12k Recording to U.2 SSD via Mini Recorder

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Ryan D

12k Recording to U.2 SSD via Mini Recorder

PostSat May 15, 2021 10:09 pm

I have been shooting on the 12K for almost a year now. Recently upgraded my build with the Mini Recorder to record directly to SSD's. Per the Mini Recorder description, I decided to invest in the "Blazing Fast" U.2 SSD's.

The drives I purchased are: Samsung PM983 2.5" 960GB (PCIe Gen3)
model # MZ-QLB960HAJR-00007

After formatting my new drive in camera, there was nothing different than any other card I ever formatted so I filmed (2) INTV's that recorded without any problems. My mistake was assuming I could simply plug these into my SATA SSD dock and download. After realizing that these new drives do not fit I began searching for a solution to download the drives.

I purchased:

Icy Dock U.2 NVMe SSD to USB 3.2 Gen 2 Adapter

The new dock sees the drive via USB but does not mount to allow access to my recorded media. I cannot find any other solutions to access this media.

Can someone please help me figure out what the best solution is to transfer the shot media off of these drives.

Ryan D

Re: 12k Recording to U.2 SSD via Mini Recorder

PostMon May 24, 2021 10:25 pm

Anybody out there able to drop some knowledge on this subject?

Can I use the mini-recorder attached to the URSA 12K to transfer this media? Would I go directly from the mini-recorder via USB-C to my computer using the camera to power the recorder? Would I leave the mini-recorder attached to the URSA and use the alternate USB-C port next to the C-Fast card slots to transfer?

Just trying to get answers before I try doing something that corrupts my shot drive or media.

Your expert opinions matter to me :)

Ryan D

PostTue May 25, 2021 2:49 pm

OKAY... FOR ANYONE OUT THERE INTERESTED IN THE SOLUTION....

It is actually so intuitive I feel stupid. You can transfer the drives via the mini-recorder so long as you connect the recorder to the computer and use the camera power for transfer. This is simple and it works.

Going forward, I hope BM provides a portable "external" solution so the camera does not need to stay out of production to wield forces for post-production. I know they have the MultiDock 10G but I don't believe it has support for U.2 SSD's. Having to put the camera in time out to transfer files is not the best option, but like I said, it works.

Ok, I'm going to keep enjoying this incredible video experience!!!

pimentas

PostSat May 28, 2022 4:52 pm

Hi! I'm having similar issues. But i'm completely new to the UMP 12K (or any other BMD camera actually).

Did you say that if you connect the URSA Mini Recorder to your computer, it recognises the SSD inside?
Because I can't get it to work like that. In fact I can't even format the SSD card inside the camera. Most of the times the camera does not "see" the SSD.

I'm using a PM983 2.5'' 3.84TB SSD (PCIe Gen3), supposedly. The truth is that i got it super cheap and it does not have the SAMSUNG logo. So I'm a bit suspicious.

Do you think you can give me any hints?
Thanks

pimentas

PostSat May 28, 2022 6:32 pm

And I was also planning to read from the SSDs using either the Icy Dock adapter you mentioned or this one:
https://www.icydock.com/goods.php?id=402 (although I can't find it for sale anywhere).

I wonder what people are using for this purpose...

Return to Post Production