Where do they look for a DaVinci editors?

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Norbert339

Where do they look for a DaVinci editors?

PostTue Jun 25, 2024 5:12 pm

Maybe it is off topic a little, but if I want to find an editing job at a big company, where they look for DaVinci Resolve editors/second editors for feature movies, where are they looking for potential employees?

I would move to LA if I got a great offer.

Peter Cave

Re: Where do they look for a DaVinci editors?

PostTue Jun 25, 2024 11:02 pm

If you want to work at a big company I would learn what they use. In all my years of editing I have never come across a big company using Resolve for editing, only for finishing work for final delivery. These days I recommend learning Premiere and Avid for editing as you will get much more work. They are just tools so don't get too obsessive about which you use! :D
Resolve 19.0 b4 Mac OSX 14.5 Sonoma
Mac Studio Max 32GB

stephen_neal

PostMon Jul 01, 2024 10:35 am

Norbert339 wrote:Maybe it is off topic a little, but if I want to find an editing job at a big company, where they look for DaVinci Resolve editors/second editors for feature movies, where are they looking for potential employees?

I would move to LA if I got a great offer.

In mainstream movie and high-end TV production, Resolve is primarily a tool used by colourists for grading, not editors for cutting.

Avid Media Composer is by far the most dominant editing platform for film and TV production in my experience, with Premiere Pro also getting some use in TV (particularly sport). FCP is in use for some smaller TV projects, and location editing for News in some areas.

If you want to work as an editor in film and TV - being a great story teller, able to work solo and collaboratively with a producer/director, and to be able to cut quickly in Avid is going to be the key to employability.

Marc Wielage

PostWed Jul 10, 2024 7:40 am

stephen_neal wrote:If you want to work as an editor in film and TV - being a great story teller, able to work solo and collaboratively with a producer/director, and to be able to cut quickly in Avid is going to be the key to employability.

Although... most of the big color shops in LA using Resolve need conform editors and finishing editors 24/7, around the clock. They use them to prepare projects, update projects as they change, and then render and deliver the final files at the very end of the project. So there is a market for Resolve editors in that sense.
Certified DaVinci Resolve Color Trainer • AdvancedColorTraining.com

Norbert339

PostWed Jul 10, 2024 12:05 pm

Where do they look for editors like that? Is there a site or an agency?

Steve Fishwick

PostWed Jul 10, 2024 6:41 pm

Stephen is absolutely right; if you limit yourself to Resolve then your prospects for employment will be extremely limited, for editing. Avid Media Composer is by far the most common; and really a pre-requisite to know, in much of Film/TV for any professional editing work. Then PP, then FCP, but here those are mainly found in the corporate world and some sports; and far less common. I have never ever been offered one single job editing on Resolve; although I love it for my own stuff; and that may change in the future, if Avid don't get their act together, soon.

Davinci Resolve is very common now though in the finishing/colourist fields; but that is normally a senior role, much harder to get a start in.

stephen_neal

PostWed Jul 10, 2024 7:41 pm

Marc Wielage wrote:
stephen_neal wrote:If you want to work as an editor in film and TV - being a great story teller, able to work solo and collaboratively with a producer/director, and to be able to cut quickly in Avid is going to be the key to employability.

Although... most of the big color shops in LA using Resolve need conform editors and finishing editors 24/7, around the clock. They use them to prepare projects, update projects as they change, and then render and deliver the final files at the very end of the project. So there is a market for Resolve editors in that sense.

Yes - though presumably this is much more like online editing of old - where you are supporting the main editor who took the creative decisions at off-line level, and are supporting that decision making by providing excellent process assistance and working to ensure high technical standards?

In other words - you're not cutting the show, but you're ensuring the final cut of the show meets the right, excellent technical standards, as well as looking after exports, imports, versioning etc.?

Ellory Yu

PostWed Jul 10, 2024 8:20 pm

Norbert339 wrote:Where do they look for editors like that? Is there a site or an agency?
But back to the OP questions, where does he/she go look for one? What resource, agency, etc.
I have never tried applying for anything but there’s backstage.com that at times posts some editing work.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Marc Wielage

PostFri Jul 12, 2024 12:10 am

stephen_neal wrote:In other words - you're not cutting the show, but you're ensuring the final cut of the show meets the right, excellent technical standards, as well as looking after exports, imports, versioning etc.?

