Using eGPU for other GPU intensive applications

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

rjanke

Using eGPU for other GPU intensive applications

PostSun Feb 16, 2020 4:37 pm

My company just purchased the eGPU Pro to give my MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2018 2.9GHz i9, 32GB RAM with built in Radeon Pro Vega 16 4GB) some extra power when on the road. It connects correctly, is identified by the system, and I can tell MacOS that I want After Effects, Encoder, and Premiere to prefer the external GPU. But in the activity monitor is sits idle while the internal Radeon does all the work - along with the cooling fans. I do have all applicable applications set to Mercury Playback Engine GPU Acceleration (Metal) - Recommended set.

Clearly I am missing something, If anyone has any thoughts, I would appreciate the assistance. I have read that reinstalling the Adobe apps may be an option...haven't had a chance to try that yet.
Roy Janke
Supervising Video Editor (2)
Bell Media Studios North
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Username

Re: Using eGPU for other GPU intensive applications

PostMon Feb 17, 2020 3:13 pm

A little depending on your macOS, internal or external display, force an application to make use of the eGPU etc.
Here's some good hints from Apple.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT208544
Grew up with a Nikon FM
Resolve & Fusion Studio 18.6
MBP M1 16GB/1TB
MM M1 16GB/512GB TB4 1TB & 2TB
MM i7 16GB/1TB & PowerColor Vega 56 8GB

rjanke

Re: Using eGPU for other GPU intensive applications

PostTue Feb 25, 2020 6:42 pm

Thanks, I had come across the same article. Apologies for the delayed response, I was away editing (in Resolve WITH the eGPU). I do find it interesting that, despite the eGPU working at the OS level (ie. nothing to install - it just appears), that the Adobe applications don't make use of it. I did go through all of my applicable Adobe apps and selected "Prefer External GPU".

Perhaps things may work better when I upgrade to Catalina...even the latest eGPU firmware can't be installed on a non-Catalina system. I just have to wait until all my main applications are certified for that OS.
Roy Janke
Supervising Video Editor (2)
Bell Media Studios North
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Return to Post Production