ULTRASTUDIO RECORDER 3G not showing up in VENTURA

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

bromius88

ULTRASTUDIO RECORDER 3G not showing up in VENTURA

PostFri Dec 09, 2022 9:12 pm

Just upgraded to Ventura on my M1 Macbook. Went to plug in ULTRASTUDIO and it's just not showing up. Updated desktop video, no luck. Worked fine a week ago with MONTEREY.

Anyone else have this problem/have a solution?

Currently contemplating downgrading back to Monterey, but that leads to potentially more (worse?) headaches.

Uli Plank

Re: ULTRASTUDIO RECORDER 3G not showing up in VENTURA

PostSat Dec 10, 2022 9:08 am

Works fine here under either MacOS (I always use a sandbox system with a new OS).
Did you install Desktop Video 12.4.2?
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Gadget

PostSat Dec 17, 2022 1:50 am

I am having same problem on M1 Max Powerbook with Ventura 13.0.1. System Report sees and lists the 3G recorder as connected ok via Thunderbolt, but Desktop Video Setup reports 'No Desktop Video Devices dertected'.

Gadget

PostMon Dec 19, 2022 6:48 pm

Fixed!

Thanks to BM Support, you need to do this:

When installing Desktop Video on any Mac OS including Big Sur and beyond, you will need to allow some security and privacy settings.

This is part of Apple's increased security measures, introduced with Big Sur.

When you install Desktop Video, you need to go to your System Preferences > Security & Privacy > General, here you should then see something at the bottom of the window about allowing an extension.

This essentially allows the driver to run as part of the system. When allowed, this will require a system restart where you should see it mention rebuilding a library.

Once restarted, this should be running as expected.

This prompt in Security & Privacy is only visible for about 30 mins after installing, so if this is not visible, just uninstall and reinstall the Desktop Video software and check again.

Uli Plank

PostTue Dec 20, 2022 1:59 am

Update Ventura and Desktop video. Definitely works here with a 3G version.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

bromius88

PostSun Jan 15, 2023 12:49 pm

u guys are both using os 13.0.1?

Cuz in your signatures it says 12.6

The system preferences menu is different in ventura.

bromius88

PostSun Jan 15, 2023 12:59 pm

there is no "general" menu on the "security & privacy" menu in os13

[quote="Gadget"]Fixed!

When installing Desktop Video on any Mac OS including Big Sur and beyond, you will need to allow some security and privacy settings.

When you install Desktop Video, you need to go to your System Preferences > Security & Privacy > General, here you should then see something at the bottom of the window about allowing an extension.

giantmecha

PostSat May 06, 2023 11:13 pm

Having this same issue :x  @bromius88 were you ever able to figure this out in macOS Ventura?

bromius88 wrote:there is no "general" menu on the "security & privacy" menu in os13

Gadget wrote:Fixed!

pnewsom

PostSat May 13, 2023 5:58 pm

giantmecha wrote:Having this same issue :x  @bromius88 were you ever able to figure this out in macOS Ventura?

bromius88 wrote:there is no "general" menu on the "security & privacy" menu in os13

Gadget wrote:Fixed!

I'm having the same problem,ny luck with solving it?

kjlongtine

PostThu Jun 15, 2023 7:24 pm

Yah, Ventura 13.2.1 changed the Privacy & Security menu. I have the same issue and running out of ideas.

kjlongtine

PostThu Jun 15, 2023 7:29 pm

Confirmed that when doing a system report the device is there but desktop video says no device detected.

kingAndy

PostSat Jun 24, 2023 12:36 pm

Hi guys,

just an update on the preblematic macOS Ventura vs. UltraStudio Recorder 3G.
Yesterday on set, connected for the first time with new MacBook Pro M2 running macOs Ventura 13.0 (22A8380) to Blackmagic UltraStudio Recorder 3G. via USB-C and everything worked great!
Installed Blackmagic_Desktop _Video_12.4.2 version.
I also have Davinci Resolve 18.5 version installed.

Good luck everyody!

Uli Plank

PostWed Jun 28, 2023 3:41 am

Yes, Apple ruined something between the Ventura versions.
But, as I wrote above, a fresh install works here.

kjlongtine

PostWed Jul 12, 2023 8:58 pm

Updated to Ventura 13.4.1

Uninstalled Desktop Video Player - Reinstalled latest version - restart - No device detected. Uninstalled DVP - Installed older version(s) repeated... Confirmed cable integrity (again). No dice.

Also, tried all the other suggestions making sure device was not blocked anywhere. Confirmed the kernel file is loaded in Library and used the terminal command to try and force it - light is on the device- Monitor 3g (not recorder) - System report shows the device is there but Desktop Video refuses to see it!