Yes, that is exactly right. Getting a staff job for this kind of work is possible all over LA. Just in the last couple of months, I've seen ads in LA for conform editors at Marvel, CO3, and Sphere Entertainment.

I agree with the others that if your ultimately career goal is to become a creative editor, then knowing Avid and Premiere is probably a better career path. Once you know Premiere, it's not that hard to shift to Resolve if you had to.
Certified DaVinci Resolve Color Trainer • AdvancedColorTraining.com

Norbert339

PostFri Jul 12, 2024 10:03 am

I used Premiere Pro in the past but for coloring stuff DaVinci
is the best and since they introduced editing I thought it would cover everything. I've never used Avid and no one uses it where I live. I used to work with Vegas Pro and I found it to be the very best for editing until now, for some scenarios better than Resolve. Since 2019 I've been using Resolve because Vegas Pro and Premiere crashed a lot.

Ellory Yu

PostSat Jul 13, 2024 6:09 am

I wonder why Resolve has not taken over Avid and Adobe PP in the NLE space? Could it just be a lot of old folks in the post house unwilling to try Resolve NLE or is there really a gap,in features that BMD needs to catch up?
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

stephen_neal

PostSat Jul 13, 2024 11:31 am

Ellory Yu wrote:I wonder why Resolve has not taken over Avid and Adobe PP in the NLE space? Could it just be a lot of old folks in the post house unwilling to try Resolve NLE or is there really a gap,in features that BMD needs to catch up?

From a UK broadcast perspective - Avid is incredibly dominant. It's integrated into so many workflows in various areas in broadcast and post, it has been dominant for over 20 years, and around for more than 30 (Lightworks rivalled it in the early days of offline, FCP nibbled heavily at it before FCPX killed most of the broadcast and post market FCP7 had moved into. Prem Pro gets some love on smaller productions, companies with in-house post departments and staff editors, and some sport productions where its speed can be useful).

You have a huge workforce of experienced editors who chose to cut in Avid as they are used to it (and producers/directors chose their editor first and go with the platform they want to use most of the time). There is a large ecosystem to support big Avid installs, and the UK post market is dominated by it. (If you have 10s or 100s of edit seats accessing the same media pools, then integrating into MAMs, server storage, server delivery, archive etc. is key, as is the ability to multi-seat collaboratively).

Resolve is still very much seen as a great colourist tool that has editing added to it. It's still seen far more as a single-seat solution (one colourist typically grades a show at a time) - though BMD is obviously trying to change this view with their move to cloud/shared storage for collaboration. However the scale of this ambition is far smaller at the moment than would be required for a network newsroom, or a major weekly/daily TV show.

It feels far more optimised to content creators on social media and video streaming platforms like YouTube - which is a very valid market - just not necessarily one that many of us here are familiar with.

My experience as a director at the more technical end of the spectrum at the BBC over the last 30 years started with linear tape (1", D3, Betacam SP, DigiBeta, DVCam) edited in linear tape suites, then offline Avid and Lightworks that was online conformed in linear tape suites, then online quality editing in Avid and FCP (FCS3/FCP7 was very popular at the BBC in factual - we had lots of seats), continuing with Avid and FCP into the tape era, and then eventually ditching FCP when FCP7 became unsupportable.

In BBC News we went from linear tape to Quantel/SAM/GV's sQ ecosystem - which has now been EOLed but is still BBC News's dominant platform globally for cutting fast turnaround news (The Frame Magic server concept is still close to unrivalled). FCP(X) are used by BBC News for location editing - and BBC Sport uses a lot of Avid along with EVS and some Prem Pro. BBC Factual and Drama is pretty much universally Avid - as is the post production industry we use when we go out of house (which is standard in London these days).

Dmount1

PostSat Jul 13, 2024 12:03 pm

If you're aiming for big companies and feature films using DaVinci Resolve, LA is definitely a hotspot. Besides job boards like LinkedIn and Indeed, networking at industry events or joining relevant Facebook groups.

Return to Post Production