Premier to Resolve-AAF or XML or EDL = bad ins & outs

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Fishman

Premier to Resolve-AAF or XML or EDL = bad ins & outs

PostSat Feb 22, 2020 12:21 pm

I’ve tried everything I can think of or read about.
This just won’t work.

Goal:
export consolidated* sequence of footage to DaVinci Resolve for colour correct

Parameters:
timeline is 4096x2160
footage is from four different cameras (Sony F5, Panasonic GH5, GoPro4, DJI MavicPro2) all with different resolutions and frame rates.

Process:
-created a new, clean project
-imported sequence from original (full)project
-stripped timeline of all effects (except speed changes)
-deleted all audio from timeline
-consolidated media (no handles)
-export AAF
-import AAF into Resolve and link consolidated media* - most clips’ in & out points are bad/useless
-export XMF
-import XMF into Resolve and link consolidated media* - most clips’ in & out points are bad/useless (exactly the same)
-export XMF/AAF
-import XMF into Resolve and link original media - most clips’ in & out points are bad/useless (exactly the same)
-export EDL (blech!) and flattened video file (double blech!!) and the timeline would not see the original clip and it appears was useless anyway as the empty red-clips in Resolve had no relation to the cut points in the flattened video.

Note when I said “most” above. I cannot find a correlation between when they work and when they don’t
Some seem to be related to wether I edited the original timeline from a subclip vs the original clip.
Some seem to be related to speed changes I did in the timeline
(I know, I have a lot of nerve assuming an AAF or XML in 2020 can handle the math of a speed change!!!)
- but a lot of the clips have no speed change and are not sub-clips and yet they are messed up.

Then I thought it might be the proxies messing things up (because when I consolidate it insists on consolidating the proxies). No difference…although when I deleted ALL the proxies the consolidation* just created new proxies(!)

I’m leaning the “blame" it on the Sony F5 footage
(shot at 60fps but playing back at 24)
But I’ve done this process before with other footage that was shot the same way
and with similar complexities with absolutely no problems.

(* note that I have had a lot of problems getting Premiere to play nice with consolidating. I had create a brand new project and import the sequence just to get Premiere to consolidate ONLY the media related to the sequence because "exclude media"’s checkbox had no affect on PP’s desire to make a copy of every, single, teeny, tiny file related to the project. I went through and deleted ALL my proxies but it still made new ones during the consolidate. Then I went and deleted all my media cache files and still PP kept making new proxies during consolidation. Arrrrghhhh! Anyway, back to AAF/XML nightmares… )

When I reimport the same AAF back into Premiere, everything works perfectly.
Premiere's likes Premiere’s AAF files. Go figure.
Resolve user groups I've read about similar stuff tend to just blame Premiere.
But I’m here in this user group hoping someone thinks of something I haven’t.

Anyone?

Thank you

><({(º>

antoine

Re: Premier to Resolve-AAF or XML or EDL = bad ins & outs

PostMon Feb 24, 2020 3:31 pm

Hi,
Are you using Blackmagic RAW in Adobe Premiere Pro ? There is a timecode bug in Adobe CC Video softwares, that leads to time shifts, more information here https://autokroma.com/blog/BRAW-Wrong-Timecode-Adobe-Premiere-Pro/
BRAW Studio FREE and Premium for Adobe Premiere Pro and After Effects, with a brand new Desktop .BRAW Player and Color Grader, as well as an automatic White Balance Color Picker tool

Glenn Sakatch

PostSat Feb 29, 2020 2:25 am

Quite often list issues out of Premiere are the result of frame rate conversion inside premiere.

Look at the clips that don't work. I'm guessing at least some of them are not in the same frame rate as your sequence.

Now look at the timcecode that premiere is trying to say you want to use for that clip.
Now look at that timecode on the master clip itself. (if that timecode actually exists) does it look like the same frame?

The problem is Premiere is telling resolve that this clip that is actually 29.97, is a 23.98 clip, or what ever your timeline is set to. Therefore, resolve is looking for the wrong frame from the start.

Avid does a proper frame rate conversion, and maintains the information pertaining to the original fps of the source clip, so it works much better.

antoine

PostTue Mar 03, 2020 4:47 pm

If you really suffer from the timecode bug I talked about, we have a new feature in our Panel with BRAW Studio to export, from a Premiere Pro timeline, a correct FCP .XML. More information here : https://www.autokroma.com/blog/BRAW-Studio-Export-XML-DaVinci-Resolve/
BRAW Studio FREE and Premium for Adobe Premiere Pro and After Effects, with a brand new Desktop .BRAW Player and Color Grader, as well as an automatic White Balance Color Picker tool

Return to Post Production