Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Fusion doesn't load composition when launched from terminal

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

JanHettenkofer

Fusion doesn't load composition when launched from terminal

PostWed Sep 26, 2018 2:37 pm

Yesterday Fusion started having problems when I launch it from the terminal (ZSH as well as through Node JS using subprocess/spawn).

What I am trying to do is the following:
Code: Select all
"/Applications/Blackmagic Fusion 9/Fusion.app/Contents/MacOS/Fusion" "relative/path/to/my.comp" -render -quit

This used to launch Fusion, start the render and quit Fusion after the render was through.
As of yesterday, Fusion starts and then just sits there with a greyed out toolbar and an otherwise empty UI. If I include
-log
, the resulting file is empty. The output on the terminal is the following (as far as I can tell there's no difference to the output I got while it was working):
FusionScript Server [3925] Started
Host 'FusionServer' [3926] Added
RegInit AVFCodecs
DNX SDK API version 2.3.4-41-r
FFmpeg Ver: 58.18.100
Unable to read VR Path Registry from /Users/janhettenkofer/Library/Application Support/OpenVR/.openvr/openvrpaths.vrpath
Host 'Fusion' [3923] Added
RegInit AVFCodecs
DNX SDK API version 2.3.4-41-r
FFmpeg Ver: 58.18.100
Host 'StudioPlayer' [3927] Added
Host 'Fusion' Removed
Host 'StudioPlayer' Removed

This used to work without issues for the better part of half a year.

Once Fusion is in that state, I can open the file via
File > Open Recent > my.comp
and render it without issue. It just doesn't read the file during startup (and it also doesn't open an empty comp).
When I double-click the same file in Finder, it is opened without problems. Omitting
-render -quit
doesn't make a difference. If I launch Fusion from terminal without passing a path as an argument, an empty comp is loaded.

I also tried un-installing and re-installing Fusion as well as disabling OpenCL to no avail.

My Configuration (a bit minimalistic, but it used to work):
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017)
MacOS 10.13.6
3,4 GHz Intel Core i5
8GB RAM
Radeon Pro 570 4096 MB

Is there a known cause and solution to this behaviour? Or maybe a way I could go about debugging it?

Thanks in advance for your help.

JanHettenkofer

Re: Fusion doesn't load composition when launched from termi

PostWed Oct 10, 2018 2:22 pm

After hours of searching I arrived at the most infuriatingly simple solution: Fusion only accepts absolute paths as arguments. I can't imagine how I managed to change my command without noticing it (and how I explicitly stated that I was using a relative path and didn't think to check if it would work with an absolute one) but I'll have to accept it as a learning experience.

Leaving this here for anyone finding themself having the same kind of troubleshooting blackout ;-).

Return to Fusion