Importing AAF

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

marcello,

Importing AAF

PostWed Nov 29, 2023 9:53 am

Is there a way to import AAF (AAF file, WAV folder and MP4 reference video) as used by audio editors so I can see in Resolve (Fairlight ?) what has been done by a sound technician that worked on my video?

PhoenixRiddle

Re: Importing AAF

PostWed Nov 29, 2023 1:14 pm

Yep, importing AAF files into Resolve is pretty straightforward, especially for checking out what your sound tech did.

You just need to import the AAF file, make sure your WAV files and MP4 video are somewhere Resolve can find them and it will link them up if your AAF is set up right. Then jump over to the Fairlight page. You'll see all the audio work laid out there. Your MP4 video should sync with the audio, so you can see and hear the changes.

If anything goes wonky, check the file paths and make sure the AAF isn't corrupted.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Arthur C. Clarke

marcello,

PostThu Nov 30, 2023 10:28 pm

But if I do "Import Media" and click on the AAF files.. nothing happens. Nor if I drag it. How to import it?

PhoenixRiddle

PostFri Dec 01, 2023 1:33 pm

Ah, gotcha. If the usual 'Import Media' and dragging aren't working for the AAF, there's another way to try. In Resolve, go to the Media Pool, right-click, and choose 'Import AAF, EDL, XML'. From there, select your AAF file. This should do the trick.

Make sure your WAV and MP4 files are in a location Resolve can easily access. If the AAF is correctly set up, Resolve will link everything together. Then, head over to the Fairlight page to see the audio work and check if the video syncs well with it.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Arthur C. Clarke

marcello,

PostSat Dec 02, 2023 11:58 am

Don't get the option...
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-12-02 at 12.55.42.png
Screenshot 2023-12-02 at 12.55.42.png (79.71 KiB) Viewed 516 times

PhoenixRiddle

PostSun Dec 03, 2023 11:55 am

Hmm... I think that might be a glitch. Try creating a new project and see if the option shows up there. Sometimes, software quirks can be project-specific.

Also, double-check that you've got the latest version of Resolve. Might be something connected to that

Return to DaVinci Resolve