Duplicate clip, not clone clip

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

GalinMcMahon

Duplicate clip, not clone clip

PostMon Dec 06, 2021 6:03 am

This is a beyond basic question and it's driving me crazy.

I have a basic fusion comp that I'm using as a template for a series of intros where only the subtitle gets changed. In the Media Pool I duplicate the clip. I don't clone or sync it. I duplicate it. I edit the duplicated clip and leave the original clip alone. But for some reason Resolve makes the edit to BOTH clips. Again, I did not touch the first clip.

How do I turn this "feature" off so that duplicating duplicates instead of clone/sync?
Water cooled Windows 11 laptop
i9 12th gen - 64GB RAM - 16GB 3080ti
2TB 4th gen nvme main - 4TB 4th gen nvme scratch
Micro panel (thank you BM :) ) - Stream Deck
Resolve Studio 18.5
BenQ ultrawide - DeckLink 4k mini via Sonnet - 48” LG C2 OLED

Glenn Sakatch

Re: Duplicate clip, NOT clone clip

PostMon Dec 06, 2021 4:07 pm

Are you making a new fusion clip each time?
The media in and out nodes should be associated with the spot on the timeline that you are trying to affect.
Everything else can be a copy paste of the templates nodes.

If you do this in stand alone fusion you can just make a new saver with a new name, and that should work as well.

GalinMcMahon

PostMon Dec 06, 2021 5:43 pm

I *think* the problem is that the text that gets changed each video is a compound clip (text + background) that points to the same timeline for each clone of the composite. So if I change it on video 2, it also changes on video 1. I was hoping to be able to use a template without having to rebuild the comp every time. If I were designing this software, duplicate would duplicate everything being duplicated so there would be a duplicated nested timeline, not a reference to the shared original which is a sync, not a duplicate. That's what duplicate means to me.

I could see the way it's being done as a feature but it should be called sync. Not duplicate.
Water cooled Windows 11 laptop
i9 12th gen - 64GB RAM - 16GB 3080ti
2TB 4th gen nvme main - 4TB 4th gen nvme scratch
Micro panel (thank you BM :) ) - Stream Deck
Resolve Studio 18.5
BenQ ultrawide - DeckLink 4k mini via Sonnet - 48” LG C2 OLED

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Dec 08, 2021 7:55 am

moved to Resolve forum

and remove the shouting (all caps)
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Shrinivas Ramani

Blackmagic Design

Re: Duplicate clip, not clone clip

PostWed Dec 08, 2021 8:34 am

Hi Galin

Perhaps you can add a simple project export with a single comp (or clip) - where you can describe how you duplicate and not clone the comp, and which parameter in the comp you modify?

If nothing else, users seeing more specific information can check if it is a bug and suggest workarounds.

Regards
Shrinivas

Return to DaVinci Resolve