Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Beginner problems: Importing and exporting footage

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Ryan Chong

Beginner problems: Importing and exporting footage

PostWed Feb 01, 2017 6:06 pm

I'm trying to work with four minutes of footage, but whenever I import the video, Fusion seems to cut it off at 1000 frames with the sound completely missing. And when I try to render the final video, the only format I can use is Quicktime. Sound is muted in the composited clip as well. Can someone please tell me what I need to do to fix these errors and what I need to change to be able to render in video formats besides Quicktime?

In case this is a problem with my computer...

I'm currently using the beta version of Fusion 8, on a Dell Inspiron 15 3000 series, with an Intel Core i3-5015U CPU @ 2.10GHz, on 6 gigs of RAM.

michael vorberg

Re: Beginner problems: Importing and exporting footage

PostWed Feb 01, 2017 8:33 pm

did you set your timeline length higher then the default 1000 frames?

you can alt+drag your loader into the timeline to set it to the length of the loader. this will also adjust your renderrange in the loader

loading sound into fusion is a bit more complicated. AFAIK you can only use 44khz Wav files for sound, not embeded audio from a video container.
to use this you can create a saver node and put the audio file under the "audio" tab
or
you right click on the speaker icon and choose a audio file there

michael vorberg

PostWed Feb 01, 2017 8:39 pm

to get other video container formats for output we need to ask Blackmagic to implement them.

what video formats do you miss?

most of the time its best to render to a image sequence and the do conform/finishing step in a edit software with the sound and export from there to the final delivery format.

rendering to image sequence is a good thing: you can stop and restart the rendering at any time, you dont lose any data if the system crashes, you can go into a next workflow step, you can use renderfarms to render on many machines, you can render multiple frames at once, ...

Peter Cordes

PostThu Feb 02, 2017 2:19 pm

Ryan Chong wrote:I'm trying to work with four minutes of footage, but whenever I import the video, Fusion seems to cut it off at 1000 frames with the sound completely missing. And when I try to render the final video, the only format I can use is Quicktime. Sound is muted in the composited clip as well. Can someone please tell me what I need to do to fix these errors and what I need to change to be able to render in video formats besides Quicktime?

In case this is a problem with my computer...

I'm currently using the beta version of Fusion 8, on a Dell Inspiron 15 3000 series, with an Intel Core i3-5015U CPU @ 2.10GHz, on 6 gigs of RAM.

Hi,

4 minutes of footage is about 6000 frames.
You should set your timeline length to 6000 + frames. So you should see your complete clip.

Quicktime export from fusion is not the best idea.
I prefer exr. It carries alpha if needed, is possible to have 16 bit float color-depth and ... you can rerender it even when the target clip is opened in e.g. Resolve.

Exr 16 bit float with zip-compression does a good job - IMHO.

But one thing can be a problem.
Your 6 GBytes RAM is not very much when you work with clips in this length.

I hope it helps.
Peter

Return to Fusion