Incorrect aspect ratio in viewer for PAL 16x9

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

damago1

Incorrect aspect ratio in viewer for PAL 16x9

PostSun Jan 31, 2021 5:03 pm

When working with PAL (MiniDV or Digital8) footage which is 16x9 (anamorphic) in cut and edit page the image is distorted (is shown as 4:3 instead of 16x9 so everything is stretched vertically). On media page the image can be distored or not depending on what you did previously in other tabs (see notes below). What is weird: on "Color" page the image is shown correctly, stretched to 16x9. In Fusion and Color: correctly, in Fairlight incorrectly, in Delivery correctly.

But the bug is more convoluted see notes below becouse the viewers behaviour is updated weird way after changing timeline or changing options:

Steps to reproduce:
- import PAL 16x9 (720x576 interlaced, 50i anamorphic) footage
- set clip attributes (if not set correctly already by autodiscovery):
Pixel Aspect Ratio: PAL 16x9
Field dominance (should be autodetected, here: Auto - Lower Field)
- create new project in project settings set all settings for interlaced workflow:
Timeline resolution 720 x 576 PAL 16:9
[x] Enable video field processing
Video monitoring > Video format: PAL 16:9

Now in some pages (media page, cut page, edit page) the image in viewers is distorted, shown as 4:3 instead of 16x9.

Additional observations:
- when I add yet another timeline and set the other timeline for 720p progressive workflow (with deinterlacing of original material), and go to edit page with this timeline selected: suddenly everything 'flips' and suddenly the same viewers work differently: on media page: I view source clips: shows correctly as 720p, the 720p timeline: shows correctly the material as 16x9 the interlaced PAL: timeline: shows correctly however with black bars under/over image

- I go to edit page again and choose another timeline (the interlaced one): the image is distorted to 4x3 also on Media Page when viewing clips ... etc

So there is a bug, the bug is viewer related. Applies to some tabs only. And is not consistent, depends on your earlier actions and settings.

ScottAckerlund

Re: Incorrect aspect ratio in viewer for PAL 16x9

PostWed May 05, 2021 7:14 pm

I am having the exact same issues as described above only working in NTSC and not PAL. Also the image DOES look correct on external monitor while in edit page but looks stretched in UI.

Workflow:

Working and delivery main content in HD. Raw footage is 3200X1800. Everything works as expecting.

To deliver in SD centercrop-
Duplicate all HD timelines and change to NTSC -

Timeline Res: 720X486 NTSC
PAR: 4:3 standard definition
Mismatched resolution files: Scale full frame with crop.

Monitor-
Video Format: NTSC

Output-
Use timeline settings

So why is there a difference in the image when simply going from the edit page to the deliver page. Upon export everything looks fine so this is only an issue when monitoring and again it looks correct on my external monitors when in the edit page - but stretched in the UI. No matter what settings I tweak there is always an image difference when going from the edit page to the color page. Thanks in advance for any help.

Return to Post Production