Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

footage format recommendations for fusion

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Geoff Swartz

footage format recommendations for fusion

PostTue May 17, 2016 8:14 pm

I'm brand new to fusion and would like to see if I can work with it to replace my after effects workflow. I have a Sony FDR-AX100 which I'm recording AVCHD mp4s. When I try to bring in one of the files to fusion by dragging and dropping from windows explorer, it sits and spins for a minute and then nothing happens. No node is created. So instead I then manually create an I/O loader and select my footage. Nothing shows up in the viewer when I drag the node into it and if I try to drag on the timeline I get the message in the console - Loader3 failed at time 0.

I've done a bit of googling on converting this footage but have found so many "solutions" that don't work that well. I was eventually able to get some footage that played, but very slowly. So, I figured I'd ask what is the best footage format to use to edit in fusion? I would like to get decent playback but also as high quality as possible.

Also, when I was able to get a file to play, the audio track didn't play. If I right clicked the audio button and made sure the related audio track was selected the playback speed would drop to around a frame every couple of seconds. I do a lot of timing matching in AE, so is there a better way to get synced audio to work in fusion?

In case you're wondering, my machine specs are win 7 pro with 24gb of memory, an Intel xeon 2.4 ghz with 24 threads and a geforce gtx 960. I have a 2tb raid setup for the drive where the media files are as well as the fusion cache.

Stefan Kirste

Re: footage format recommendations for fusion

PostWed May 18, 2016 8:22 am

i would recommend , using Davinci and Fusion.
Load your Clips in Davinci, make your Audio Sync, and only export Clips u want to work on for visual stuff, by exporting them as DPX File seq. After VFX, reimport your rendered Fusion DPX files back in Davinci, and finalize your Spot.

Return to Fusion