How can I create titles for three people in a wide shot?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Keith STL

How can I create titles for three people in a wide shot?

PostTue Mar 14, 2023 5:56 pm

I know how to create a lower-thirds title for a one person interview but how do I create titles for a 3-person panel in a wide shot? I need to have a title in the center and a title on the lower-third (screen right). :| Is there a way to change the positions of titles? :cry:

Glenn Sakatch

Re: How can I create titles for three people in a wide shot?

PostSat Mar 18, 2023 3:48 pm

Are you saying you cant click on your title and move them around within the inspector panel, or just grab them and move them around?

Marc Wielage

PostTue Mar 21, 2023 8:08 am

You could create THREE title clips, stack them on the edit page, and then size them and arrange them to fit the person for whom they're created. Dissolve them in or out depending on who's speaking.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Keith STL

PostSun Mar 26, 2023 7:32 pm

I couldn't grab them and move them around.
But I took Marc Wielage's advice and it worked out great! Once I created the titles on 3 separate tracks I used the position x & y to make the titles fit under the people.
Marc Wielage wrote:You could create THREE title clips, stack them on the edit page, and then size them and arrange them to fit the person for whom they're created. Dissolve them in or out depending on who's speaking.
Last edited by Keith STL on Wed Jul 19, 2023 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shrinivas Ramani

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Mar 27, 2023 3:14 am

Consider using subtitle regions for this. While the term "region" originally referred to the screen/display area to show the caption in, it can include font/size/other formatting properties ("style") now.

As an example approach, I can:
• add a subtitle track, right click on the new subtitle track and add two subtitle regions.
• rename each region to reflect area (e.g bottom-left, bottom, bottom-right).
• select a region, and in the inspector, customize the track settings as appropriate. This is easier to preview when I have captions on that region and the playhead is on top of a caption.

Now any caption I add/move to that region will take on the settings for that region. One approach I might consider taking is to customise the position and font size for a region and override (say) font family or color on individual captions to reflect the character speaking the words. this way, when a character moves across the screen, I can move the caption to the appropriate region and retain the font/color overrides.

Keith STL

PostTue Mar 28, 2023 6:58 pm

Thanks for the advice Shrinivas Ramani. That is an approach which I never thought about but it's something new for me to try. I'm going to edit another version of my 3-person interview and I'm going to try adding subtitles then selecting a region and customize it in the Inspector.

Return to DaVinci Resolve