Re: Stack clips in timeline using timecode?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Glenn Sakatch

PostSun Mar 26, 2023 8:20 pm

Try taking each camera and auto create a timeline from it, so the clips align with their cooresponding timecode inside the timeline...then do that for the other camera...then copy one timeline into the other.

I think selecting all the camera clips, and creating timeline from selected clips keeps them spaced out on the timeline.

Kinetropico

PostMon Mar 27, 2023 2:44 am

Glenn Sakatch wrote:Try taking each camera and auto create a timeline from it, so the clips align with their cooresponding timecode inside the timeline...then do that for the other camera...then copy one timeline into the other.

I think selecting all the camera clips, and creating timeline from selected clips keeps them spaced out on the timeline.

Thank you so much Glenn for your suggestion, I just tried it and it actually worked!
Here's how I did it, in case anyone else finds it useful:

1- Created a timeline with 2 video tracks and gave it a proper name (in this case, Day 1)

2- In Media Pool, selected all clips from Camera 1, right-clicked and chose "Insert selected clips to timeline using timecode". At first I thought nothing happened, since clips were inserted in the timeline starting at the actual timecode of the first frame of the first clip and were not visible in the beginning portion of the timeline that is displayed by default.

3- Deactivated all tracks in the timeline and targeted ONLY the Video 2 track and one audio track below the last one. Selected all clips from camera 2 in the Media Pool and right-clicked to "Insert selected clips to timeline using timecode". All clips appeared as expected. Gaps are visible where each camera was stopped and started.

4- Created one more audio track below the last one in that timeline and pasted the single, long audio track from the Tentacle Track-E. Selected ONLY the first clip on the Video 1 track and the Track-E audio, right-clicked and chose "Auto Align clips based on time-code". The audio was lined up bellow the entire group of clips.

5- Since recording on the Track-E was started before both cameras and was stopped at the end of the session after both cameras, I trimmed the surplus audio track at both ends.

6- Selected everything, now synced, and dragged it all to the actual beginning of the timeline. Voilá, mission accomplished.

I think it sounds more labor intensive than it actually is, this will be part of my workflow for this project going forward.

Thanks again Glenn! :D

Return to DaVinci Resolve