Internal Power Cable for DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Douglas Bischoff

Internal Power Cable for DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G

PostTue Jan 11, 2022 1:40 pm

Hello all!

Just got this board and was hooking it into my system. As others have pointed out the manual is very wishy-washy on whether the extra power connection is required. I thought I'd give it a go. I have extra 6-pin power outputs on my power supply, and wanted to go direct from there to the board instead of unplugging one of my existing video cards and tapping into ITS power supply.

Can anyone advise whether this is a good idea (to go direct to the power supply)? The cable supplied wouldn't connect to the 6-pin out (it's a 6-pin with 8-pin side "block" - when you slide the extra 2 pins off the latch is no longer centered and won't grab to my power supply latch point) - so if it IS a good idea, what is the correct cable to do so?

Thanks for any advice.
Douglas Bischoff
Ceridwen Productions

Andrew Kolakowski

Re: Internal Power Cable for DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G

PostTue Jan 11, 2022 4:28 pm

Does it say that it requires extra power?
I don't think so. If it's specifically not mentioned then it means it doesn't require it.
Fact that you see a plug doesn't mean you need to plug something to it :)

There are people who use this card on the forum, so they may answer. If anything you of course need to use correct plug and don't with correct pins order or your card will be fried.

Douglas Bischoff

PostTue Jan 11, 2022 4:38 pm

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:Does it say that it requires extra power?
I don't think so. If it's specifically not mentioned then it means it doesn't require it.

Well, the manual specifically states "In some cases you may need extra power. Here is how to hook it up."

Soooo....?
Douglas Bischoff
Ceridwen Productions

Andrew Kolakowski

PostTue Jan 11, 2022 4:41 pm

In some cases you may need

so it means it should work without it (assuming you have modern good motherboard).
Try without. If all good no point trying to plug it. I think most people don't use it. Wait for people with this card or ask BM support directly.

It laso says that box should include "external power cable".

tristansummers

PostThu Jan 27, 2022 2:55 pm

Jujst thinking abouot this myself.
I think it does nothing, they just included it for future upgrades, which they never did.
You have to use the adaptor cable to get the pin layout correct, which I do not have, in case you want to sell one!
I do not seem to be getting HDMI 2.0 despite upgrading the daughter card just in case, so wondered if HDMI 2.0 needed more than 75W from the Mobo. Can't seem to source the right cable

"TIP DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G can also be connected to additional power using the
power adapter cable included with the card. DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G is very
powerful and we are always looking for ways to provide additional features, such as
mezzanine cards for expanded connectivity. For this purpose, we have included a
power adapter cable so you can plug in additional power if future hardware expansion
on your DeckLink card draws more power than your computer’s PCIe slot can provide.
If you need to supply external power to your DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G you can easily use the supplied
power adapter cable. Simply disconnect the power from your graphics card and plug it into the
adapter cable. The plug will only connect to one end so there’s no way to connect it incorrectly."

Jack Fairley

PostThu Jan 27, 2022 5:48 pm

tristansummers wrote:Jujst thinking abouot this myself.
I think it does nothing, they just included it for future upgrades, which they never did.
You have to use the adaptor cable to get the pin layout correct, which I do not have, in case you want to sell one!
I do not seem to be getting HDMI 2.0 despite upgrading the daughter card just in case, so wondered if HDMI 2.0 needed more than 75W from the Mobo. Can't seem to source the right cable

"TIP DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G can also be connected to additional power using the
power adapter cable included with the card. DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G is very
powerful and we are always looking for ways to provide additional features, such as
mezzanine cards for expanded connectivity. For this purpose, we have included a
power adapter cable so you can plug in additional power if future hardware expansion
on your DeckLink card draws more power than your computer’s PCIe slot can provide.
If you need to supply external power to your DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G you can easily use the supplied
power adapter cable. Simply disconnect the power from your graphics card and plug it into the
adapter cable. The plug will only connect to one end so there’s no way to connect it incorrectly."

The 12G was originally sold with an HDMI 1.4 daughterboard. I would check the part numbers on your card and make sure you actually have HDMI 2.0 ports, as you may have to replace it.
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

Return to Post Production