Cross Dissolve

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

TheXLKBear

Cross Dissolve

PostMon Oct 03, 2022 9:48 pm

I'm finding that sometimes I'm able to use "Cross Dissolve" transition on most of my frames but come to some frames, within the same track, that won't allow that transformation? What can I do to get that transition to work between all the clips?

Peter Cave

Re: Cross Dissolve

PostMon Oct 03, 2022 10:22 pm

Which application? Which computer? What kind of clips etc.
Resolve 18.6.5 Mac OSX 14.4 Sonoma
Mac Studio Max 32GB

Uli Plank

PostTue Oct 04, 2022 1:48 pm

Are they shortened in the end and the beginning?
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Ellory Yu

PostTue Oct 04, 2022 4:31 pm

Try nudging the end of the previous clip and the beginning of the next clip. If the cut doesn't align, at times the cross-dissolve transition won't drop it.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

TheXLKBear

PostTue Oct 04, 2022 8:40 pm

Uli Plank wrote:Are they shortened in the end and the beginning?
Yes. I'm making a YT short and I do have some clips that are pretty short.

Ellory Yu wrote:Try nudging the end of the previous clip and the beginning of the next clip. If the cut doesn't align, at times the cross-dissolve transition won't drop it.
Okay, I will give that a shot.

When I closed down DVR and went back to it several hours later, I was able to add those transitions I wanted. Not sure why. There must be a cache situation going on there maybe.

TheXLKBear

PostSun Oct 16, 2022 8:02 pm

DVR 18.0.1

I started a new project and it's not a short. Is there a reason I'm not able to apply the "Cross Dissolve" transition between anyone of my clips? I drag the trans between two clips and it just doesn't allow me to lay it in. Any ideas? Any help would be great.

TheXLKBear

PostSun Oct 16, 2022 8:21 pm

Figure it out. I don't have enough frames to trim clip in order to make the transitions. Thank you though.

TheXLKBear

PostSat Nov 05, 2022 9:29 pm

Uli Plank wrote:Are they shortened in the end and the beginning?

Yes. The problem was that the clips were too short on each side to get the transition to work correctly.

DavidVogt

PostSun Nov 06, 2022 6:50 pm

The need for handles on the input and output clips has existed since a and b rolls in film. You cannot do a dissolve or wipe or … without complete overlaps on both shots for the full length of the transition. The slide trim in Resolve can be very helpful, although it won’t fix cases where the camera start or stop doesn’t give you the extra footage you need.
Mac Studio ultra
Monterey 12.4
128 GB ram
2 TB SSD
48 TB HD disc storage, multiple RAIDS

TheXLKBear

PostSat Nov 19, 2022 6:15 pm

DavidVogt wrote:The need for handles on the input and output clips has existed since a and b rolls in film. You cannot do a dissolve or wipe or … without complete overlaps on both shots for the full length of the transition. The slide trim in Resolve can be very helpful, although it won’t fix cases where the camera start or stop doesn’t give you the extra footage you need.

Thank you so much.

Return to DaVinci Resolve