Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Tool list does not show after pressing shift space bar

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Justin Courneya

Tool list does not show after pressing shift space bar

PostSun Jan 08, 2017 4:35 pm

Im not sure what im doing wrong here .
Ive been using Fusion for days now on a project and for some reason when i try and bring up tools with shift space bar i am unable to see the tool list any more. I can still type the tool in and press enter to have a tool come down . I just cant see the list anymore . Im not sure if i disabled something .
Ive reinstalled the software and am still having same issue . i read the thread on resetting defaults but i cant figure out where the file is i need to delete.

Bryan Ray

Re: Tool list does not show after pressing shift space bar

PostSun Jan 08, 2017 5:57 pm

If you move Fusion from one monitor to another, the Add Tool dialogue appears on the original screen instead of the one you're looking at. It's also possible that if your screen layout at the operating system level has changed for some reason since you started Fusion that the dialogue is actually Elsewhere.

If that's what's going on, and you're in Windows, give this a try: Call up the dialogue (you said shift+space, but it should be ctrl+shift unless you've changed it). Immediately alt+space, then hit m, then one of the arrow keys. The window should now be "stuck" to your pointer (which has moved to the location of the window, wherever it was. Move the mouse around, being careful not to click, until you bring the window back onto the screen. As soon as you click somewhere, the window will be dropped at that location.

This is a Windows thing, and it will work for finding most lost dialogue boxes.
Bryan Ray
http://www.bryanray.name
http://www.sidefx.com

Justin Courneya

PostSun Jan 08, 2017 8:11 pm

Thanks for the reply ! I was switching my monitors around the night before.

This seems to be the issue but i still havent been successful.

Once i press alt space then m, i see an icon with 4 arrows. I drag it across my screen as far as i can but still i have no sight of the window.

Justin Courneya

PostSun Jan 08, 2017 8:23 pm

Ok i got now , i went through your instructions and pressing the arrow button after the alt space saved me. Sry this wasnt really a Fusion issue lol

Bryan Ray

PostTue Jan 17, 2017 10:15 pm

Glad it helped!
Bryan Ray

ggannell

PostTue Jan 18, 2022 10:12 am

Hello,
I know this is an OLD topic, but I have just run into this problem of Tool list not showing after pressing SHIFT/SPACE.

Following the advice in this forum, I can retrieve it, but I can't get it to "stick" - I have to do this every time I search for a tool. Is there a way to permanently reposition the tool list?

Thanks

Bryan Ray

PostTue Jan 18, 2022 4:27 pm

That's odd. It should pop up in the last location you dropped it.

You might try backing up and deleting your Fusion.prefs file. It's probably located at:
%APPDATA%\Roaming\Blackmagic Design\Fusion\Profiles\Default

I'm not sure if the window location is stored there or not.

I know it's technically possible for a Qt window to pop up under the pointer or in the center of the active screen; it might be a good feature if there were an option in the preferences to set AddTool to use one of those locations instead of remembering its most recent.
Bryan Ray

erdo100

PostSun Feb 27, 2022 1:16 am

Hello,
I had the same problem, that after Shift+Spacethe focus was in a none visble window, obviously the the "Select Tool" which was not visible.
The Problem is, that the select Tool is out of the visble area, and same time Davinci is locked, and you can't resize.
I found for me the solution by the post of Bryan Ray. The Solution is correct, but depending on the windows language. So for me the sequence to bring the select tool in to visible area was:
1. Shift+Space ==> activate Select Tool (but is unvisble)
2. Alt+Space ==> activate window menu
3. select "Move", in German "Verschieben"
4. use arrow keys to move the select window. I had to move the window up to bring it in visible area

Good Luck.

facumarolda

PostFri Jan 27, 2023 10:01 pm

Thanks bro! you save me too!

Bryan Ray wrote:If you move Fusion from one monitor to another, the Add Tool dialogue appears on the original screen instead of the one you're looking at. It's also possible that if your screen layout at the operating system level has changed for some reason since you started Fusion that the dialogue is actually Elsewhere.

If that's what's going on, and you're in Windows, give this a try: Call up the dialogue (you said shift+space, but it should be ctrl+shift unless you've changed it). Immediately alt+space, then hit m, then one of the arrow keys. The window should now be "stuck" to your pointer (which has moved to the location of the window, wherever it was. Move the mouse around, being careful not to click, until you bring the window back onto the screen. As soon as you click somewhere, the window will be dropped at that location.

This is a Windows thing, and it will work for finding most lost dialogue boxes.

Return to Fusion