Overlapping Masks Help

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Brandon Miyasaki

Overlapping Masks Help

PostMon Dec 23, 2019 4:00 am

Hi DR Fam,

Hoping this is a simple question. Within the color tab, I created a mask around the white guy in the background and created another mask on the black guy's hand in the foreground. I still don't get how I can I make it so the black guy's hand doesn't change colors when it passes through the white guy's mask. See image:
hand_4.6.1.jpg
hand_4.6.1.jpg (902.99 KiB) Viewed 1265 times

Thanks in advance!

Brandon

Brandon Miyasaki

Re: Overlapping Masks Help

PostMon Dec 23, 2019 4:01 am

And to clarify, if not obvious, I applied color grading to the white guy's mask.

Marc Wielage

PostMon Dec 23, 2019 9:16 am

Brandon Miyasaki wrote:Hoping this is a simple question. Within the color tab, I created a mask around the white guy in the background and created another mask on the black guy's hand in the foreground. I still don't get how I can I make it so the black guy's hand doesn't change colors when it passes through the white guy's mask.

The second window (an occluded mask) has to be done in the same node, but created as a mask. That way, it does not get affected by the first window.

Read "Combining Power Windows with the Mask Control" in the 16.1 manual, starting on page 2242. Doing rotoscoping in Resolve is tough, but it can be done to a point. You can make an argument that this is better done in Fusion (or even as a separate external mask), but that's beyond the time and resources of some sessions.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

BrianDors

PostSat Jan 18, 2020 3:27 am

@Marc beating the world to replies with documentation references.. Never fails
WIN10
GA-Z170X-UD5 TH w/ Thunderbolt 3
i7-6700K @4 (OC'ed to 4.4) water cooled
64GB RAM @2400
GTX 1080Ti - 417.35 - DirectX12
1TB 970 EVO NVMe PCIe M.2
Resolve Studio 15.2.2

Marc Wielage

PostSun Jan 19, 2020 10:17 am

BrianDors wrote:@Marc beating the world to replies with documentation references.. Never fails

That's why I'm here!

I could go into a 4- or 5-paragraph explanation of how to do it, but it's already explained very well in the manual. I think they should use the term "occluded mask" because it's kind of a VFX thing that explains what happens when an effect (or a color correction) goes behind another object. Once you understand that principle, the ideas for a whole bunch of other things will open up.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Return to Post Production