Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

3D camera tracking

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Paulepc

3D camera tracking

PostThu Dec 13, 2018 8:43 am

I have been trying to camera track in Fusion 9 in resolve for 2 days and it does not solve correctly.
it was shot on Marvic Pro youtube link

Kel Philm

Re: 3D camera tracking

PostThu Dec 13, 2018 7:38 pm

The link does not appear to be working, may be because this is your first post, try again and see if it works.

Some things to consider in the meantime, make sure you are entering the correct camera details such as sensor size and field of view/focal length. Make sure you have turned on the lens distortion as part of the solve, this camera will have a lot of lens distortion, the other option is shoot a lens distortion grid and undistort the footage before the solve.

If you are able to get the footage linked I can have a crack for you.

Alaz Soytemiz

PostThu Dec 13, 2018 7:45 pm

Kel Philm wrote:the other option is shoot a lens distortion grid and undistort the footage before the solve.

How do we undistort with a grid plate in Fusion?
Windows 10 Pro 64Bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-11900K
Ram: 128GB
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti
Disks: Samsung SSD 980 PRO

Kel Philm

PostThu Dec 13, 2018 8:38 pm

Unfortunately it will be by hand, you can overlay a grid and do it with a grid warp node or try messing with a lens distortion node which may be quicker but less acurate. Once it is done for that setup though it can be repurposed for other shot.

If you are doing a lot of this though I can thoroughly recommend Syntheyes, it has a fantastic workflow into Fusion where it takes care of all of the lens distortion setup for you as well as countless other useful functions.

Paulepc

PostThu Dec 13, 2018 8:52 pm

Thanks. I bought syntheyes and got a solve!
Can I get the syntheyes into fusion 9 inside resolve.i see it can output a comp, is that for the stand alone version only
Thanks

Hendrik Proosa

PostFri Dec 14, 2018 9:03 am

Kel Philm wrote:Some things to consider in the meantime, make sure you are entering the correct camera details such as sensor size and field of view/focal length.

The difficult part with this is that you only get to know what your actual fov is after you solve a scene. It can be measured using a reference scene or some easy scene which solves correctly. Numbers on lenses or in spec sheets are not actual values and can produce as much error as lens distortion.
I do stuff

Kel Philm

PostFri Dec 14, 2018 12:05 pm

Most solves take into account that these values are not precise, but solves usually work better with these estimates than without.

Hendrik Proosa

PostFri Dec 14, 2018 12:30 pm

It depends. If there is possibility in software to set whether any value is soft or hard constraint, you can use estimate as inital seed for solve. But if you use estimate as hard constraint, it can be worse than not setting it at all.
I do stuff

Kel Philm

PostFri Dec 14, 2018 9:51 pm

Yes, if you put inaccurate data into any function it is not a good thing.

Return to Fusion