eGPU Pro TB3 Issues

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

infotechstudio

eGPU Pro TB3 Issues

PostMon Jan 20, 2020 5:32 pm

Am I the only one who cannot get the eGPU Pro to work correctly when booting up. I have an Asus Pro Art connected to a 2019 Mac Pro and it works perfectly when connected with directly to the W580X card that came with the Mac Pro or even when connected to a Calldigit TB3 Hub.

If however, I plug it into the eGPU Pro, it won't recognise the monitor being there unless I unplug the TB3 cable and plug it back in again. Then it does recognise it but defaults the display back to Default Scaled which just drives me mad.

I wasn't sure if the monitor had to be plugged into the eGPU Pro directly or not but after some testing I've noticed it doesn't get get used by FCPX unless the display is directly connected to the eGPU.

Any help would be appreciated and yes it's on latest firmware.

Dejan Špagnut

Re: eGPU Pro TB3 Issues

PostTue Jan 21, 2020 8:16 pm

Have you found anywhere that connecting eGPU to a desktop computer (not iMac or Mac Mini, but a Mac Pro) is actually fully supported by OS X and software? It sounds like OS and software is somewhat confused by what you are trying to do. Not to mention using a $1200 device for a task that can be accomplished better by a similar $300 graphic card without thunderbolt bottleneck.

If you connect eGPU Pro to Mac Pro 2019, and connect monitor directly to internal 580X, have you chosen eGPU in the "Render/Share GPU" in FCPX preferences? Without doing that FCPX will simply use graphic card connected to the monitor.

Return to Post Production