Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Trying to insert/track 3D object in video

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Joey Stephenson

Trying to insert/track 3D object in video

PostSat Apr 30, 2016 10:27 pm

I have a video piped into a 3D Image Plane. I have a 3D cube merged in as well as a camera. I moved the 3D cube to an area I want it to stay for the duration of the clip, and I tracked the area of the frame I want it to be.

How do I apply that track data to the 3D Cube? Also, why why is the cube all blown out to white? I need it to do a match move. Please see the attachment for a screenshot of the setup. Any help is appreciated.
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (215.27 KiB) Viewed 3083 times

michael vorberg

Re: Trying to insert/track 3D object in video

PostSun May 01, 2016 10:24 am

for the lighting:
did you enable lighting in the render3d settings? otherwise it will render just the pure color without any shading

for the tracking:
you could just render the cube in the 3d setup, apply the 2d track to the result and then use a merge to put it over the footage (just the loader not the 3d image plane)

Joey Stephenson

PostSun May 01, 2016 8:23 pm

michael vorberg wrote:for the lighting:
did you enable lighting in the render3d settings? otherwise it will render just the pure color without any shading

for the tracking:
you could just render the cube in the 3d setup, apply the 2d track to the result and then use a merge to put it over the footage (just the loader not the 3d image plane)

Thank you Michael. Im very close now after reorganizing and rethinking it. Could you explain what you mean by applying the 2D track to the 3D render result? I dont see any way to connect the 2D tracker data to the 3D Renderer for the cube, unless you meant something else?
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (33.66 KiB) Viewed 3032 times

michael vorberg

PostMon May 02, 2016 7:31 pm

how about the manual to read about the tracker tool?

but in short:
connect the output of the renderer3d to the green input of the tracker, set its operation to matchmove, merge to "FG only", connect the output of the tracker to your defocus

Jules Clark

PostMon May 02, 2016 9:31 pm

If the camera that shot your video is moving (I'm assuming), the tracker tool won't do a proper 3D track - it's only going to track a 2D position in x and y. So if the camera angle of the video changes you won't see a corresponding change in view of the cube. I think you'd need to use a 3D tracker like Boujou, Syntheyes or PFTrack - or AE's tracker via The Foundry.

I'm now hoping someone is about to tell me I'm completely and utterly wrong, that I can do a 3D track in Fusion. Now that would be awesome!

Does anyone have experience with the 3D trackers mentioned above? Which are the better ones in conjunction with Fusion?

Joey Stephenson

PostMon May 02, 2016 10:18 pm

michael vorberg wrote:how about the manual to read about the tracker tool?

but in short:
connect the output of the renderer3d to the green input of the tracker, set its operation to matchmove, merge to "FG only", connect the output of the tracker to your defocus

I have the manual open in a tab at all times, I just was missing the connection details. Thanks for the help, it is working now. The only issue that that the track is a little jittery, its not 100% accurate. Guess I'll keep playing with it.

Salvo Triolo

PostTue May 03, 2016 4:59 pm

Jules Clark wrote:If the camera that shot your video is moving (I'm assuming), the tracker tool won't do a proper 3D track - it's only going to track a 2D position in x and y. So if the camera angle of the video changes you won't see a corresponding change in view of the cube. I think you'd need to use a 3D tracker like Boujou, Syntheyes or PFTrack - or AE's tracker via The Foundry.

I'm now hoping someone is about to tell me I'm completely and utterly wrong, that I can do a 3D track in Fusion. Now that would be awesome!

Does anyone have experience with the 3D trackers mentioned above? Which are the better ones in conjunction with Fusion?

As far I know Syntheyes has a good feeling with fusion

Sander de Regt

PostTue May 03, 2016 6:24 pm

Syntheyes rules. It's very good and very flexible. Dark magic all around.
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

Gary Hanna

PostWed May 04, 2016 2:21 pm

I'm new to Fusion so I'm curious as to this as well, but will add...

Blender is free and has a 3D tracker. Instead of moving the object it moves the camera. Try that instead maybe? You can export the camera info from blender though I've never tested importing into Fusion.

Fusion does have perspective tracking, meant for 2D work, so instead of connecting the object to the tracker, you could merge 3D the cube with a camera and then set the camera to be connected to the tracker and not the cube, then render 3D the cube, and overlay it on the video of the cat. Apologies if this is mis information, but that's how blender does it, by attaching it a camera and not the object.

That way if Fusion only does 2D tracking, if the video moves left and right, if you attach the cube, the cube would move left and right but not the perspective. Attaching the camera to move left and right on a 2d plane WHILE FILMING a 3D cube, would yield perspective - though you'd have to have stabilization tracking so the camera moves in the opposing direction and set the focal length to match the video.

Return to Fusion