Is there anyone out there that has an IT dept that uses Falcon and or CrowdStrike (maybe the same thing). I did disable them just in case but maybe the deep root is ghosted and not able to fully be disabled? My IT guy said he wrote a permission profile that would "allow" Desktop Video to load/work... just in case it was restricting something - but that failed as well. I was granted admin access and did some deep diving disabling anything that looked like a kernel killer or device blocker of any kind. I also did the reboot in recovery to change security settings (did this initially and then again to make sure it took). My only other thought is that when I am uninstalling the software (Desktop Video) maybe there is a rouge file not getting removed - I feel like I read this was an issue at one point? Would this cause a conflict of sorts that might cause Desktop Video to not see the device?

kjlongtine

PostThu Jul 13, 2023 9:03 pm

Issue FINALLY Solved!

If anyone else out there is on a MAC in a corporate IT world and you have issues getting your BM device to work... Here is what I finally discovered. A "corrected" Kernel Extension Policy Control had to be created. I do not recall where I discovered this but it was not in these forums. I passed the following onto my IT person and they edited the Permission and after a reboot the device/software immediately started updating firmware! I literally got up and did a celebration! My coworkers thought I won something... Hopefully this can help someone else out there. Here is what was missing:

Allowed System Extensions:

com.blackmagic-design.DesktopVideoDriverExtension.Helper

com.blackmagic-design.BlackmagicIO.DExt

com.blackmagic-design.DesktopVideoDriverExtension

Taylor Cahill

PostSun Jul 16, 2023 8:07 pm

Typically the move has been to enter this in the terminal:
Code: Select all
sudo cp -R /Library/Application\ Support/Blackmagic\ Design/Blackmagic\ DeckLink/Signed\ Extensions/BlackmagicIO.kext /Library/Extensions/BlackmagicIO.kext

And then in Privacy & Security clicking Allow to load the blackmagic extensions, why is this not in the FAQ or desktop video manual is maddening!

wkwojcik

PostMon Aug 21, 2023 4:42 am

Thank you so much for this solution. I'm convinced that I'm having this exact same issue. I was wondering, how exactly would I implement this solution? I'm not super knowledgable with IT, and have never had to create a Kernel Extension before.

Any help is much appreciated!
-Wade

kjlongtine wrote:Issue FINALLY Solved!

If anyone else out there is on a MAC in a corporate IT world and you have issues getting your BM device to work... Here is what I finally discovered. A "corrected" Kernel Extension Policy Control had to be created. I do not recall where I discovered this but it was not in these forums. I passed the following onto my IT person and they edited the Permission and after a reboot the device/software immediately started updating firmware! I literally got up and did a celebration! My coworkers thought I won something... Hopefully this can help someone else out there. Here is what was missing:

Allowed System Extensions:

com.blackmagic-design.DesktopVideoDriverExtension.Helper

com.blackmagic-design.BlackmagicIO.DExt

com.blackmagic-design.DesktopVideoDriverExtension

MarkSpano

PostThu Sep 21, 2023 9:00 pm

Taylor Cahill wrote:Typically the move has been to enter this in the terminal:
Code: Select all
sudo cp -R /Library/Application\ Support/Blackmagic\ Design/Blackmagic\ DeckLink/Signed\ Extensions/BlackmagicIO.kext /Library/Extensions/BlackmagicIO.kext

And then in Privacy & Security clicking Allow to load the blackmagic extensions, why is this not in the FAQ or desktop video manual is maddening!

This is great, but did not work for me today. I do not know what I need to do in order to get an Ultrastudio 4K Extreme 3 working on a Mac Pro 2019 in Monterey 12.6.9. I tried many iterations of uninstall/reinstall, including disabling SIP and removing the kext manually and then reinstalling it. The device always shows up in System Profiler under Thunderbolt devices, but the Desktop Video pref never sees it. I can, at the same time, connect an Ultrastudio 4K over TB2 and that shows up immediately, and also an Ultrastudio 4K Mini, no problem as well. No ideas here.

Username

PostMon Sep 25, 2023 12:40 am

Hi there

You should not need to disable SIP.

What do the System information show regarding the TB3 ports and US4KE? Can you post a screenshot?

After that you should:
Run the uninstaller for Desktop Video. Reboot
Run the Installer for Desktop Video.
Launch DV.
Grew up with a Nikon FM
Resolve & Fusion Studio 18.6
MBP M1 16GB/1TB
MM M1 16GB/512GB TB4 1TB & 2TB
MM i7 16GB/1TB & PowerColor Vega 56 8GB

MarkSpano

PostMon Sep 25, 2023 1:07 pm

Username wrote:Hi there

What do the System information show regarding the TB3 ports and US4KE? Can you post a screenshot?

After that you should:
Launch DV.

