Recommended software to create DVD/BluRay with menu?

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Ulrich W.

Recommended software to create DVD/BluRay with menu?

PostMon Dec 06, 2021 8:39 pm

DaVinci Resolve lacks functions to master a DVD or BluRay with menus (as commercial discs have).
Is there a recommendation for such software that preferably integrates nicely with Resolve?

mediaman67

Re: Recommended software to create DVD/BluRay with menu?

PostMon Dec 06, 2021 11:09 pm

For the mac - you are limited to a few choices - I think for doing higher end BluRay - your only choice is really Adobe Encore.

I like to use Episode to do my DVD encodes because I think it's still the best there ever was for this. I still use DVD SP to make my DVD's - only cuz I know the software well, and the authoring is solid with it.

I have encore but to be honest, most of my clients are happy with a simple BluRay and I just use toast.

I know you can use Encore to do both though... but Toast is about as simple as it gets.

people care more about the quality of the video than flashy splash screens (in my experience) - but I guess for high end production for Replication - Encore would be it. (I would still use Episode to encode with - just cuz)

Im also interested in other replies esp for mac users on this topic - maybe there is a hidden gem that I don't know about either...

Andrew Kolakowski

PostTue Dec 07, 2021 8:55 pm

Resolve has not much to do with Blu-ray or DVD. You have no direct exports and even no complaint DVD or BD stream exports.
You just export intermediate master (ProRes, DNxHR etc.) and do rest in external apps. There is nothing special about it.

Most consumer DVD/BD tools are gone. Not many options there. I would probably recommend:
https://tmpgenc.pegasys-inc.com/en/product/taw6.html
one of the last maintained tools. On Mac- no idea. Toast ?

Encore is a prosumer tool- no one uses it for real mastering. It's dead product as well.
Professional BD tool still cost quite a lot of money.

Uli Plank

PostWed Dec 08, 2021 1:35 am

Encore was horrible, one of the worst softwares ever made for DVD authoring.
On the Mac Toast is a solution with limited options, for DVD their old DVD Studio Pro is still a good software for professional work if you can find an old Mac with an old MacOS.
Final Cut Pro X can make simple BluRays too.

Are you German (guessing from the name)? Then PM please and I can send you my book on DVD authoring.

To get DVD-compliant streams out of DR, there is the newest version of the MainConcept plug-in now (1.2).
I have not tested it yet, but here is the news from them:
"The new DVD render profiles enable you to create streams that are compliant with common DVD authoring tools on all platforms—Windows, Linux and macOS systems (Intel as well as M1-based)."
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Andrew Kolakowski

PostWed Dec 08, 2021 1:25 pm

Streams is one thing but actual DVD is another. If you don't need menus then it's easier, but if you want menus then not many solutions exist.

Uli Plank

PostWed Dec 08, 2021 1:31 pm

Yep, needs some time warp.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Ulrich W.

PostSun Feb 13, 2022 10:34 pm

Uli Plank wrote:Are you German (guessing from the name)? Then PM please and I can send you my book on DVD authoring.

Yes, I'm German, but I'm not a Mac-User; I'm doing editing with MS-Windows.

Ulrich W.

PostSun Feb 13, 2022 10:39 pm

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:Resolve has not much to do with Blu-ray or DVD. You have no direct exports and even no complaint DVD or BD stream exports.
You just export intermediate master (ProRes, DNxHR etc.) and do rest in external apps. There is nothing special about it.

Well I was/am using EDIUS so far, and there you can place chapter marks directly on the timeline and create even an animated DVD/BD menu from within the application, and eventually deliver to BD-R.
Having it all "under the hood" is rather nice as it saves extra work, even though the capabilities (e.g. styling) are limited.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostMon Feb 14, 2022 12:36 am

Edius is good for that. It's good for anything which needs to be done quickly and simply. It has its limitations as well unfortunately. Edius comes from very different world. Resolve use to be high-end grading tool only and you can still "feel it" (even after all that hard work BM has done).

SkierEvans

PostMon Feb 14, 2022 1:55 am

I am an EDIUS and Resolve user. However for encoding I prefer TMPGenc MW7 and for authoring DVDArchitect. TMPGenc will take almost any file type but I use HQX from either EDIUS or Resolve and encode for DVD or Bluray . Author once in DVD Architect and just change properties and files to get either DVD or Bluray.
Threadripper 1920, Gigabyte X399 DESIGNARE EX, 32G RAM, Gigabyte 4070Ti 12G, ASUS PB328Q, IP4K, WIN10 Pro 22H2, Speed Editor

Resolve Studio 18, EDIUS 9WG,EDIUS X WG, Vegas 18

Studio Max M1 24 core GPU, 32G, 1T drive. iPad Pro 12.9` M2 16G, 1T

Return to Post Production