Scrub Timeline with Scroll Wheel

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

JaredIsham

Scrub Timeline with Scroll Wheel

PostThu Dec 08, 2022 2:14 am

Is there any way to set the scroll wheel to scrub the timeline like a jog shuttle wheel?

In premiere if I hover the mouse over the program window and use the scroll wheel the timeline scrubs forward and backwards depending on the direction I scroll the mouse scroll wheel. I can't find any setting to turn on timeline scrubbing, only audio scrubbing.

There should be timeline scrubbing since there are hardware tools that allow this, right?
Filmmaker/Director/Editor
www.jaredisham.com

Uli Plank

Re: Scrub Timeline with Scroll Wheel

PostThu Dec 08, 2022 2:37 am

See page 58 ff for all options you have with a mouse.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

JaredIsham

PostThu Dec 08, 2022 6:40 am

Thanks. I guess that would be a feature request or I need a new device to do that.
Filmmaker/Director/Editor
www.jaredisham.com

Uli Plank

PostThu Dec 08, 2022 7:23 am

Try to get the Speed Editor second hand.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Ellory Yu

PostThu Dec 08, 2022 12:21 pm

I think there is a mouse that has a horizontal scroll capability but the brand and model escapes me. Aside from the Speed Editor, the Contour Shuttle PRO V2 (see link) does let you scrub the DVR timeline with its jog wheel.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... RO_v2.html
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

kinvermark

PostFri Dec 09, 2022 2:01 am

@Ellory

FYI, the contour devices are simply keyboard/keystroke redirectors so you should be able to mimic this on a better programmable mouse. I don't have time to look this up but there should be a mapping file for davinci on the contour site... don't think it's JKL , maybe just repeated arrow keys?
Windows 10 laptop. Intel i7-10750H, 32GB RAM, Nvidia 4070 ti Super eGPU, SSD disks. Resolve Studio (latest)

Ellory Yu

PostFri Dec 09, 2022 7:05 am

kinvermark wrote:@Ellory

FYI, the contour devices are simply keyboard/keystroke redirectors so you should be able to mimic this on a better programmable mouse. I don't have time to look this up but there should be a mapping file for davinci on the contour site... don't think it's JKL , maybe just repeated arrow keys?

Mark,
My contour shuttle pro v2 let’s me use the jiggle to scroll the timeline out of the box. No programming at all. I did make the buttons to keyboard shortcuts though. As for programmable mouse, yes there are a number of them that will let you map but I don’t have them so can’t recommend one.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Steve Fishwick

PostFri Dec 09, 2022 10:44 am

kinvermark wrote:... don't think it's JKL , maybe just repeated arrow keys?

It is JKL for Shuttle, arrow keys for Jog, usually, with most of the supplied templates, but you can changed them to any keystroke you want, including combinations, such as Alt-J/L, which on a lot of NLEs allows you to shuttle in slow speed up to fast speed. Jog is impossible to get ultra smooth, because you can't map the mouse movement to the jog wheel, but for it's price it's pretty useful, more so in Avid for me, since it has dynamic Shuttle, that can be mapped to JKL and unlike the Speed Editor, it works in just about every app. The software hasn't been updated in years though.

Return to DaVinci Resolve