I don't have the device handy right now, so I can't post a screenshot, but it basically shows up under Thunderbolt/USB4 and says Blackmagic Ultrastudio Extreme 4K, totally fine. Never in Desktop Video Setup though. I have tried all the things you suggest, including multiple versions of Desktop Video installer just to see if there's a weird bug with one of them. Nothing works, and only for that device. Every other device (Ultrastudio 4K TB2, Ultrastudio 4K Mini) works just fine on every iteration. I have a belief that this Ultrastudio 4K Extreme is not working correctly, but strange that it does show up under System Profiler and the internal fan is blowing when I connect it.

Username

PostMon Sep 25, 2023 1:28 pm

Hi there.

Even non supported devices will be identified in macOS systems information.
But as I understand it you hava the "Ultrastudio 4K Extreme" with thunderbolt 2 right?
And you are using Apples TB2 to TB3 converter?

MarkSpano wrote:
Username wrote:Hi there

After that you should:
Launch DV.

I don't have the device handy right now, so I can't post a screenshot, but it basically shows up under Thunderbolt/USB4 and says Blackmagic Ultrastudio Extreme 4K, totally fine. Never in Desktop Video Setup though. I have tried all the things you suggest, including multiple versions of Desktop Video installer just to see if there's a weird bug with one of them. Nothing works, and only for that device. Every other device (Ultrastudio 4K TB2, Ultrastudio 4K Mini) works just fine on every iteration. I have a belief that this Ultrastudio 4K Extreme is not working correctly, but strange that it does show up under System Profiler and the internal fan is blowing when I connect it.
Grew up with a Nikon FM
Resolve & Fusion Studio 18.6
MBP M1 16GB/1TB
MM M1 16GB/512GB TB4 1TB & 2TB
MM i7 16GB/1TB & PowerColor Vega 56 8GB

MarkSpano

PostMon Sep 25, 2023 1:30 pm

Username wrote:Hi there.

Even non supported devices will be identified in macOS systems information.
But as I understand it you hava the "Ultrastudio 4K Extreme" with thunderbolt 2 right?
And you are using Apples TB2 to TB3 converter?

No - the device that is not showing up in DV is Ultrastudio Extreme 4K TB3. No converters involved. The Ultrastudio 4K (non-Extreme) is a TB2 device using an Apple converter and works fine. The Ultrastudio 4K Mini is a TB3 device, uses no converter, and also works fine.

MarkSpano

PostMon Sep 25, 2023 3:25 pm

benhodges

PostWed Oct 04, 2023 4:49 pm

Exact same issue for me. M1 Pro and M2 Pro Macbooks, both have the same issue. Used to work, now won't detect the device, except in System Report. The terminal commands didn't work for me.

halong

PostSun Oct 22, 2023 5:04 pm

Just a public service announcement of that this issue still seems to be a problem but that I was able to solve it.

After having no love through multiple DVP version installs (12.4-7). I ran the terminal command above.

Then Deleted Desktop Video

Restart

Then reinstalled Desktop Video --> clicked through to allow extensions in Security and Privacy

Restart --> This time I got a notice about updating my Ultrastudio (Monitor in this case) 3G.

Restart --> Digital Video then recognized the Unit.

Be sure to use a TB3 cable and not a TB4.

Good luck!

MarkSpano

PostTue Oct 24, 2023 4:29 pm

That seems to work for some but not all (see Taylor's post above and then my post). Can't quite mark this "solved" if it doesn't solve the problem completely.

driedeker

PostTue Oct 31, 2023 2:45 pm

both apple and black magic cause this. drop back to desktop video 12.1 after this a driver is not installed on all hardware. give that a try.
Mac Sonoma
Mac Ventura
Mac Monterey
Windows 10
Windows 11
Amd Rx 6900XT Nitro +se
Intel I9-14900k
Asus Maximus Hero Z790
64GB DDr5 ram
Desktop video 12.1 on all Macs
Desktop Video 12.9 on Windows
Intensity pro 4k
Resolve Studio 19.b1
Speed Editor

fozy89

PostFri Dec 08, 2023 12:36 pm

I had some hard time too to setup ultrastudio monitor 3g to Mac Studio M2 with Sonoma.
After changing cables and multiple times removing the Desktop Video app I finally realized that there was a tab on privacy and security prompting to give access. It was that simple but I am not familiar with Sonoma Settings so it took me a while.

So I finally solved my problem by following these steps:

UltraStudio 3G + TB3 Cable

1) Unistall Desktop Video app using Unistaller.
2) Restart
3) Re-install the App.
4) When prompted I went to privacy & security in settings. The tab was in the red area on the attached screenshot.
5) Restart
6) Run App and connect the device. It may take some seconds until the device is recognized. In my case I was asked to update the device so I followed the prompts.

That was it.
Attachments
screenshot.png
Sonoma Settings
screenshot.png (256.72 KiB) Viewed 7893 times

Return to Post Production