Adobe's new data terror

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Michel Rabe

Adobe's new data terror

PostSat Jun 08, 2024 9:54 am

Adobe updated it's terms and users are now forced to grant access to any and all data they create with the software.

If users don't agree to the new terms, they cannot access the software, they can't even uninstall it.
The underlying intent seems to be feeding their AI.

section 2.2, "Our Access to Your Content ... may access, view, or listen to your Content through both automated and manual methods, but only in limited ways, and only as permitted by law."

The "Content," outlined in section 4.1, includes "any text, information, communication, or material, such as audio files, video files, electronic documents, or images, that you upload, import into, embed for use by, or create using the Services and Software."

Section 4.2 states that users grant a "non-exclusive, worldwide, royalty-free sublicensable, license, to use, reproduce, publicly display, distribute, modify, create derivative works based on, publicly perform, and translate the Content."

rNeil H

Re: Adobe's new data terror

PostSat Jun 08, 2024 7:17 pm

They've released a clarifying long statement on the official Adobe blog. I've been around corporate Adobe for a decade now, and it's typical. Their legal people are some of the worst at generating these statements out there.

Over and over, they produce verbiage that simply looks horrific. But once the various bits are compared, seeing that a clause from B3 paragraph a2 is a limitation on the sections of C2 paragraph A1a, and section D4 paragraph X3 limiting section A2 paragraph c1, ad infinitum, it ain't so bad.

Like most, inherently, I have at least a basic cynicism for the output and intentions of any large group of humans, corporations, government agencies, NGOs, anything. Caution always seems wise.

But having read through the blamed ridiculous verbiage, and the explanation, I think they need to completely junk this and produce a new one with clarity within each section. Not making seemingly wide application comments in one section, with the limitation details spread out in multiple other places.

Basic highly intelligent stupidity at work. And they deserve any horrified comments they get.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Michel Rabe

PostSun Jun 09, 2024 3:34 pm

I think the imprecision of their wording is intended.

That statement is just an attempt to tame the sh*tstorm but does nothing to the actual terms, which remain concerning. They have been before, but now more people realize.

I left Adobe once they started the subscription model and never looked back but for agencies relying on their software and having clients demanding certain legal terms with their data, it's not a nice situation.

rNeil H

PostTue Jun 11, 2024 12:02 am

A recent post on the Adobe pro editor Facebook page:

Adobe has listened and is working on updating the TOS.
Here are the bullet points:

You own your content.

We don’t train generative AI on customer content.

You have a choice to not participate in our product improvement program.

The licenses we require to operate and improve our products on your behalf should be narrowly tailored to the activities needed.

Adobe does not scan content stored locally on your computer in any way.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

mickspixels

PostTue Jun 11, 2024 11:56 am

rNeil H wrote:A recent post on the Adobe pro editor Facebook page:
Adobe does not scan content stored locally on your computer in any way.

Here's a link to an Adobe blog post which says the same and expands on it as well.

https://blog.adobe.com/en/publish/2024/ ... rms-of-use

They really messed up with the original update as it was really unclear what was meant at all. In particular, it wasn't clear that it was just referring to material uploaded to their cloud. The idea that they could be scanning material on one's computer would be extremely intrusive but not really credible. I wonder who or what wrote the update. Anyway the blog post has named human authors.

Nothing to worry about any more than anything else about AI. A bigger issue right now for photographers is what it is going to do to stock photography which is already in the doldrums.

Michel Rabe

PostTue Jun 11, 2024 2:36 pm

That blog post is not legally binding afaik, though. It's more of an attempt to counter the shi*storm, probably written by their lawyers.

The only thing that matters are the words in the actual terms you agree to. We'll see if they change them and how.

Marc Wielage

PostThu Jun 13, 2024 6:42 am

It's a public relations nightmare. Social media is going nuts screaming about how repressive and evil Adobe is.

Note that Facebook and Instagram are also going to be using people's photographs and artworks to use to train their A.I. systems...

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/cw99n3qjeyjo
Certified DaVinci Resolve Color Trainer • AdvancedColorTraining.com

Michel Rabe

PostThu Jun 13, 2024 1:21 pm

Also, YouTube has the same terms about granting licenses as Adobe.

Adobe does have a history of screwing users over with their terms, though (stock library contributors), so they've already proven they can be 'evil'.

The battle for AI supremacy is probably the most fought over market right now and I have little trust in any of the players to uphold promises unless it's written in legally binding terms.

Options are out there, everyone can (still) choose.

I left FB and Insta years ago. Businesses mostly feel the need to cater to social media, though.

Return to Post Production