Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

NoNoob question: convert comp frame size to another

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Tani Muller

NoNoob question: convert comp frame size to another

PostWed May 11, 2016 3:43 pm

Hi Fusion Experts.

I have a reasonably large comp which was orignally setup with 960 x 540 source files. I now find I need the resolution of 1920 x 1080 for my source files. No probs, backgrounmd nodes I'll just resize to 1920 x 1080 or use transform node and scale by 2. For my source files I'll replace the 960 x 540 footage with the new 1920 x 1080 footage. Easy. What could go wrong ???

Well my merge nodes seem to be acting up quite strange, for the background nodes the resize seems to work fine but the source footage resize sometimes works and somtimes not at the merge. At the merge node the forground appears to be the wrong size (roughly a third too small).

Im sure I'm missing something fairly simple and fundamnetal, but I'm blessed if I can see a pattern here... So why doesnt the resize work as you'd expect it too..??

Sander de Regt

Re: NoNoob question: convert comp frame size to another

PostThu May 12, 2016 9:38 pm

If you use the transform to scale x2 the actual size of the image doesn't change.
It's more akin to zooming in on an image.
Change the resolution of the background and make sure that you update *all* your assets to the correct resolution. The plan you're describing is how it's supposed to work.
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

Eric Westphal

PostMon May 16, 2016 6:35 pm

If you work oftentimes with changing resolutions,
you might want to consider to set all your Creator Tools (BG, Text, etc) to "use Frame Format settings" in the image tab and save that as default.
So to resize *all* the Creators you simply have to change your Comp's FrameFormat settings.
my hovercraft is full of eels.

Sam Biddle

PostTue May 17, 2016 11:21 am

I normally have all my loader nodes immediately followed by a resize node that is instanced, so you change one of them and they all change. Makes updating comp res straightforward and fast.

Sometimes when resizing you'll need to force the comp to update, so try hitting the Proxy (Prx) button and then turning it off again, which should make all the nodes rerender and, assuming your loaders all have the correct resize res it should then assume the correct frame size at the merge nodes as well.
Sam Biddle
3D Artist @ BlueBolt VFX

Chad Capeland

PostTue May 17, 2016 2:05 pm

Sam Biddle wrote:I normally have all my loader nodes immediately followed by a resize node that is instanced, so you change one of them and they all change. Makes updating comp res straightforward and fast.

Sometimes when resizing you'll need to force the comp to update, so try hitting the Proxy (Prx) button and then turning it off again, which should make all the nodes rerender and, assuming your loaders all have the correct resize res it should then assume the correct frame size at the merge nodes as well.

Why would you use a Resize? If you're scaling down, Proxy is a more efficient choice. If you're scaling up, you're unnecessarily increasing memory and processing requirements.

Also, using Proxy shouldn't force a re-render, as the non-proxy images are maintained in the cache. That's why the cache markers turn red instead of disappearing. If you're seeing the cache get cleared, that's something unusual that should be investigated.
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

Return to Fusion