Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

What is the best paid online training for Fusion

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Clayton Von Isaacs

What is the best paid online training for Fusion

PostWed Jun 01, 2016 7:10 am

Preferably for mac, but I understand if there are still only windows only training videos out there. Migrated over to mac and want the best beginner to intermediate online training program. Did a search in this forum and found threads mentioning more advanced training on particular things only. Can anyone recommend a good beginner to intermediate brand based training program? Something similar to the Ripple Resolve training found here:

http://www.rippletraining.com/products/davinci-resolve/color-grading-in-davinci-resolve-11

I am trying to get away from Adobe products and be strictly in Resolve/Fusion. I know there are videos on youtube but they rarely cover everything in terms of a beginner getting to know the entire program, and I would rather not hunt around for different videos from different people covering different things. I you;ld rather do a program that starts at one place of a newbie and takes you step by step through learning the program. Paid ones are okay as they have video examples, etc.

Thanks in advance.
Clayton Von Isaacs
daydreamersproductions.com

Bob Place

Re: What is the best paid online training for Fusion

PostWed Jun 01, 2016 10:09 am

I have been very pleased with the tutorials at www.cmivfx.com. Individually I think the prices are a little high ($19-$59), but if you buy a years subscription ($299?) you get everything they have for a year. There are about 22 Fusion videos and two Davinci tutorials. All the videos come with assets. And like anything, there are mostly really good tutorials and a few ok tutorials, but no real stinkers.

Like you, I ran thru everything on youtube in less than 2 months. CMIVFX took it to the next level. I am currently about 2/3 way through all the tutorials, and I am still convinced it was well worth the money.

The down side is that their interface is kind of weird, but they are constantly working on it to improve it. And they just came out with a mobile version of their site so one can sit on the can and learn... (I have not tried the mobile site yet).

Good luck!
Bob Place

Clayton Von Isaacs

PostWed Jun 01, 2016 5:06 pm

Bob Place wrote:I have been very pleased with the tutorials at http://www.cmivfx.com. Individually I think the prices are a little high ($19-$59), but if you buy a years subscription ($299?) you get everything they have for a year. There are about 22 Fusion videos and two Davinci tutorials. All the videos come with assets. And like anything, there are mostly really good tutorials and a few ok tutorials, but no real stinkers.

Like you, I ran thru everything on youtube in less than 2 months. CMIVFX took it to the next level. I am currently about 2/3 way through all the tutorials, and I am still convinced it was well worth the money.

The down side is that their interface is kind of weird, but they are constantly working on it to improve it. And they just came out with a mobile version of their site so one can sit on the can and learn... (I have not tried the mobile site yet).

Good luck!

Thanks a lot I will take a look at them. Yeah there seems to be no on out there that takes you step by step from being a beginner to learn all the functions. And whenever I teach myself by just playing around with it I miss so many things I needed to know. Thanks again man.
Clayton Von Isaacs

Vladimir LaFortune

PostWed Jun 01, 2016 10:04 pm

Depends what you want to do in Fusion. If you want some general stuff I'm sure you can find all of that online and on YT. True it will take you a day to do so but information is out there, besides the fact that Fusion's basics and basic tools are pretty much self-explanatory. If you don't have time then cmiVFX Fusion Basics Next tutorial is just fine.

One thing to pay attention to in cmiVFX tutorials is the price, the more you pay the better the tutor and tutorial. If you don't have money to waste skip all $19.95 and especially Fusion Advanced 3D Compositing Techniques. If you are in motion graphics than Fusion HUD Design is really all you need but it's $49.95 or if you are into 2.5D matte painting compositing then I would suggest Fusion 3D Matte Paintings, very old but very good tutorial for only $29.95.

There is also FXPhd and they just got a brand new FUS203 class which I didn't get to do but like most of the stuff they do it should be very good. I think their tutorials for Resolve are the best you will find online hands down.

On Digital Tutors you have probably one of the best from start to finish compositing tutorials in Fusion called Realistic Compositing in Fusion.

One more time I would like to remind you to go to YouTube and watch old Fusion tutorials from eyeOn where they show quite neat tricks such as displacement on 2D images to create parallax and so on. And of course who could forget that Anonymous webinar with many clever tricks how to improve your image really quick and cheap.

If you are looking into Compositing techniques and principles as a subject I can tell you that many Nuke tutorials will work for that as well.

Clayton Von Isaacs

PostThu Jun 02, 2016 12:48 am

Vladimir LaFortune wrote:Depends what you want to do in Fusion. If you want some general stuff I'm sure you can find all of that online and on YT. True it will take you a day to do so but information is out there, besides the fact that Fusion's basics and basic tools are pretty much self-explanatory. If you don't have time then cmiVFX Fusion Basics Next tutorial is just fine.

One thing to pay attention to in cmiVFX tutorials is the price, the more you pay the better the tutor and tutorial. If you don't have money to waste skip all $19.95 and especially Fusion Advanced 3D Compositing Techniques. If you are in motion graphics than Fusion HUD Design is really all you need but it's $49.95 or if you are into 2.5D matte painting compositing then I would suggest Fusion 3D Matte Paintings, very old but very good tutorial for only $29.95.

There is also FXPhd and they just got a brand new FUS203 class which I didn't get to do but like most of the stuff they do it should be very good. I think their tutorials for Resolve are the best you will find online hands down.

On Digital Tutors you have probably one of the best from start to finish compositing tutorials in Fusion called Realistic Compositing in Fusion.

One more time I would like to remind you to go to YouTube and watch old Fusion tutorials from eyeOn where they show quite neat tricks such as displacement on 2D images to create parallax and so on. And of course who could forget that Anonymous webinar with many clever tricks how to improve your image really quick and cheap.

If you are looking into Compositing techniques and principles as a subject I can tell you that many Nuke tutorials will work for that as well.

Right on. Mostly compositing since I am shooting miniatures. But I want to get an overall general knowledge of the program. Thanks a lot for the info.
Clayton Von Isaacs

Return to Fusion