Asus PA32 UCR with DeckLink Mini Monitor 4K

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

coldcase

Asus PA32 UCR with DeckLink Mini Monitor 4K

PostThu Nov 16, 2023 2:13 pm

Hello,
my monitor Asus PA32 UCR has 1 DisplayPort (1.2), 3 HDMI (2.0), USB-C (Displayport). Only via Displayport the monitor runs in 10 bit with my RTX 2060. The Decklink has only HDMI. That means only 8 bit possible? I have not opened the package with the Decklink, should I do it?

Thanks!

Jochen

PhoenixRiddle

Re: Asus PA32 UCR with DeckLink Mini Monitor 4K

PostThu Nov 16, 2023 2:30 pm

Hey, Jochen

Just wanna put my 2 cents in. Since the Asus supports 10-bit color only through its DisplayPort and the DeckLink outputs via HDMI, you're indeed likely limited to 8-bit color.

I think that, if maintaining a 10-bit workflow is essential for your work, particularly for color accuracy or detailed graphics work, the DeckLink Mini Monitor 4K might not be the ideal choice for your current setup. Before opening the DeckLink package, I'd recommend considering how critical the 10-bit capability is for your projects.

If it's a priority, you might want to look into alternatives that support 10-bit color over DisplayPort, which would be more compatible with your Asus monitor.

Hope this helps in making your decision!
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Arthur C. Clarke

coldcase

PostThu Nov 16, 2023 10:45 pm

Thanks for your advice. I just read the rtx 2060 delivers 10bit only on DP. Maybe 10 bit works with another graphic card?

coldcase

PostSun Nov 19, 2023 3:29 am

Black magic support answered immediately. It should work, because the monitor is 10bit and so it should deliver it on each output. I opened the box and installed the device. After some hours I was proud to see my video on the monitor. I followed the Blackmagic description on youtube for that monitor: HDR Workflows With DaVinci Resolve And ASUS ProArt Displays-( but he used Mac and a Blackmagic breakoutbox that costs a lot). My result: 8bit. By the way, it was not possible to calibrate the HDR section with the delivered I1 display. ( calibration stops with the nice advice: do it again.) 10 bit with the RTX 2060 is only provided via DP too. HDR workflow only with 10 bit and Decklink. Maybe I return everything. I was looking for one of these LG tvs, used . I saw one, 2 years old, like new. With burned in Netflix logo. Next buy: wool and knitting needles. Help!

PhoenixRiddle

PostMon Nov 20, 2023 8:32 am

Hey Jochen!

It's quite a situation you've found yourself! All I can add is that it's true that the RTX 2060's 10-bit support is limited to DisplayPort. If 10-bit color depth is a must-have for your projects, considering a graphics card that can deliver 10-bit color over HDMI might be a good route. This would align better with the DeckLink Mini Monitor 4K's capabilities and your monitor's potential.

As for the LG TV option you mentioned, be cautious with OLED TVs for professional color grading or graphics work, especially used ones. Burn-in, like the Netflix logo you mentioned, can be a significant issue. It underscores the importance of choosing the right tool for the job.

Wishing you the best in resolving this!

Best regards,
PhoenixRiddle
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Arthur C. Clarke

coldcase

PostMon Nov 20, 2023 12:56 pm

Today I got a phonecall from Asus support, very kind and competent. They say HDMI from the monitor is also 10 bit. It seems the RTX 2060 with its limitation on 8bit on the HDMI is the bad boy, and the Decklink is also limited by him. It will take some time for me to check another graphiccard.

Uli Plank

PostTue Nov 21, 2023 7:39 am

The Decklink should not be affected by this, it is driven directly by DR. After all, that's the purpose of it, to circumvent anything the OS might be doing to the signal.
Did you set your output in the project to 10 bit after choosing the Decklink in the prefs ans restarting DR?
If the Decklink and the Monitor agree on supporting 10 bit, it should work, but HDMI can be finicky.
Maybe AI can help you. Or make you obsolete.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 12.7.3
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

coldcase

PostWed Nov 22, 2023 7:28 pm

Meanwhile the monitor decided to show 10bit with the decklink. Problems solved. No need for another RTX or monitor. I don´t know why. (But I do know what you think about.)

Thanks for your help!

mahewps

PostThu Nov 23, 2023 4:21 am

Your monitor can only run in 10-bit color when connected via DisplayPort. Since the Decklink only has HDMI ports, it suggests that only an 8-bit color depth would be possible. Whether you should open the package with the Decklink is a decision you need to make based on your specific requirements and preferences.

coldcase

PostFri Dec 01, 2023 12:45 am

After that, I have new questions. After a calibration with the monitor software you get a nice report, you can print it and hang it on the wall. 3 user calibrations and several presets are possible. But there is no new icc profile after the calibration.The calibration of the HDR section always fails short before the end. Connected with the decklink, the card let me choose 2 of the HDR presets on the OSD. When I use the monitor with Resolve and the decklink, how is that affected by the monitor calibration?

Thanks,

Jochen

PhoenixRiddle

PostSun Dec 03, 2023 5:31 pm

Nice setup with the Asus PA32 UCR and DeckLink!

About the missing ICC profile, that's normal for some monitors which store calibration data internally. The HDR calibration issue might be a software glitch or a compatibility problem.

Using Resolve with your DeckLink should give you accurate colors, but if HDR calibration isn't finishing, it could affect your HDR color accuracy. Maybe check for any firmware or software updates that could help.

Cheers!

coldcase

PostMon Dec 04, 2023 6:50 pm

Thanks for your answer. I just found a solution for the problem. Obviously the Asus software is not updating the driver for the x-rite. You can´t find a driver in the Device Manager. It is hidden in the x-rite software. Installing the x-rite calibration software installs the updated driver for the x-rite display. Now Asus software can calibrate the HDR section.

Thanks for your help

Jochen

Return to Post Production