Mini Converter no UHD output to TV

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Adam Prest

Mini Converter no UHD output to TV

PostMon May 30, 2022 3:12 am

I have a "Mini Converter SDI to HDMI 6g UHD"

it's connected to an sdi output from a BM decklink 4k extreme and has an HDMI output going to a sony bravia OLED tv.

2k and HD outputs are working fine through this pipeline at all framerates. When I switch to UHD or 4k at any framerate the TV gives no signal.

When I connect the same hdmi cable to the PCs gpu hdmi out I can do UHD at 60fps no problem to the TV.

The mini converter should be capable of taking a UHD SDI and outputting a UHD HDMI.

Any ideas?

mpetech

Re: Mini Converter no UHD output to TV

PostTue May 31, 2022 3:29 pm

Adam Prest wrote:I have a "Mini Converter SDI to HDMI 6g UHD"

it's connected to an sdi output from a BM decklink 4k extreme and has an HDMI output going to a sony bravia OLED tv.

2k and HD outputs are working fine through this pipeline at all framerates. When I switch to UHD or 4k at any framerate the TV gives no signal.

When I connect the same hdmi cable to the PCs gpu hdmi out I can do UHD at 60fps no problem to the TV.

The mini converter should be capable of taking a UHD SDI and outputting a UHD HDMI.

Any ideas?

With 6G, the converter is limited to 30fps at 4K resolution. Does your TV support 30 FPS or less at 4K?

Adam Prest

PostTue Jun 28, 2022 4:39 am

mpetech wrote:
Adam Prest wrote:I have a "Mini Converter SDI to HDMI 6g UHD"

Any ideas?

With 6G, the converter is limited to 30fps at 4K resolution. Does your TV support 30 FPS or less at 4K?

Yes the TV supports UHD 60fps 30fps 25fps 24fps 23.976fps all tested and working on the GPU hdmi out.

Adam Prest

PostTue Jun 28, 2022 4:40 am

I did manage to get UHD working through the mini converter, I just had to switch from RGB 4:4:4 (which works at 2k) to YCbCr 4:2:2 in the desktop video software and now the TV shows the UHD output from the decklink just fine.

mpetech

PostWed Jun 29, 2022 2:31 am

Adam Prest wrote:I did manage to get UHD working through the mini converter, I just had to switch from RGB 4:4:4 (which works at 2k) to YCbCr 4:2:2 in the desktop video software and now the TV shows the UHD output from the decklink just fine.

Correct. Your converter is only 6G. It does not have the bandwidth to support 4K 60fps at 4:4:4. Switching it to 4:2:2 effectively halved the color bandwidth for transmission.

Return to Post Production