com/kb/DL837

Now our security department wants us to deinstall Quicktime because of severe vulnerabilities
Code: Select all
http://zerodayinitiative.com/advisories/ZDI-16-242/

Will Fusion Studio and the Render Nodes still work if I deinstall Quicktime?
Is Quicktime needed by Fusion?

(sorry for using the code tags, as I can not post URL's)

michael vorberg

Re: QuickTime 7 for Windows is no longer supported by Apple

PostFri Apr 22, 2016 4:02 pm

i think you will only loose the ability to load and write to quicktime formats if you uninstall it

Philipp Engelhardt

PostWed Apr 27, 2016 9:41 am

hi there,

for me this is a big issue, because without quicktime i can't save any video out of fusion any more...

is there another way of saving out DNxHD / mp4 / h264 / or mov straight out of fusion?

its kind of pain in the butt, to save out a image sequence and load it into resolve or ae to make a video file??

is there a direct way of saving out a videofile???

really appreciate this!!

p.s. i love fusion!

all the best
piripi

JP Docherty

PostWed Apr 27, 2016 10:15 pm

This will get you DNxHD

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_U ... -Codecs-LE

I use it with fusion all the time.

Philipp Engelhardt

PostThu Apr 28, 2016 10:19 am

thanks for your reply...
but DNxHD is just a codec for quicktime?!
so when i uninstall quicktime, i can't choose it...

so my question, is there an alternative to quicktime, so i can render out any kind of video format directly out of fusion, or am i the only "unprofessional" user out there?

is everybody using resolve or something else for outputting videofiles?

normally i render out a prores or DNxHD video for final or mp4 or h264 for testing...

i use free TEncoder-Video-Converter which it real nice tool to convert videos, it can even manage to render PRORES (encoding and decoding!) and its super fast because it uses all cpus avalible!
2016-04-28 12_08_42-Program Manager.jpg
2016-04-28 12_08_42-Program Manager.jpg (151.23 KiB) Viewed 4390 times

blackmagic should integrate FFMpeg or Mencoder which both are 64bit i believe, quicktime for pc is unfortunately outdated quite a bit :(

i'm not sure how "dangerous" it is to leave quicktime on my machine, but i don't feel very comfortably...

happy for any thoughts
philipp

Aday Cruz

PostFri Apr 29, 2016 8:15 am

Same problem here.
Can't export into any video format without quicktime :(

Vladimir LaFortune

PostFri Apr 29, 2016 2:29 pm

Reliance on Quicktime junk on PC never made sense to me. I'm glad its done now although I'm not sure how much of a security vulnerability it will be in the future, probably very little reason for concern.

Scott Creighton

PostTue May 03, 2016 1:14 am

Our IT department went and uninstalled QT from my PC that is running Media Express, tied to an H264 recorder. I wasn't aware of this until I went to use the unit. I downloaded QT 7.7.9 and installed it and Media Express is up and running albeit a bit unstable.

Is there a way of running Media Express without QT?

Philipp Engelhardt

PostWed May 04, 2016 5:36 pm

so what would be a good workaround?
render out exr an than compress it with resolve to a moviefile?

this way it drives me mad...

any "easy" sulutions?

appreciate smart workflowes!

all the best
philipp

Justin Jackson

PostThu May 05, 2016 3:28 pm

Couple things. First, Quicktime is just the player.. you can still install the codecs on Windows. Even so, there are still two formats that are viable. DNxHR via MXF container, which is an open standard container. Also, CinemaDNG, which seems to be gaining popularity as well. Yah, CinemaDNG is much larger, but still gives you options and storage is pretty cheap. I am a hobbyist and I have a RAID 0 SSD for cache, NVMe SSD for boot and another SSD for project files. HDs are cheap too.. 16TBs (2x8TB RAID 0) cost about $500 for archive drives, and a little bit more for NAS/Desktop drives. For storage of source material or final renders, archive drives are fine.
Custom DIY AMD1950x 16-core/32-thread, liquid cooled, 64GB 3600Mhz RAM, 950Pro-512GB NVMe os/apps, 2x500GB 850 Evo RAID 0 SATA3, Zotac 1070 8GB video, USB 3.1Gen2 RAID0 2x4TB, 2x2TB Crucial MX500 SSD SATA3.

Barry Levine

PostFri May 06, 2016 9:52 pm

Justin Jackson wrote:Couple things. First, Quicktime is just the player.. you can still install the codecs on Windows. Even so, there are still two formats that are viable. DNxHR via MXF container, which is an open standard container. Also, CinemaDNG, which seems to be gaining popularity as well. Yah, CinemaDNG is much larger, but still gives you options and storage is pretty cheap. I am a hobbyist and I have a RAID 0 SSD for cache, NVMe SSD for boot and another SSD for project files. HDs are cheap too.. 16TBs (2x8TB RAID 0) cost about $500 for archive drives, and a little bit more for NAS/Desktop drives. For storage of source material or final renders, archive drives are fine.

Justin,

What about if your source content is H264 in an MP4 container. Wouldn't you still need Quicktime in order to get the media into Resolve?

I know Quicktime Player is a separate animal from the Quicktime codecs; where is the security issue? Quicktime codecs in my we browser? If those are expunged along with the Quicktime Player app, am I safe? Sorry; I'm normally using a Mac so Quicktime security issues are addressed by Apple.

Thanks,
Barry

Return to Fusion