Extra second hand MacBook Pro & Resolve

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Eric-Jan

Extra second hand MacBook Pro & Resolve

PostSat Mar 07, 2020 12:43 am

Just bought a secondhand MacBook Pro, with much better specs than the one i already have,
On both i want to run Davinci Resolve the better specs one has already Catalina OS on it, my other one has Sierra on it, because i did not want to put the new file system on it,
So, on the better specs one i can install the latest Davinci Resolve, this can be done under a new BlackMagic Design registration ? or do i run into problems, when exchanging files from one to the other ?
Intensity Shuttle, ATEM Mini, Video Assist 5"(mini USB), Hyperdeck ShuttleHD,Analog to SDI mini-converter, software: Davinci Resolve 15 on Sierra, Resolve 18 on Catalina. (Using Apple OS 32 & 64 bit on different MacBook Pro's

Uli Plank

Re: Extra second hand MacBook Pro & Resolve

PostSat Mar 07, 2020 2:02 am

Studio or free?
Your database will be incompatible, but you can move .drp files from the older to the newer version.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Eric-Jan

PostTue Mar 10, 2020 10:07 am

Thank you, after setting up my Apple account, which was not that as easy as thought it would be, i decided that i keep the Resolve workflows seperate on my Mac's anyway, to keep things simple and easy.
My 2ndhand MacBook Pro (type 11.3 max specs) is way faster than the one i bought new some years ago.
The 2ndhand runs the latest Catalina, and Resolve 16 now, i also use the Intensity Shuttle (TB2) for capture, and works also fine with the BMD software (Setup & Media Express)
I hope the different file systems will not clash for USB3 swap storage (Sierra - Catalina)

btw.
I don't have the Studio version of Davinci Resolve, but i'm very tempted for de-interlacing and image noise reduction features, also.... i might buy a BMD camera, a Studio or Pocket version, for the reason that i can record in ProRes422 that way, i use Prores422 LT/Proxy already for capturing VHS material, and since a BMD camera comes with a Studio version of Resolve... that's still a dilemma for me.
Intensity Shuttle, ATEM Mini, Video Assist 5"(mini USB), Hyperdeck ShuttleHD,Analog to SDI mini-converter, software: Davinci Resolve 15 on Sierra, Resolve 18 on Catalina. (Using Apple OS 32 & 64 bit on different MacBook Pro's

Username

PostSat Mar 14, 2020 7:16 am

Running APFS on the system disk on the newer secondhand Mac will not cause any problem with the older one running HFS+ file system.
The only things you need to keep in mind is to format all external drives to HFS+ filesystem if you want to move them between the Macs.

And remember that the Sierra Mac OS no longer receives any security updates from Apple. Three generations is supported so High Sierra is as of now the lowest supported macOS version. Many software developers stick to the same three generation support life span.
Grew up with a Nikon FM
Resolve & Fusion Studio 18.6
MBP M1 16GB/1TB
MM M1 16GB/512GB TB4 1TB & 2TB
MM i7 16GB/1TB & PowerColor Vega 56 8GB

Eric-Jan

PostSat Mar 14, 2020 12:01 pm

Thank you for this very useful information !
For my 1st MBP = MacBookPro12,1 i did not upgrade from Sierra, because what i understand is that i also must re-install the software i put on it, because of the new file system, and have to input their licenses/registrations,
plus that, is the MacBookPro12,1 up to it running the new OS performance wise.
The (2ndhand) 11,3 MBP came with Catalina installed, on an account without password, and i installed my account next to it so i guess i should also add a password to the 1st account, or delete it.

The 2nd MBP is perfect for render and post work, but what you're saying is, i should update the 1st MBP minimal to High Sierra ? if i want to connect it to the internet, and will keep up to date for updates for my (own) installed software ?
I want to keep using both MBP's because for 2 i have use for that, video streaming wise with the ATEM mini.
Installing High Sierra means: this will erase my own tools/Apps ?

Username

PostSat Mar 14, 2020 3:14 pm

Yes. At least upgrade it to 10.13.6 if you are using it connected to the net.

If your production work flow is Catalina safe, then you can upgrade the second hand 11,3 MBP to Catalina as well. Your MBP will patch its firmware and update the SSD from hfs+ to APFS on its own and then perform the upgrade to 10.15.

It is very smooth.

But as always. Back up the data first although I have not had any catastrophic data losses at work and I’ve probably done hundreds of these updates.
Grew up with a Nikon FM
MBP M1 16GB/1TB

Eric-Jan

PostSat Mar 14, 2020 3:51 pm

Okay, thanks, what i now understand is, i can do a non-destructive upgrade from Sierra to High Sierra,
and my current tools/apps will keep working because there's not yet made the switch to an other xxbit system with High Sierra, but i will get OSX updates support from Apple.
And on the external drives i keep using the HFS+ file system on.
Looks like a very good workable situation for me, Thank you for your help on this !

Username

PostSat Mar 14, 2020 5:32 pm

If your production workflow is functional for you on the Catalina MacBook Pro. Then you can upgrade the Sierra-Mac to Catalina as well.
https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201475

If you want to take smaller steps, upgrade the Sierra-Mac to High Sierra.
With the Macs on High Sierra and Catalina it does not matter if you have formatted external drives with hfs+ or apfs. They will both work for you without any trouble.
https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201372

But APFS is the preferred format for SSDs and flash drives. APFS was designed for SSDs and it really shines on SSDs.
For HDD/rotational drives HFS+ is the better choice. APFS works but it does not offer the benefits it does in SSDs.
Grew up with a Nikon FM
MBP M1 16GB/1TB

Eric-Jan

PostSat Mar 14, 2020 8:23 pm

Yes, i now understand what i have to do, While working on the MBP with Catalina, i tried to install the same tools/apps as i have on the Sierra MBP, some of them will not work on Catalina, due to the lack of support for Catalina for some reason. (i will check if this is filesystem related, or 64bit related, if these stand unrelated to each other)
So i guess i take the small steps like you said, i will upgrade the Sierra MBP to High Sierra, so i get still support for the OS by Apple, and i can still use the tools/apps that will not work on Catalina, if i notice i don't use these
anymore on High Sierra i will also upgrade that MBP to Catalina. This looks like a good plan for me, Thank you for your help !

Username

PostSat Mar 14, 2020 8:29 pm

Cool!

When it comes to 32 vs 64 bit, this is a sweet application to scan and present all your binaries and present the headaches :)
https://www.stclairsoft.com/Go64/
Grew up with a Nikon FM
MBP M1 16GB/1TB

Eric-Jan

PostSat Mar 14, 2020 9:24 pm

Thanks again, i just used the app, and i now see some important apps aren't 64bit ready, which i did not know, Audacity for example, But Uniconverter is also listed but i did a new paid install of that one and it just works on Catalina, also a tool of BMD was listed, but i trust on that, that BMD will solve that with an update...
Other good software houses will do the same in time, i hope, so it's matter of time for now,
So with two MBP's i have best of both worlds until that time :idea:

Return to Post Production