Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Scripting & Lua

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Nick Verlinden

Scripting & Lua

PostFri Mar 03, 2017 3:25 pm

Hi all,

I've been automating workflows for Fusion in lua. Recently I'm working for a television network to automate workflows in Adobe After Effects. They utilise javascript as their main language and must say that feels much more comfortable to work with than lua. Just the ability alone to reuse thousands of javascript code that I already wrote for other projects is amazing. Are there any plans to make the fusion scripting engine javascript based? I know lua is for portability and speed, but I have to say I don't care so much for automisation work. Is it an idea to add javascript and leave lua in there for the fuses functionality?

Just a thought for an amazing product!

Kind regards,
Nick
macOS 10.13.2 High Sierra
Core i9 7920X, 32GB RAM
GTX 1080 Ti 11GB
Blackmagic DeckLink Mini Monitor 4K
Blackmagic URSA Mini Pro
Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera
Blackmagic DaVinci Resolve Studio 15

Bryan Ray

Re: Scripting & Lua

PostFri Mar 03, 2017 7:35 pm

Have you investigated learning Python? Javascript is fairly uncommon in VFX pipelines, but Python's everywhere, including Fusion.

Though personally I prefer Lua's friendlier syntax. I hate tracking down missing semi-colons.
Bryan Ray
http://www.bryanray.name
http://www.sidefx.com

Nick Verlinden

Re: Scripting & Lua

PostSat Mar 04, 2017 9:16 am

Sure! I love python, as much as i love lua. They're both great, and I'm glad Fusion has a very good API going. But like I said, nothing beats the comfort of being able to reuse code already written, without the need to port it, and that code happens to be written in javascript. But I'm happy as it is. It's also worth mentionning that there is a Javascript to Lua transpiler so I might use that in the future if I want to recycle code without having to port. Though the required Lua version is 5.2 and Fusion is on 5.1, so there may be some problems with that until they update the Lua binaries.
macOS 10.13.2 High Sierra
Core i9 7920X, 32GB RAM
GTX 1080 Ti 11GB
Blackmagic DeckLink Mini Monitor 4K
Blackmagic URSA Mini Pro
Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera
Blackmagic DaVinci Resolve Studio 15

Return to Fusion