XYZ Colorspace Output

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

tyonteck

XYZ Colorspace Output

PostSun Apr 12, 2020 1:48 am

Hi,

Is there any way to output from Resolve to XYZ? So need to connect to XYZ colorspace Projector/Monitor (Sony & Christie) via SDI from computer running Resolve and DCP software. I see all the Blackmagic PCI cards and Ultrastudio output RGB 444, but I need to connect projectors and monitors that only accept XYZ colorspace. I have Ultrastudio 4k Extreme and other PCI Decklinks, but don't see how to output in XYZ colorspace.

Thanks for your help,
Todd

Steve Fishwick

Re: XYZ Colorspace Output

PostSun Apr 12, 2020 7:57 am

There is no such thing as outputting XYZ as a display colour space, there are no monitors that exclusively display in XYZ or even have that colour profile that I know of. Just about any DCI projector I know of can happily project anything from a Blu-Ray (Rec 709) to any other format as a file, as well as a DCPs. If you want to deliver with XYZ then the only method is to create an actual DCP.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostMon Apr 13, 2020 2:37 pm

You can pipe XYZ over SDI as long as your destination device understands it and can convert to end display format. This is definitely a feature of many DCI projectors.
If I remember well I tested it with RV player and "old" AJA Kona 3 card going to Christie projector.

BM cards don't offer consumer ready support for XYZ output. Not sure if it's available in their SDK either.
AJA KONA 3/4 (also Io 4K Plus) should do it.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Apr 15, 2020 2:21 am

tyonteck wrote:Hi,

Is there any way to output from Resolve to XYZ? So need to connect to XYZ colorspace Projector/Monitor (Sony & Christie) via SDI from computer running Resolve and DCP software. I see all the Blackmagic PCI cards and Ultrastudio output RGB 444, but I need to connect projectors and monitors that only accept XYZ colorspace. I have Ultrastudio 4k Extreme and other PCI Decklinks, but don't see how to output in XYZ colorspace.

Thanks for your help,
Todd

Which make and model projector accepts XYZ, and does not accept RGB?

Resolve makes DCPs in XYZ if you want them, that is the standard, but when we play them back in Resolve and convert to RGB for output to the projector. Can you list ones that don't accept RGB?
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

tyonteck

PostTue Apr 28, 2020 8:18 pm

Yes every monitor/projector I am dealing with accepts RGB. But they also accept XYZ and that is what I am trying to QC. Trying to playback DCPs from Resolve and EasyDCP players. Do not want to convert the XYZ coordinates to RGB and then send down the SDI pipe. That relies on software conversion and opens the possibility of errors. The coordinate system changes when going from XYZ to RGB depending on the colorspace that is to be set for that interpretation. That means software must assign and RGB value based on the colorspace. So that interpretation is different for P3, 709, etc.

Just want to send the original data unchanged in its native XYZ to the projector/monitor. Though theoretically the XYZ for a DCI DCP should look the same when played back using RGB output with a P3 colorspace.

Also, I am referring to the 1931 CIE XYZ colorspace which is the mother of all color spaces and encompasses the DCI P3 colorspace and much more.

Thanks for everyones input.
Todd

Andrew Kolakowski

PostTue Apr 28, 2020 11:30 pm

Resolve won't do it, but its conversion to RGB should be accurate. There is no reason why properly set Resolve would introduce any error.

You need specific AJA card + eg. RV SDI player.
You may be also able to do it with other QC tools, but most of them are quite expensive (as far as I can tell you should look for solutions based on AJA).

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Apr 30, 2020 4:00 am

Note, Resolve only works with BMD I/O products.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

jamiegau

PostSun Jun 21, 2020 4:14 am

I did this all the time with my DCI projector.
Resolve desplay device simply needs to be set to the suitable 3D lookup to DCI-XYZ output..

How and what colour space you want to work in is up to you.. But either select the correct or create a 3D LUT suitable to get you into the projector as XYZ.

Return to Post Production