Manual audio and video sync

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Richard Black

Manual audio and video sync

PostSat Jun 10, 2023 10:44 am

Hello all,

Sorry, quite new to DaVinci. My DoP shot footage in 22 fps and so the camera sound came in unsynced.
I am also using proxies to reduce the burden of 6k RED footage.
Strangely after watching both a video and reading the instructions of the manual of how to sync the sound manually, it fails. I want to do this in the media page, because doing it in the edit page means if I remove the clip I have to redo the sync again.
Here is the short youtube video, which basically imitates what the manual says:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=o_YsfqEkaKQ

Maybe this is some error I do with clicking of double clicking, but it doesn’t seem like it. I click on both video and audio (waveform) to set the playhead at the right place, then click the link button.
But nothing happens 99 times out of a 100.
I also find if annoying when I move the mouse over clips I have have set the played to mark the video clip before I sync it, the playhead often moves. Is there a way I can mark a clip in the media tab so it doesn’t move as well?

I want to sync this sound before trying to auto sync the external sound recorded.
Richard Black

Uli Plank

Re: Manual audio and video sync

PostSun Jun 11, 2023 4:21 am

Fire that idiot of a DoP! 22 fps has never been a frame rate for sound.

And then, I'm afraid you'll need to do it manually during the edit. First decide which frame rate you want to export in the end. Set the timeline/project to that rate. Now throw your video into that timeline and don't accept changes. Keep the retiming set to Nearest or Blend until final export.
Now sync with the help of the clapper. No clapper? That would have been your safety net. Another reason to blame the team. You can try and sync by eye and hand.

Do I sound cynical? Yes, but I've been trough such jobs too.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Ellory Yu

PostSun Jun 11, 2023 5:40 am

Richard, I am sorry to inform you that you will have sync issues. No one shoots in 22fps and expects the AV to sync; well except for your DoP. As Uli suggests, fire that DoP He/she gives DoP a bad name. Uli’s instructions to do it manually is the way to fix it, assuming that you have a clapper or a good eye to sync manually. Good luck!
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Richard Black

PostSun Jun 11, 2023 11:51 am

Hi guys, thanks for your replies. We shot some sequences in 22fp for action to speed up. I do have a clapper and the strange part is that there seems to be technical problems of syncing up the clips - but only most times. Sometimes, rarely, the technique above works. It is very strange.
Richard Black

Return to DaVinci Resolve