Broadcast safe levels

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Petehikers

Re: Broadcast safe levels

PostFri Dec 09, 2022 11:33 am

Field dominance seems to be a FCPX issue. Its a little lazy in converting framerates when you dont tell it to render in higher quality. (optical flow)

Andrew Kolakowski

PostFri Dec 09, 2022 2:14 pm

It’s all bulshxxx.
Don’t waste your time with this auto QC for things other than gamut, loudness etc. (those described by accurate math). Rest is useless. I tried about all tools and things like tape dropout etc. is simply unreliable. You get 100s or false alarms and real dropout is very likely to be missed!

Petehikers

PostSat Dec 10, 2022 6:36 am

Did you get false "field dominance" alerts as well? I cannot make it go away. I even rendered out my graphics in 50p instead of 25p to be sure I will get proper 50i on my timeline. Still I get the same alerts.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostSat Dec 10, 2022 10:24 am

It’s totally unreliable, so forget about those errors or learn that 95% of them is false.
The more different checks you turn on the more false errors you will get.
It can show you that field dominance keep changing even if your file is perfect.
If you preview properly interlaced content you see straight away bad field order.
You really need to stop trusting those QC tools so much.

Petehikers

PostMon Dec 12, 2022 8:01 am

Thanks again for all your help!! I finally managed to get Telestream to work. It took LOTS of time, as setting up the S3 storage and applying the rights for telestream to work wasnt flawless at all - and there were no presets for broadcast available. At least with pulsar I found those RGB value error, corrected it by making the scene a little brighter and now there are no RGB alerts in Pulsar or in Telestream qualify anymore. It was during a very short camera pan shot so I just had to animate the brightness level of the scene. So in the end it helped, but still its strange that a "broadcast safe" filter with stricter settings plus the Adobe Media encoder with strictest video limiter settings didnt get me safe colors.. I will scan all my deliverables in the future just to be safe.

The other checks from telestream could be useful as well:
one progressive (psf) scene in my interlaced timeline - which was right.
Audio transients - in this case clicking noise which was intended, but could be useful.
Freeze frames, which detects every slight slomo I apply for a second to some clips
Audio integrated loudness, true peak max, momentary max - just to be safe for final export.
And it has this "video quality rating" graph, which is nice to have a look at..

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:It’s totally unreliable, so forget about those errors or learn that 95% of them is false.
The more different checks you turn on the more false errors you will get.
It can show you that field dominance keep changing even if your file is perfect.
If you preview properly interlaced content you see straight away bad field order.
You really need to stop trusting those QC tools so much.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostMon Dec 12, 2022 11:25 am

Those levels issues sound strange.
There should be levels limiter in AVID or Premiere ( not export one but inside project).

Petehikers

PostMon Dec 12, 2022 4:29 pm

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:Those levels issues sound strange.
There should be levels limiter in AVID or Premiere ( not export one but inside project).

It was created in FCPX with broadcast safe and then transcoded from ProresHQ to XDCAM with AME.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostMon Dec 12, 2022 5:45 pm

Hmmm… No levels limiter in FCPX?

Petehikers

PostThu Dec 15, 2022 12:59 pm

There is only this "broadcast safe" filter. I dont think it limits RGB limits, maybe just brightness. I have set it to 1,5 - which is slightly above the standard 0 setting and it passed QC - but there were complaints about "black levels too bright". If you set it stricter it raises the black level as well. I think a better way is leaving it to zero and then add the video limiter in AME for transcoding with a stricter level.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostThu Dec 15, 2022 4:29 pm

Hmmm... hard levels limiter should be easy. It just clips anything outside 'optimal' YUV levels.
R103 gamut legaliser is much more complex.

Petehikers

PostFri Dec 23, 2022 8:16 am

By the way: Media Encoder Limiter set to 100 IRE with Compression before Clipping at 20 percent was way too strict. There was a complaint that video level was too low. So I guess 105 IRE with clipping at 5 percent should be right.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostFri Dec 23, 2022 10:35 am

I don't use high percentage of roll-off. It changes picture too much.
Previous

Return to Post Production