Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Installing Studio and non-Studio Versions on Same Platform

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Blake LaFarm

Installing Studio and non-Studio Versions on Same Platform

PostTue Jun 07, 2016 4:38 pm

I own 1 (one) Fusion Studio dongle -- but have several workstations.

Looks like the Windows-based Fusion Studio installer overwrites the non-Studio version.

I don't need to run them at the same time, but is there a simple way to have both installed on the same platform?
HP Z840 | Dual 10-Core Xeon 2.3 GHz | Dual TITAN Xp | 64 GB RAM | Media: PCIe SSD 2.5 GB/s
DeckLink 4K Ext 12G | Pocket UltraScope | Avid Artist Color | CalMAN Studio/C6-HDR
Resolve Studio 15.0.0B.043 | Fusion Studio 9.0.2 | DTV 10.9.12 | Win10 Pro 1803

Tony Rivera

Blackmagic Design

Re: Installing Studio and non-Studio Versions on Same Platfo

PostTue Jun 07, 2016 7:17 pm

You can have Studio versions on other computers but keep in mind they will not have access to the Fusion software unless the dongle is attached to the computer. Otherwise, you can have the free version installed on the other computers if you wish to not remove the dongle from one computer and take it to another.
Support: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support
Info: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/company

Follow us on Instagram:
@blackmagicnewsofficial

Blake LaFarm

PostTue Jun 07, 2016 7:30 pm

Thanks Tony.

However, my goal is to have both the free and Studio versions of Fusion on all of my computers.

Fusion can obviously be used as a standalone application, with Resolve, and as of today, by all Avid users.

Based upon workflow requirements, I will dynamically move the dongle to different computers to gain access to the Studio version feature set.

However, in doing so, I will still need the free version to work on systems that don't necessarily have the dongle installed at that time -- and which don't need the Studio feature set.

Are you saying this is impossible to do?

Edit: Formatting
HP Z840 | Dual 10-Core Xeon 2.3 GHz | Dual TITAN Xp | 64 GB RAM | Media: PCIe SSD 2.5 GB/s
DeckLink 4K Ext 12G | Pocket UltraScope | Avid Artist Color | CalMAN Studio/C6-HDR

Tony Rivera

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Jun 07, 2016 9:35 pm

We typically recommend having only one installed as there is no option to where you install the software to however if the drive was partitioned, it may be possible. There may be others here that can shed some more light on this as they have had the same setup on their computers.
Support: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support
Info: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/company

Follow us on Instagram:
@blackmagicnewsofficial

Pavel Lavrov

PostTue Jun 07, 2016 10:21 pm

Dual boot might be the option. Maybe not the most convenient solution but it will work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pavel L

Blake LaFarm

PostTue Jun 07, 2016 10:47 pm

[quote="Pavel Lavrov"]Dual boot might be the option. Maybe not the most convenient solution but it will work.

Thanks, but dual boot is not practical.

Chad Capeland

PostTue Jun 07, 2016 11:07 pm

Just copy the install folder.
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

Blake LaFarm

PostWed Jun 08, 2016 12:17 am

Chad Capeland wrote:Just copy the install folder.

Not exactly sure what you mean. Could you please be more specific?

Sander de Regt

PostWed Jun 08, 2016 9:21 pm

Tony Rivera wrote:We typically recommend having only one installed as there is no option to where you install the software to

Which to me qualify as a bug especially since at least the previous installer promised an 'advanced' option when installing, but then didn't do that, thereby overwriting the previous installation automatically.

I haven't tried the most recent installer to see if it still does that.
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

Blazej Floch

PostThu Jun 09, 2016 11:56 pm

Yes I agree that this is problematic and repeat:

I have never seen a software that could guarantee the project files being 100% backwards-(and forward!) compatible. If they could I would love to have that guarantee as part of a SLA on paper.
Everything else is harmful in a "Studio" environment.

To be honest I would not care what the free version does. I can understand that this kind of forced updates are heaven for support (like with cloud based software) as you only need to support the latest version.
But in Production environments where every breakdown costs you more than software licenses or support contracts do this is useless.

I have not seen an environment yet that would not run multiple suites of software versions simultaneously to drive parallel shows.

I hope that with the Linux version in the making professional studio environments will be considered in BMDs future strategies. I'd be glad to discuss.

EDIT: Just to be clear, I only mind Fusion overwriting older versions. I do not mind Studio overwriting non Studio so much, other than it makes writing a review for both painful :D

Chad Capeland

PostFri Jun 10, 2016 3:26 am

Blazej Floch wrote:EDIT: Just to be clear, I only mind Fusion overwriting older versions. I do not mind Studio overwriting non Studio so much, other than it makes writing a review for both painful :D

Ideally, there would be one installer and there would be an option like "Fusion.exe /nodongle" so users could choose whether they run Fusion or Studio. I don't understand why there are two installers and two installations.
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

Return to Fusion