A micro panel that’s portable

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Ellory Yu

A micro panel that’s portable

PostThu Dec 09, 2021 3:52 am

I know BM has reduced the price of the micro panel which is great but I need a panel that’s much smaller, lighter, portable, and around the price of a Ripple ($300). This will give me the ability to carry the panel on location for field work. I have had the Ripple and it’s good but what would be better is one from BM that can complement the Speed Editor in size and look, and well as on price. I think it will sell well to many Resolve users who can’t afford the micro or need a personal panel themselves. I hope this will be on BM radar soon.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Uli Plank

Re: A micro panel that’s portable

PostThu Dec 09, 2021 4:52 am

The only solutions right now might be the Beatstep controller by Glenn Venghaus (Mac only, no M1) or the Tangent VS for a tablet, which is unfortunately not tactile.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: c308790a-b848-489b-8f5a-06518069fb95

PostThu Dec 09, 2021 9:11 am

moved to Resolve forum
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Andy Mees

PostThu Dec 09, 2021 11:00 am

I don't see it happening Ellory. The Micro is already the small portable solution... functionally its already pretty much as pared down as it can be, so if all you're asking for is it 'smaller and lighter and cheaper' version of the exact same thing I don't see why BMD would be intersted to do that. As you note yourself, they've recently dropped the price on the Micro, making it a more affordable proposition. Why would they want to cannibalise those sales by introducing a new cheap plastic version for half the price? Seems like they would have to go out of their way to intentionally make it a low quality product. I mean, sure, it's always worth asking, but I don't see it happening. What they could make some money on tho, are some lower 'entry level' versions of their Fairlight Audio consoles. Hint, hint. ;)
Let's have a return to the glory days, when press releases for new versions included text like "...with over 300 new features and improvements that professional editors and colorists have asked for."

Uli Plank

PostThu Dec 09, 2021 11:56 am

There are cheaper plastic versions which I don't really like.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Ellory Yu

PostThu Dec 09, 2021 4:42 pm

Andy Mees wrote:I don't see it happening Ellory. The Micro is already the small portable solution... functionally its already pretty much as pared down as it can be, so if all you're asking for is it 'smaller and lighter and cheaper' version of the exact same thing I don't see why BMD would be intersted to do that.

Andy, have you tried carrying the Micro Panel to a location? It is heavy, bulky, and won't fit with a laptop and the speed editor on a decent size back pack. Calling it a Micro is a misnomer - like calling the Pocket Cine Camera a "pocket" camera when it won't even fit in a pocket of a cargo pants.

I carried it a couple of times to a location so the DIT can do a grade on the spot. It was heavy and bulking after a couple of days, we decided to return it to the rental company and never used it again. We have been using the Tangent Ripple, and sometimes the Tangent app for the iOS with a tablet. The problem with the Ripple and Tangent app is that the buttons does not map completely with BMD because BMD chose not to share their API. Also the Tangent app does not have the [tactile] feel of the track ball and buttons. So if there is some company who would be able to make an equivalent product, it's just BMD. If BM had shared their full API to integrate with Resolve, I will guarantee you that there will be a plethora of vendors who will make such devices for cheap. BTW, plastic construction is no big deal - most keyboard and sound panels have plastic casing.

Andy Mees wrote:As you note yourself, they've recently dropped the price on the Micro, making it a more affordable proposition. Why would they want to cannibalise those sales by introducing a new cheap plastic version for half the price? Seems like they would have to go out of their way to intentionally make it a low quality product. I mean, sure, it's always worth asking, but I don't see it happening. What they could make some money on tho, are some lower 'entry level' versions of their Fairlight Audio consoles. Hint, hint. ;)

Why wouldn't it be an opportunity for BMD? It's a win-win because more people will buy it at a cheaper and really portable size compared to the micro. Keep in mind that people who are now buying DR are buying it because it is much more affordable than AVID or Premier Pro, with a perpetual licensing. Think of it if DR becomes subscription based. You will have a mass exodus of Resolve to something else because most of the people owning it are not anymore those who work for post-houses, but just almost anyone who want to edit and do color grading for YouTube videos. This is the same with the panel. If there is a panel that is smaller and priced like the speed editor, there will be more people who can afford and will buy it. While the micro and higher are geared for a few pro, the portable and cheap version will be for a larger audience. BM can even market it like they did with the speed editor, bundling it with DR at first. BM will not be cannibalizing their sales of the micro or higher models because they have their audience, albeit limited. It's like saying the speed editing is cannibalizing the sales of the BM Editing Keyboard - which is not. My 2 cents.

Andy Mees wrote:What they could make some money on tho, are some lower 'entry level' versions of their Fairlight Audio consoles.

Folks don't buy Resolve for audio or VFX. Most folks use Protools for audio and Adobe AE for VFX.
Maybe for editing to some Resolve is used but mostly it is known for color grading. All these additions are just icing. Therefore, some cheaper and very portable version of the Color Panel will be useful especially for DITs on location. Also, DITs have no budget for expensive hardwares.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Return to DaVinci Resolve