Missing audio on uncompressed SD files

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

kim_s_heaney

Missing audio on uncompressed SD files

PostFri Feb 03, 2023 5:06 pm

Hi,
I'm new to this forum and mostly new to editing in DVR (Adobe user, sometimes grade in DVR).

I am attempting to transcode some standard def master files to a mezzanine format, they are uncompressed PAL Quicktime V210 with PCM mono audio. The files are captures from archival PAL 1" broadcast videotapes.

The problem is that about halfway through each file attempted the audio drops out completely and this happens on the source clip as well as in the timeline. The original files have no such issue. The problem persists if I go to Clip Attributes and set the audio to mono (both on clip itself and in timeline).

The first one I tried worked fine but this had timecode in the right channel (track 2) with mono in the left (track 1). I just muted the right channel for export. I suspect because stereo DVR had no problem with it.

I am using a MacBook Pro 2.3GHz 8 Core Intel i9, 32GB, 8GB AMD Radeon Pro 5500M gfx chip. Running MacOS Big Sur 11.6

Is anyone aware of what the issue could be?
Thanks
Kim

Marc Wielage

Re: Missing audio on uncompressed SD files

PostSun Feb 05, 2023 4:58 am

kim_s_heaney wrote:I am attempting to transcode some standard def master files to a mezzanine format, they are uncompressed PAL Quicktime V210 with PCM mono audio.

Quicktime is just a container and can hold almost anything: H.264, DNxHD, several types of ProRes. Go to the Media Page and see what specific codec it is.

Are you using the free version of Resolve or Resolve Studio? There are some codecs that won't play in the free version.

I assume it's all 625 25fps, but do you know if it's interlaced or not? That adds another complication to the process.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

kim_s_heaney

PostMon Feb 06, 2023 10:35 am

Hey Marc, thanks for your kind and helpful suggestions!

I get that about containers. Under the wrapper it's uncompressed Component Y'CbCr 10-bit 4:2:2
The audio is Linear PCM 24 bit 48Khz sample rate

I checked the DVR supported formats document under MacOS Uncompressed. Looks like for .mov it only supports RGB 10-bit, YUV 422 8/10-bit and not Component Y'CbCr. I wonder if it's possible to download plug-ins to fix this?

What I don't understand though is why one of them worked (all files are same format) if the issue os the codec? The only difference with the one that worked was that it has 2 tracks of audio (with timecode on the right (track 2) instead of one mono track.

Uli Plank

PostTue Feb 07, 2023 1:01 am

If a tool like Shutter Encoder can read it, I'd transcode to a mezzanine codec and try again.
If the sound still acts up, export it separately as 48 kHz PCM and sync it up in DR.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Marc Wielage

PostTue Feb 07, 2023 5:04 am

kim_s_heaney wrote:Under the wrapper it's uncompressed Component Y'CbCr 10-bit 4:2:2
The audio is Linear PCM 24 bit 48Khz sample rate

Why do it uncompressed? You'd be fine with DNxHR HQX or ProRes 422HQ -- either one is way overkill for SD. You won't lose a thing, assuming 1" or 2" or 3/4" or whatever the source is.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Return to Post Production