Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Plenty of RAM -> no preview caching

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Ike Arias

Plenty of RAM -> no preview caching

PostMon Jun 13, 2016 5:00 pm

Hi,

I'm struggling to figure out if I'm doing something wrong or if there is something wrong with Fusion on my Mac (I'm running Fusion 8.1 on a MacBook Pro with 8 GB).

I'm working on a very simple motion graphics project. It moves and masks two .png images in 4K. Even though I have turned on the Proxy button (to level 4), every time I click on the Play button the whole scene renders again. I only get one or two frames cached (green) behind the current frame, even though I should have plenty of memory to cache a full preview of the timeline.

Is there a setting or Preference I'm missing somewhere to make the previews cache correctly?

Here's what it looks like:
Fusion-nocaching.png
Plenty of RAM - no caching
Fusion-nocaching.png (205.61 KiB) Viewed 822 times

Thanks for any help of ideas on this,

Ike

Ike Arias

Re: Plenty of RAM -> no preview caching

PostMon Jun 13, 2016 8:50 pm

I was able to "fix" this after the very primitive procedure of deleting and reinstalling Fusion! Instead of using the "Uninstall Fusion" executable, I used AppCleaner to remove Fusion and all associated files (prefs, caches, etc.) The reinstalled 8.1 from scratch and now the preview works as expected.

I suspect it had something to do with some corrupted data, probably lingering since the beta stage.

Ike Arias

PostThu Jun 16, 2016 12:16 pm

Unfortunately, this is happening again. I don't know what triggers it. On this same composition, when I have proxy turned on then I can cache the whole 150 frame sequence. But when I turn it off it only caches 2 fames!

Yesterday it was caching the whole sequence with proxy turned off and Motion Blur turned on. Today it doesn't. Memory is at 10% so it's clearly not that. I just haven't been able to find what exactly causes this. Restarting the application doesn't help either.

Another thing I noticed is that when any splines are turned on in the Spline viewer rendering slows down to a crawl. Even when I switch back to the Flow view! The only way to recover "normal" rendering speeds is to go back into the Spline view and turn OFF all the splines.

If anybody has any ideas it would be highly appreciated.

Vladimir LaFortune

PostFri Jun 17, 2016 1:37 pm

I've experienced the same issue way back with 7.0.1

I have no clue what triggers it but since I work step by step I usually do disk cache and lock the branch that I'm satisfied with. If you go this route make sure you do don't do secondary grading or no grading at all until the very end since that will be locked as well.

Unfortunately that's all I can tell you.

Return to Fusion