Cloud pod general intake

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Geddon

Cloud pod general intake

PostMon May 16, 2022 2:23 am

I just got the cloud pod a few days ago and I like it, but it’s not really ideal for what I want to do. I have it setup to sync new files to Dropbox then my pc will sync them from Dropbox, but that can take a while since my upload speed is not great. Is there a way to have the pod sync to my pc instead of Dropbox? Then my pc can sync the files up to Dropbox. That way I’m not wasting bandwidth bringing the files back down. I can live with how it is working, and I could always just plug the drive in and pull down files directly but I like the idea of being lazy and just connecting the ssd to the pod and letting it sync anything new up to Dropbox and down to my pc.

shenrods

Re: Cloud pod general intake

PostMon May 16, 2022 8:25 pm

Understand the bandwidth and in my case data limit issues with doing it via cloud storage. Here is my suggestion. For your issue and mine - separate the two sync issues - having the pod sync with dropbox is one issue. We cannot alleviate that - so use it. Then I would suggest to use a local program to sync your computer with the pod on your wired network - there are a lot of them that will keep the local network files synced on multiple computers and storage devices.

roger.magnusson

PostTue May 17, 2022 9:06 am

The idea is that local computers connect directly to the pod over the local network, so you don’t have to sync. Does that not suit your use case?

Bob Zelin

PostMon May 30, 2022 2:14 pm

Roger is accurate. The Cloud Pod or Cloud Store Mini, or soon the full Cloud Store will connect to your local 10G ethernet network in your office (yes, you buy a little 10G switch for the Cloud Pod or Cloud Store Mini). The Cloud Store Mini has 8TB of internal storage, and the Cloud Pod - you plug in your thunderbolt 3 drive to it, and this becomes your media storage (the Cloud Pod is not as fast as the Cloud Store Mini or Cloud Store). Once your computers are connected to the switch, everyone in the office can share the media, and edit directly off of the Cloud Store product. There is no reason to "sync" your computers with Dropbox to the Cloud Store - you just go to work.

The Sync feature to Dropbox is so that a REMOTE EDITOR that has a Cloud Pod, can log into your Dropbox account and have that media sync to his local system at his home, and start editing. For a Resolve 18 client, they would join Blackmagic Cloud, sign in, and the project data would appear as well. But if you are using Premiere, etc. you could just email the remote editor your project list. (It's not as slick as with Resolve 18).

I don't care if it's BMD Cloud Store, LucidLink, Hedge PostLab Drive, or anyone else's solution. If you need that media to be shared - you are at the mercy of your internet speed connections. That is why Proxy workflow is so cool. And that is why when you see these really cool demonstrations of products like LucidLink with full res 4K media - well, SOMEONE put the time and effort to upload that full res media. With Proxy media, everything is faster.

Bob
Bob Zelin
bobzelin@icloud.com
www.bobzelin.com

Geddon

PostThu Jun 02, 2022 2:15 am

I like the device even if it is overkill for my situation. I just copy over files on the network if I want them fast and if I don’t need them right away I just plug in the ssd and let it sync up to Dropbox then back down to my pc.

Return to Post Production