Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Change Fusion Comp Length?

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Timber

Change Fusion Comp Length?

PostWed Jun 26, 2019 7:09 pm

Sometimes it's the simplest things. I'm cutting a piece, and I have some of the sources as clips from AE, and some as Fusion comps, made from ftg in the Edit timeline. All I want to do is extend the length of a Fusion comp by holding the starting and ending frames. But A. changing the speed/length/freezing a Fusion comp in the Edit timeline is a DISASTER, B. Opening Edit timeline footage in Fusion doesn't give one edit range and first/last hold frame controls, C. Making an empty Fusion Comp in the Edit timeline and pasting in the node tree from the old comp kinda works, and now I get the ftg hold controls, but the comp also seems to have picked up some Color keyframes from an entirely different shot in a different version of the timeline, that there's no node for (RFX Camera Shake) (????!!!!). I could just bail on Fusion and bang this up in After Effects in 3 minutes flat, but I want to know WTF I'm doing wrong.

And PS there doesn't seem to be any way to rename a Fusion Comp that will show up in the Edit timeline, and the same or worse with Adjustment Clips.

Timber

Re: Change Fusion Comp Length?

PostThu Jun 27, 2019 5:41 am

Hello? (knock knock knock) Is this thing on? Using Studio 16b4

Timber

PostTue Jul 23, 2019 5:07 am

Saddened that NO-ONE has been willing or able to answer this question.

Harold Tomlinson

PostTue Jul 23, 2019 5:32 am

If you are using Fusion Studio, see the section in the manual on Playing Clips. It tells you how to shorten or lengthen a clip by changing the number of frames in the timeline.

In Resolve’s Fusion, I think you can just drag the end of the clip. See the Fusion section of the Resolve Manual under the title: Adjusting Clip Timings.
---
Resolve Studio 18.1.1 /Fusion Studio 18.1.1
Mac Pro 2019 - 2.5 GHz 28-Core 240 GB
- AMD Radeon Pro W5700X 16 GB + Radeon VII 16GB
BMPCC6k - BMPCC4k - GH5s - GH4 - GoPro Hero 7 Black
vimeo.com/haroldtomlinson
creacom.smugmug.com

Enrico Perei

PostTue Jul 23, 2019 5:49 am

Hey Tim,

I only use Fusion standalone (highly recommended in my opinion) and I just tried in Resolve but haven't found a direct solution yet.

If I want to change a Clips' duration it just maxes out at the clips end, instead of adding blank frames...that should be a thing in my opinion.

HOWEVER
You could add blank clips before and after the clip in question and then create a "New Compound Clip" with those three.

Now you "just" need to copypasta the Fusion script and probably move keyframes around.

...or just do it in standalone Fusion and export it as a new clip into the resolve Timeline.
(I know this is a hacky workaround but this is one of the reasons why I don't like the approach "my software can do everything, even make coffee and stock up your fridge ...")

See, as you probably know, we usually start a comp at frame 1001 to compensate for potential shifts in the plate.
I don't see the "Global Start / End" in Fusion Resolve, so this seems to be no option (it would confuse non compositors anyways) which is another reason why I like my software to do one thing and one thing only so that it excells at this one thing ...

This is also another reason why Fusion should always have a standalone version !!

Anyways, hth, I guess by now you did it in AE...

cheers,
enrico

Chad Capeland

PostWed Jul 24, 2019 2:46 am

Enrico Perei wrote:I don't see the "Global Start / End" in Fusion Resolve, so this seems to be no option (it would confuse non compositors anyways) which is another reason why I like my software to do one thing and one thing only so that it excells at this one thing ...

This is something pretty critical for using Fusion in Resolve. There needs to be much better relative time handling. Whether that's accessing handles on clips, or transitions, or referencing other clips in the timeline, or referencing keyframes from Color or Edit or Fairlight... Just because it doesn't do that doesn't mean it's a bad idea, it just needs to be built to accomplish those things.
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

Timber

PostTue Nov 05, 2019 5:01 am

I'm now using Fusion 16 standalone, and am being plagued by it's apparent 1,000-frame composition limit. Oy.

Sander de Regt

PostTue Nov 05, 2019 8:01 am

1000 frame limit? Where would you get that idea? I've done comps with thousands of frames.
Can you tell us a bit about your setup, because I have no idea how you'd even setup a limit like that.
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

JP Docherty

PostTue Nov 05, 2019 10:30 am

See attached jpg. You can double click the circled number and change it to anything you like, thereby extending the comp.
Attachments
fu16extendComp.jpg
extend comp length
fu16extendComp.jpg (34.53 KiB) Viewed 8586 times

Pieter Van Houte

PostTue Nov 05, 2019 2:12 pm

Indeed you need TWO valuable clicks to edit a value in Fusion 16.
Support We Suck Less on Patreon -> https://www.patreon.com/wesuckless

https://www.steakunderwater.com/wesuckless

JP Docherty

PostTue Nov 05, 2019 6:59 pm

Quite right Pieter - foolish of me to default back to the fu9 usage in my memory just because ITS WAY MORE SENSIBLE!
:roll:

Timber

PostSat Dec 28, 2019 7:15 pm

Not long after this I figured out how to make a comp longer than 1000 frames in Fusion. Clickedy-click!

chrismcqueen

PostWed Sep 16, 2020 12:36 am

Any updates on this? I ran into the exact same issue as original poster. I can't believe there's no way to simply extend the duration of the fusion clip.

the_whiteside

PostFri Feb 12, 2021 7:03 pm

Came across this issue myself and found no way to do it within fusion itself, though it is possible to some degree in the edit tab of resolve.

You need to change the duration of the clip for it to give you more frames to work with.

Robert Jones

PostThu Aug 26, 2021 4:39 am

So I see many people in here striggling with this issue. I just ran into the same thing and here is how you do it.

Resolve Fusion 17

Right click the fusion clip and choose "open timeline" from the contextual menu. when the timeline opens, strech the still image to how ever long you want it, then to get out of this timeline. Double click the text / bread crumbs text named "Timeline" down in the lower left corner of the time line, and it will jump you back to the main timeline you just came from.

The little text in the corner should say Timeline > Fusion clip

It doesn't look clickable, but it is.
Make sure you actually double click on the word "Timeline", otherwise nothing will happen.

Hope this helps.
Ventura 13.5.2
Resolve 18.6.4 Studio
Radeon RX 580 8192 MB
Mac 5.1 2,66 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 32 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Caldigit Pro HD, 8TB

badbunny

PostSun Apr 10, 2022 10:31 am

Hi,

I couldn't follow the last post in Resolve 17, as I I can't see any context menu saying 'open timeline' to follow that instruction. I suspect this may have changed in the updates since then.

Just to clarify this issue, when I drag a 55 frame clip into the fusion node panel, the fusion composition length defaults to 119 frames, thus empty frames at the end of the clip. I just wanted to reduce the fusion comp length to 55 frames.

Having figured it out myself, I just though I'd share this. Using Resolve 17.4.6 build 4, (after inserting clip into fusion page as above) go to the edit page, and you can change the fusion composition clip on the timeline in one of several ways:
- drag the end of the fusion composition (in the timeline) to lengthen/shorten
- right click on the clip in the timeline and select 'change duration', select between time and frames at top of this window and set the duration you want

I couldn't find any way to change the fusion composition length in the fusion page itself, but not a big deal flipping back to the edit page then back to fusion. Is there a way to do this just on the fusion page?

Pete.

Return to Fusion