UltraStudio 4K and Catalina - No Hardware Detected

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

TCPerch

UltraStudio 4K and Catalina - No Hardware Detected

PostFri Jan 17, 2020 3:06 pm

Needed to update MacPro (Late 2013) to Catalina. BlackMagic support site said latest Desktop Video would work with Catalina, so went for it. Everything works great on Catalina except for Desktop Video says "No Hardware Detected". Have been emailing support. But have come to an end with what we can figure out.

All programs quit. Symantec Endpoint Protection was uninstalled. Uninstalled and reinstalled Desktop video - with many reboots in between - had to because Catalina security would not always pop up a warning. So kept uninstalling/reinstalling to make sure we get warning. UltraStudio worked just about 2 hours prior to update, so I'm pretty sure it is still functioning. The Mac System Report shows the UltraStudio 4K plugged into the TB port. Went so far as to make a new Admin User Account and try installing there - same results. Local workstation, not on a domain.

We are at an impasse at the moment as to what to try next. I can try pulling the US4K out of rack and plug into another Mac to test, but it still needs to connect to that one Mac.

Short of wiping drive and installing everything from scratch, any ideas? I'm hoping.... because at this point I'm not sure that would work.
Thank you!

jerrygladh

Re: UltraStudio 4K and Catalina - No Hardware Detected

PostSun Jan 19, 2020 10:23 am

My US4k works just fine in Catalina (Mac Pro 2019)

Didn't update my 2013 Mac Pro to Catalina though...

Jerry
DR Studio | Mac Pro 7.1 16c | 192 GB Ram | 2x RX 6900 xt | MBP M1
BM G2 | G1 | 3xP6kPro | Canon C300 M3, R5c, XF605
Asus PA32UCG, Eizo CG 318, 319 | Atomos Sumo 19SE | LG C9
Atem Mini Extreme| Ultrastudio Mini 4k | Mini Panel

JonPais

PostSun Jan 19, 2020 4:26 pm

TCPerch wrote:Needed to update MacPro (Late 2013) to Catalina. BlackMagic support site said latest Desktop Video would work with Catalina, so went for it. Everything works great on Catalina except for Desktop Video says "No Hardware Detected". Have been emailing support. But have come to an end with what we can figure out.

All programs quit. Symantec Endpoint Protection was uninstalled. Uninstalled and reinstalled Desktop video - with many reboots in between - had to because Catalina security would not always pop up a warning. So kept uninstalling/reinstalling to make sure we get warning. UltraStudio worked just about 2 hours prior to update, so I'm pretty sure it is still functioning. The Mac System Report shows the UltraStudio 4K plugged into the TB port. Went so far as to make a new Admin User Account and try installing there - same results. Local workstation, not on a domain.

We are at an impasse at the moment as to what to try next. I can try pulling the US4K out of rack and plug into another Mac to test, but it still needs to connect to that one Mac.

Short of wiping drive and installing everything from scratch, any ideas? I'm hoping.... because at this point I'm not sure that would work.
Thank you!

Mine is working too. Have you tried this?
https://daejeonchronicles.com/2020/01/1 ... -detected/
https://daejeonchronicles.com

TCPerch

PostTue Jan 21, 2020 4:49 pm

Mine is working too. Have you tried this?

I have not seen that! I really hope it's that easy! :)
Thanks!

TCPerch

PostTue Jan 21, 2020 5:05 pm

Nope. Security does't show anything being blocked from loading. We made sure we had gotten the security warning on install, so we had already "allowed" Desktop Video to be installed. Which is why I'm guessing we're not getting the option to allow any blocked software.
TC

TCPerch

PostThu Jan 30, 2020 8:32 pm

Update... Apparently a Catalina update dropped. After that installed and restarted MacPro, Desktop Video is now working! After all the restarts we went through to try and get this to work - an Apple update is what did it. :/
Not sure what was in that update, but glad this is working now.
Thanks!

Lon Keller

PostFri Feb 07, 2020 3:01 pm

I'm having the same issue. I recently upgraded (not a reformat and clean install) to Catalina 10.15.3 from Mojave. Everything worked with the upgrade, including video output from BMD US4K. I then upgraded to the latest Desktop Video software, 11.4.1. That's when the "No Hardware Detected" error began. My only solution was to roll back the Desktop Video Setup software to version 10.11.2. Any version beyond that results in the "No Hardware Detected" error message.

JonPais

PostSat Feb 08, 2020 7:59 am

Lon Keller wrote:I'm having the same issue. I recently upgraded (not a reformat and clean install) to Catalina 10.15.3 from Mojave. Everything worked with the upgrade, including video output from BMD US4K. I then upgraded to the latest Desktop Video software, 11.4.1. That's when the "No Hardware Detected" error began. My only solution was to roll back the Desktop Video Setup software to version 10.11.2. Any version beyond that results in the "No Hardware Detected" error message.

I'm running Catalina 10.15.3 on a 2017 iMac with UltraStudio 4K Mini and latest Desktop Video Setup and it's working smoothly. Catalina is not the issue. Have you tried this yet?

https://daejeonchronicles.com

CrescentmoonHD

PostSat Feb 22, 2020 12:01 am

Hi all .. I'm late to the party here ... But migrating today to my Mac Pro 2019 with Catalina from Mac Pro 2013. Was running Sierra on Trashcan .. with 4K Ultrastudio .. Premiere and Resolve .. everything was happy .. You guys have any suggestions for which version BM Driver update to load> // Assuming the latest?... or anything special you has to do to make a smooth transition ...?

Thank you all!!
mark

igoramaral

PostFri Aug 28, 2020 6:40 pm

I've the same problem here! Catalina and Mini Monitor. After some update it's stucked! It's terrible.

Felix Drawe

PostThu Jun 03, 2021 1:07 pm

Same Problem with Ultrastudio 4K on Intel Macbook//Big Sur 11.4

Hardware is recognized in System Overview.

Security is on for Blackmagic Software, but it is not recognised.

I can de-install it, re-install it and reboot. Then the Ultrastudio is recognised.

But if i start again it is lost again.

Have to repeat the whole process. But I can't do this in a professional environment all the time.

Very frustrating!

Any ideas?

Than you.

Return to Post Production