Blackmagic Pocket 6K Footage Causes Windows 11 Crash

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

thegoonies

Blackmagic Pocket 6K Footage Causes Windows 11 Crash

PostMon Dec 04, 2023 5:15 am

I recently downloaded some official Blackmagic BRAW footage from this gallery page:
blackmagicdesign.com/products/blackmagicpocketcinemacamera/gallery

Everything was fine until I saved and unzipped the "Mitch Blewitt in Barrel" surfing footage to my desktop.

Windows 11 Explorer immediately began to crash, restart, then crash again, quickly, over and over like a machine gun caught in a never ending loop, making the computer completely unusable. The problem continued even after getting the PC into Safe Mode, preventing me from deleting the "Mitch Blewitt in Barrel" BRAW file. I was about to do a complete system reformat, but tried one last thing.

I restarted the PC again, but instead of trying Safe Mode I went into the Recovery Options page. For those who don't know, Recovery Options is mostly just used to load an imaged version for a previous state of your OS from a USB drive, however this page also allows you to copy and delete files from your OS drive. So of course I deleted the "Mitch Blewitt in Barrel" file, and the Windows Explorer crashing loop was fixed.

After that, just to make sure the issue wasn't caused by something else, I re-downloaded the "Mitch Blewitt in Barrel" file to my desktop, and again, the Windows Explorer crashing began.

I went through the rest of the gallery and found three other files that produced the same results:
"Empty Wave Spits"
"Over the Edge"
"An Epic Wave"

All of them are from the original Pocket 6K camera.

I even found the same issue happen with another Pocket 6K camera file from a completely separate.

After doing more research I found a somewhat similar complaint from a Reddit user also dealing with Pocket 6K footage:
reddit.com/r/bmpcc/comments/l59y1w/corrupted_braw_files_on_windows/

Here's my theory:

I can only assume that the file itself, or it's metadata is somehow corrupted, or no longer compatible with current Windows 11 operating systems. These issues could stem from the files being produced by a Pocket 6K camera on older firmware, which was later fixed with updates.

Either way, since Windows 11 automatically reads metadata as soon as a file is shown in an open folder, for the purpose of displaying stats like "size" "date modified" and even the its thumbnail, it then makes sense that the corrupted portion would then cause Windows Explorer to crash. And if Windows Explorer ever crashes, it automatically tries to restart itself. On top of that, it also makes sense that if the folder the corrupted file is in is the desktop, which is always open, then Windows Explorer could easily find itself in a crashing/restarting loop.

Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem, and if you ever do then the aforementioned solution will probably work for you.

antoine

Re: Blackmagic Pocket 6K Footage Causes Windows 11 Crash

PostFri Dec 08, 2023 9:09 pm

Hi Chris,

Could you confirm which version of BRAW Player / SDK did you test ? Please open the Blackmagic RAW player and look in the About the version. By the way there's a new version 3.6 that got out a few days ago, cf. https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support/

Feel free to contact us for more precise troubleshooting
BRAW Studio FREE and Premium for Adobe Premiere Pro and After Effects, with a brand new Desktop .BRAW Player and Color Grader, as well as an automatic White Balance Color Picker tool

thegoonies

PostFri Dec 22, 2023 4:46 am

antoine wrote:Hi Chris,

Could you confirm which version of BRAW Player / SDK did you test ? Please open the Blackmagic RAW player and look in the About the version. By the way there's a new version 3.6 that got out a few days
Feel free to contact us for more precise troubleshooting

I was using 3.5, but the issue persists in 3.6.

I don't think it's BRAW player related, because even without BRAW player installed, downloading the file to the desktop still causes the issue.

Also, how do I contact for more precise trouble shooting?

antoine

PostThu Dec 28, 2023 10:31 am

Hi Chris

You can contact Blackmagic Design support, or our own support on our website Autokroma

You said "Either way, since Windows 11 automatically reads metadata as soon as a file" but most probably this happens through Blackmagic RAW Windows Explorer DLL that is loaded automatically by Windows Explorer once you install Blackmagic RAW Player and Thumbnails (or BRAW Studio suite, we also have a DLL for Windows Explorer)
BRAW Studio FREE and Premium for Adobe Premiere Pro and After Effects, with a brand new Desktop .BRAW Player and Color Grader, as well as an automatic White Balance Color Picker tool

Return to Post Production